The Student Room Group

Curry house chef prepared food after wiping his bottom with his bare hands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Its probably true but because more there is likely a far higher proportion of these demographics owning low cost cheap food restaurants in low economic areas.

Maybe if we insist hard enough that culture has nothing to do with it it will become true.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Maybe if we insist hard enough that culture has nothing to do with it it will become true.

I don't think you are familiar with me or my postings on culture :rolleyes:
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I don't think you are familiar with me or my postings on culture :rolleyes:

Well clearly my unfamiliarity with your doubtless highly interesting thoughts, dear random internet poster, is a sign of failure on my part entirely meriting your eye roll.
Well clearly my unfamiliarity with your doubtless highly interesting thoughts, dear random internet poster, is a sign of failure on my part entirely meriting your eye roll.

Hey dont beat yourself up, we can not all be great like me, but we can aspire
Original post by Attempt
"because he doesn't use toilet paper for 'cultural reasons"

I can't even believe I read that.

I know there's something like this in the Islamic Hadiths about not using toilet paper but Jesus Christ, this is disgusting.

Theres a reason water is used, what the guy did is revolting and no way should he have done that, but most islamic households will either have a hose or a mini sink type thing called a bidet

If you think using water is disgusting next time you shower use toilet paper instead
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 325

Maybe it is culture. I don't really GAF. Culture or no culture, nobody should be preparing food in a kitchen that contains fecal matter. That's how people get seriously ill.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Howard
Maybe it is culture. I don't really GAF. Culture or no culture, nobody should be preparing food in a kitchen that contains fecal matter. That's how people get seriously ill.

I agree there should be a much better control of hygiene, the whole point from an islamic perspective of using water is its much cleaner, however the irony is he obviously isnt clean if hes spreading fecal matter everywhere.
The problem here is people not washing their hands afterwards, and storing the water container they use for the toilet under the kitchen sink.

Whether or not one chooses to use toilet paper or water to clean up afterwards is not a problem provided other hygiene practices are followed.
Original post by Howard

Well indeed. I wasn't suggesting that culture is a justification, just a possible link to the higher proportion of Indian food establishments that get in trouble for poor hygiene.

I don't know if that's true. I'd lean towards it not being a particularly significant factor if it is one. But I'm tired of people insisting, e.g., that 'it is restaurants in general!' and 'you should be just as worried about eating in an Italian restaurant!' when the fact is they don't know any better than I do.
Reply 329
Well indeed. I wasn't suggesting that culture is a justification, just a possible link to the higher proportion of Indian food establishments that get in trouble for poor hygiene.

I don't know if that's true. I'd lean towards it not being a particularly significant factor if it is one. But I'm tired of people insisting, e.g., that 'it is restaurants in general!' and 'you should be just as worried about eating in an Italian restaurant!' when the fact is they don't know any better than I do.

I think the chances of getting sick after eating Indian or Chinese are way higher than after eating Italian. Assuming the statistics posted earlier by AngryRedHead are true and there's an obvious link between failing to meet minimum hygiene standards and people getting sick, then it stands to reason that eating at an Indian or Chinese is a lot riskier than eating Fish and Chips or Italian.
Original post by Attempt
"because he doesn't use toilet paper for 'cultural reasons"

I can't even believe I read that.

I know there's something like this in the Islamic Hadiths about not using toilet paper but Jesus Christ, this is disgusting.

I'm a Muslim and I have never heard of a hadith where you use your hand to clean your ass only. Too detailed but we wash and use toilet paper to be more clean. Would elaborate but most users won't want specific details so I am very likely thinking that this has just been interpreted wrong.

Secondly, If it is true, thank god I don't order Indian food from takeaways etc :smile: Tbh though, I eat no food from takeaways. Restaurant or home.

My mum makes a bangin' lasagne :u:
Original post by Howard
I think the chances of getting sick after eating Indian or Chinese are way higher than after eating Italian. Assuming the statistics posted earlier by AngryRedHead are true and there's an obvious link between failing to meet minimum hygiene standards and people getting sick, then it stands to reason that eating at an Indian or Chinese is a lot riskier than eating Fish and Chips or Italian.

I agree, but have a look at some of the posts on the first few pages ITT, before that had been demonstrated. There are a couple of posters getting really mad at that suggestion because it's 'racist' to be more suspicious of particular kinds of establishment.

The question now is why those numbers are as they are. My suggestion was that it can't necessarily all be chalked up to the fact that Indian and Chinese establishments are more likely to be budget options.
Reply 332
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Theres a reason water is used, what the guy did is revolting and no way should he have done that, but most islamic households will either have a hose or a mini sink type thing called a bidet

If you think using water is disgusting next time you shower use toilet paper instead

I Don't need religion or culture to teach me toilet Etiquette how to clean myself up.

I use something called common sense
Chinese culture isn't exactly renowned for its hygiene.
Public nose picking, mucus blowing, ear picking and spitting are common.

A lot of kitchen staff employed in Chinese restaurants are immigrants.

Cooking your own meals is the best way to avoid stuff like this.
I was amazed at that myself - why on earth that was allowed to happen, I will never know...

My opinion on things: if you live in Britain and work in arestaurant in Britain, you should conform to British health and hygiene standards. It's alright if you don't want to use toilet paper in Asia (or whatever place that religion is kept to), but in Britain, you should do things how it is expected to be done in Britain.
Reply 335
Original post by RivalPlayer
Chinese culture isn't exactly renowned for its hygiene.
Public nose picking, mucus blowing, ear picking and spitting are common.

A lot of kitchen staff employed in Chinese restaurants are immigrants.

Cooking your own meals is the best way to avoid stuff like this.

I work with a few Chinese. Their habits make my stomach turn. Absolutely filthy.

NO NO NO NO
That is just unhygienic and now I've lost my appetite :s-smilie:
Original post by Student403
So you base your argument off Indian restaurants being less hygienic, which is why you don't want to eat it. Fair enough

And yet in your first post you said you'll "stick to chinese" even though those restaurants are even less hygienic?. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64147503#post64147503

lol wtf

If you had read through the entirety of this thread (which tbf ain't nobody got fo' dat)

You would have seen that this data has also changed my perspective on Chinese food too
I agree, but have a look at some of the posts on the first few pages ITT, before that had been demonstrated. There are a couple of posters getting really mad at that suggestion because it's 'racist' to be more suspicious of particular kinds of establishment.

The question now is why those numbers are as they are. My suggestion was that it can't necessarily all be chalked up to the fact that Indian and Chinese establishments are more likely to be budget options.

The researchers who conducted the research put it down to language and cultural differences
Lol when King Bradly calls you a racist , you know you have problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending