The Student Room Group

Suggestions on firming masters in International Relations

Hello everyone,
I am an international student(India). I have applied to the following univs for a master's in International Relations.. Univ of Birmingham, Glasgow, Loughborough, Sussex, Essex, St Andrews and Surrey.
I have received unconditional offers for September 2016 intake from Univ of Birmingham (international relations with Diplomacy only for Birmingham), Glasgow and Loughborough. So far Birmingham tops my list. Loughborough has offered me 25% scholarship and although I'm not allowing this factor to interfere with my decision sadly it is.
I would like to know if there are others who have studied at these univs and can provide some insight. That way I know I'm firm on my decision.
Thanks.
Elle.
Original post by Elle w00ds
Hello everyone,
I am an international student(India). I have applied to the following univs for a master's in International Relations.. Univ of Birmingham, Glasgow, Loughborough, Sussex, Essex, St Andrews and Surrey.
I have received unconditional offers for September 2016 intake from Univ of Birmingham (international relations with Diplomacy only for Birmingham), Glasgow and Loughborough. So far Birmingham tops my list. Loughborough has offered me 25% scholarship and although I'm not allowing this factor to interfere with my decision sadly it is.
I would like to know if there are others who have studied at these univs and can provide some insight. That way I know I'm firm on my decision.
Thanks.
Elle.

Hi Elle w00ds

Great to hear that you're considering Loughborough :smile:

We understand it's a big decision so we'd be happy to answer any questions about the course or life at Loughborough more generally that might help!

Teresa
Reply 3
Hi Teresa,

Thank you for offering to answer my queries.
Are you studying at Loughborough?

I have some questions about the course i have applied to...Taught masters in international relations.
1. What are the job prospects after completing the course from Loughborough? What sort of job hunt support does the univ and dept provide?
2. What kind of student support and facilities will the this department offer me.
3. Do they conduct study tours? Say visits to UN etc.
4. What health care support is available for international students?
5. Are there bussaries to attend seminars or conferences on topics related to my area of interest?
6. Im a city girl. Loughborough is a town..im concerned as to whether i will be able to make that transition from city to a town.
7. Are there other scholarships specific to my dept that i can still apply for?
8. When i asked my professors about univ of loughborough they dont seem to know as compared to say glasgow or birmingham. Why is that so? Is this an accredited univ?9. 9.Since i will be living in a town, will part time jobs be available? I suppose they might be very competitive and hard to come by? If i do manage to get one would i be able to manage it alongside my studies?
10. Since this is a town, how well is it connected to major cities? How much would the travel costs amount to approximately?
11. Whats life like in a town? Generally speaking, does it get too quiet?

Regards,

Elle Woods
Hi Teresa,

Thank you for offering to answer my queries.
Are you studying at Loughborough?

I have some questions about the course i have applied to...Taught masters in international relations.
1. What are the job prospects after completing the course from Loughborough? What sort of job hunt support does the univ and dept provide?
2. What kind of student support and facilities will the this department offer me.
3. Do they conduct study tours? Say visits to UN etc.
4. What health care support is available for international students?
5. Are there bussaries to attend seminars or conferences on topics related to my area of interest?
6. Im a city girl. Loughborough is a town..im concerned as to whether i will be able to make that transition from city to a town.
7. Are there other scholarships specific to my dept that i can still apply for?
8. When i asked my professors about univ of loughborough they dont seem to know as compared to say glasgow or birmingham. Why is that so? Is this an accredited univ?9. 9.Since i will be living in a town, will part time jobs be available? I suppose they might be very competitive and hard to come by? If i do manage to get one would i be able to manage it alongside my studies?
10. Since this is a town, how well is it connected to major cities? How much would the travel costs amount to approximately?
11. Whats life like in a town? Generally speaking, does it get too quiet?

Regards,

Elle Woods

Hi Elle

Yes, I did my undergraduate studies here and enjoyed it so much that I continued on to postgraduate study :smile:

Having never studied in the PHIR department, I'd suggest contacting them directly for detailed information regarding bursaries, scholarships and study trips, etc. Their email address is [email protected]. In the meantime, however, here's a link to information about their annual study trip to Brussels and you can also find loads of information regarding graduate prospects on their website.

Broadly speaking, the NHS provide free emergency care for everyone. For information on follow-up and on-going medical care, have a look at this page.

There are plenty of opportunities to find part-time work in Loughborough, both on campus and around the town itself. During my Masters year I worked part-time in a retail job alongside my studies and I found it relatively easy to manage.

Loughborough is located in the East Midlands, and so travel to anywhere in the UK is relatively easy. Nottingham and Leicester can be reached within 30 minutes at a cost of less than £10. The train station (10 minutes from campus via a regular bus service) is on a mainline to London, which can be reached within 1.5 hours. Advance tickets can be bought for less than £20, and sometimes less than £10 depending on when you want to travel. You can also apply for a Student Railcard which will give you an extra 1/3 off these prices. Loughborough is a lively market town and students make up a large part of its population. It is quieter during the holidays, inevitably, but with many major cities so easily accessible you'll never be stuck for something to do!The best way to get a feel for how you'd find life at Loughborough is to visit us. We're holding a number of Open Days throughout the summer. You can find more information about available dates here.
I hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know :biggrin:

Teresa
Reply 5
Hi Teresa,

Thank you for sharing your inputs and answering my questions.
I am an international student so it is diffcult for me to visit the university on Open Day.

I have some more questions:
1. I am a mature student. Will i be considered for student discount cards?
2. What kind of security is available for women at the university accomodition halls and on campus?
3. What kind of alumni support does the univ offer? How strong is the alumni community of this university?
4. How reliable is Univ of Loughborough's career guidance support? Especially at the masters level?
5. Private accomodition at Loughborough decent and cheaper or the university accomoditon..any idea which one is better?
6. Whats the asian and Indian student strength studying here?
7. What the night life like here? Clubs? Discos? Hehhe..i love dancing once in a while.

-Elle
Hi Teresa,

Thank you for sharing your inputs and answering my questions.
I am an international student so it is diffcult for me to visit the university on Open Day.

I have some more questions:
1. I am a mature student. Will i be considered for student discount cards?
2. What kind of security is available for women at the university accomodition halls and on campus?
3. What kind of alumni support does the univ offer? How strong is the alumni community of this university?
4. How reliable is Univ of Loughborough's career guidance support? Especially at the masters level?
5. Private accomodition at Loughborough decent and cheaper or the university accomoditon..any idea which one is better?
6. Whats the asian and Indian student strength studying here?
7. What the night life like here? Clubs? Discos? Hehhe..i love dancing once in a while.

-Elle

Hello Elle

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds like you'd benefit from having a chat with our International Office. The best person to contact is Rob Reeves, who can be contacted directly on [email protected]. Hope this helps! :smile:
Teresa
Reply 7
Hello Teresa,

Thank you for your reply.

Sure. Will contact the international office.

-Elle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending