The Student Room Group

Eton is cheaper in terms of contact time

In terms of hourly rate (based on the average 11 hours a week contact time students have in their courses) it now costs double to attend ANY university then it does to attend Eton College. Unbelievable...probably the most over-priced thing in the history of the UK.

Scroll to see replies

What? It costs £35,800 excluding other costs to attend Eton for 1 year..?

Contact time isn't reflective really. Courses that have limited contact hours tend to be made up with hours you need to invest outside of university. Artwork, reading lists etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
My college costs more than Eton a year for boarders :lol:
Reply 3
Should Eton increase their fees then? :tongue:

Original post by ivybridge
My college costs more than Eton a year for boarders :lol:

Which college? I feel like I can guess this tbh.
Original post by BWV1007

Harrow?
Original post by BWV1007

I'm not going to put my school on here, man :smile:.
Reply 6

I think I've got an idea now anyway. Calling it 'college' gave everything out. :tongue: I know two people here who went there (if we're even talking about the same school).

Can't be Leys as that's not as expensive as Eton, I don't know any close to Essex that are more expensive other than Harrows.

I'm intrigued.

:dontknow:
Original post by hezzlington
Can't be Leys as that's not as expensive as Eton, I don't know any close to Essex that are more expensive other than Harrows.

I'm intrigued.

:dontknow:

Nah, I have a few friends at The Leys. The Leys is less expensive, as is Haileybury, Bishops Stortford College, New Hall, Felsted etc.etc.
Original post by BWV1007
I think I've got an idea now anyway. Calling it 'college' gave everything out. :tongue: I know two people here who went there (if we're even talking about the same school).

Probably not. You can message me the name if you want.
Probably not. You can message me the name if you want.

It's more than £36k a year?! That's crazy! Never heard of it. Even Kings Ely isn't that expensive.
Reply 11
What? It costs £35,800 excluding other costs to attend Eton for 1 year..?

Contact time isn't reflective really. Courses that have limited contact hours tend to be made up with hours you need to invest outside of university. Artwork, reading lists etc.

No...sorry going with the below logic.

Eton College - 55 hours a week of supervised contact time for students £35,800...36 weeks a year = £18.08 an hour

Any university £9000 a year - 26 weeks a year...11 hours supervised contact time a week = £31.46 an hour.
Seeing the above posts about private school fees makes me glad I go to a grammar school which is better and free.

Besides, OP, how is £9000 a year larger than £30000 a year? Eton (and any private school) is a waste of money while going to university has at least some benefits, depending on what career you want to go into.
It's more than £36k a year?! That's crazy! Never heard of it. Even Kings Ely isn't that expensive.

It's about £41,000 a year for boarders I believe. And that's excluding books, food (apart from dinner), trips, Easter revision classes, etc.etc.

Kings Ely isn't worth even £20,000 in my opinion :lol:
Original post by Trapz99
Seeing the above posts about private school fees makes me glad I go to a grammar school which is better and free.

Besides, OP, how is £9000 a year larger than £30000 a year? Eton (and any private school) is a waste of money while going to university has at least some benefits, depending on what career you want to go into.

Yeah, that depends pal.

So does a private education...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daftpunker
No...sorry going with the below logic.

Eton College - 55 hours a week of supervised contact time for students £35,800...36 weeks a year = £18.08 an hour

Any university £9000 a year - 26 weeks a year...11 hours supervised contact time a week = £31.46 an hour.

Doesn't make sense to calculate it like that.

Access to resources you'd never use at A level, cutting edge research that's not always taught in secondary school (I had a whole lecture debunking many things I was taught at A level - taught in textbooks). And university is about independent learning. So contact hours are a very small amount of the time you spend 'at university'. Add up the hours you spend doing work, dissertation, research, coursework, revision for exams and this would greatly surpass time spent at Eton. Besides, some of us have contact hours that are pretty much 9 - 5 THEN loads of work too.
Original post by Trapz99

Doubt it, probably more valuable than an Oxbridge degree.
It's about £41,000 a year for boarders I believe. And that's excluding books, food (apart from dinner), trips, Easter revision classes, etc.etc.

Kings Ely isn't worth even £20,000 in my opinion :lol:

No school is worth that much! But some of these places (eton included) are incredibly beautiful and Hogwartsy and I'd of loved to go there. My secondary school failed ofsted inspection, had a failing infrastructure (you can literally punch holes through the walls. We used to pass food to friends in other lessons), terribly bad teachers. If I'm ever rich, I'd want my kids to go somewhere with a rich history and amazing architecture, (and of course brilliant teachers).

It's white lodge isn't it... I bet it is the RB school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, that depends pal.

Well, my school does have more people getting into Oxbridge and RG unis than private schools do, so I'd say it is better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending