The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Accommodation in Lancaster town?

Hi, I'm currently in my first term of first year undergrad at Lancaster, and I'm staying in an ensuite on campus this year, but I've found I really don't like sharing a kitchen, so I'm thinking of getting a studio in town next year.

I've been looking at either Hello Student's 99 Penny Street or St Leonard's House. St Leonards house is a little above my budget at £185 per week but I think I could make it work if it would be worth it. Has anyone stayed in the Standard Studio here? What's the rest of the building like and is it noisy with it being so central?

99 Penny Street's prices aren't up yet but I believe it may be a bit cheaper, if anyone can give me an idea of the prices and contract lengths over the last couple of years for the different studio options I would be grateful! Anyone who has stayed there: do the buses get crowded on the way to campus, is the location good (not too noisy, near enough to shops), and would you recommend it?

Are there any other places in town that do studios on a term time contract (40-44 weeks) for max £180 per week that you would recommend?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I'm currently in my first term of first year undergrad at Lancaster, and I'm staying in an ensuite on campus this year, but I've found I really don't like sharing a kitchen, so I'm thinking of getting a studio in town next year.

I've been looking at either Hello Student's 99 Penny Street or St Leonard's House. St Leonards house is a little above my budget at £185 per week but I think I could make it work if it would be worth it. Has anyone stayed in the Standard Studio here? What's the rest of the building like and is it noisy with it being so central?

99 Penny Street's prices aren't up yet but I believe it may be a bit cheaper, if anyone can give me an idea of the prices and contract lengths over the last couple of years for the different studio options I would be grateful! Anyone who has stayed there: do the buses get crowded on the way to campus, is the location good (not too noisy, near enough to shops), and would you recommend it?

Are there any other places in town that do studios on a term time contract (40-44 weeks) for max £180 per week that you would recommend?

Hey Anon,

I've not lived in a studio in town so I can't share much on those points - however, I did live in a house very close to 99 Penny Street during my 2nd year and I can say the location is great. It's incredibly convenient as it's basically next to the high street and almost every main shop in Lancaster, two of the main bus stops are a 2 minute walk from there on either side at most. The buses can get quite crowded around certain times (usually around 9-10am and again at 4-5pm on weekends), though this year Stagecoach introduced dedicated buses starting at the infirmary bus stop to ensure students setting off from there would be able to catch a bus.

It can be a little loud on typical big nights out (Wednesdays and Fridays) though really I've found it's not too much more than the 'quieter' residential area I'm living in this year.

Hope this helps!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Hi,
I'd recommend looking on the Lancaster university homes website, as this lists all houses and studios in Lancaster where the Landlord has been accredited by the university, this means they have been checked to ensure they are good quality. https://www.lancasteruniversityhomes.co.uk/SearchResults/1. On the website you can filter by the type of accommodation and where abouts in town you want to live.
It looks like there's some Penny street apartments for £170, and some Aparto studios by the train station.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 3

Hi! I live in Victoria court (hello student). The location is ideal and not far from bus stops at all ( 2 minutes to George street or the infirmary) it’s not loud at all, my room doesn’t face the street and I can hear the sirens at night or when my windows open. The management are lovely too! I pay 130 for en-suite shared apartment and I believe it’s always around £160 for the studios last year so it might go up when they release prices, but I’m sure if you contact hello student they might be able to provide an approximate price! The contract lengths were 40 or 51 weeks starting in September! Depending on the time of day buses can get crowded but they are very very frequent.
Reply 4

Hi my daughter stayed at 99 penny street. i cannot post pics on this newly formatted TSR, it sucks, it only asks me to put in a url, like they are on my laptop lol. So ive uploaded the photos on my you tube community page, and also posted a short video of the kitchen on the first floor, shared between 12. She had a gold ensuite.
video of 99 penny st kitchen
99 penny street accommodation gold ensuite

Hey Anon,
I am currently in Luneside and this is my second year here because I love it so much here. Its a quiter area as compared to St Leonards or Penny street if thats something you like. I believe their studios are also from around £184 per week from next year.
Although I share my kitchen, some of my friends have studios here and they are absolutely delightful. In terms of security and services, its also a great student accommodation. It is a tad bit further away from the town centre (around 7-10 mins walk) from Sainsbury, but its a river side walk so if thats something you enjoy I would recommend looking at it and book a viewing.
Another alternative could be damside if you wish to be in the centre of the town, it is right opposite the bus station. I understand damside is cheaper and price can also be negotiated. Its yearly contract is the same as what I'm currently paying for my en-suite after being negotiated.

I hope this helps 🙂
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending