The Student Room Group

Firm and Insurance Choices similar grades, advice?

So the closing date for getting in your firm and insurance choice is drawing closer (2 weeks) for those who have not yet submitted theirs. I'm intending to firm my offer from Uni of Sheffield (AAB), however I'm a little unsure about my insurance choice. I'd like to put Uni of Liverpool as my insurance but the fact that the grade requirements are very similar (ABB) kind of worries me. I'm on target for these grades, what worries me is that there's not much room for error, however. Any advice?
Reply 1
I think that Liverpool as insurance is okay, but its about how confident you feel. If you know you definitely wont hit Sheffield dont bother with it. If you think that you might f*ck up so badly that you'll miss your firm by more than one grade then id insure a lower one. It depends how capable you feel you are, how driven you are to achieve it and how well you know yourself. If you know that when you do badly you really f*ck everything up go for a lower entrance like BBB/BBC maybe even lower. If you tend to only mess things up then you should be more than safe with Liverpool's ABB.

My offers were AA, AA, Unconditional/280 points(which i already have). So having an insurance wasnt a hard decision as if i missed my firm AA and my insurance was AA ive missed that too. So mine is the Unconditional. Although I could theoretically f*ck up that badly!
Original post by donte
I think that Liverpool as insurance is okay, but its about how confident you feel. If you know you definitely wont hit Sheffield dont bother with it. If you think that you might f*ck up so badly that you'll miss your firm by more than one grade then id insure a lower one. It depends how capable you feel you are, how driven you are to achieve it and how well you know yourself. If you know that when you do badly you really f*ck everything up go for a lower entrance like BBB/BBC maybe even lower. If you tend to only mess things up then you should be more than safe with Liverpool's ABB.

My offers were AA, AA, Unconditional/280 points(which i already have). So having an insurance wasnt a hard decision as if i missed my firm AA and my insurance was AA ive missed that too. So mine is the Unconditional. Although I could theoretically f*ck up that badly!

Thanks for the response :smile:

I've just completed a Baccalaureate course, and both Liverpool and Sheffield have stated that they'll accept it as the B grade. So realistically all I'd need to achieve is AA or AB. In history I've had an A in HY1, HY2 and HY3, so as long as I don't bomb the last exam I'm fine. On one hand I'm worried about the consequences of something happening and me bombing my exams completely, and not getting into university, but at the same time I don't want to end up in a university I'm not set on going to. It's a difficult decision :/
Reply 3
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Thanks for the response :smile:

I've just completed a Baccalaureate course, and both Liverpool and Sheffield have stated that they'll accept it as the B grade. So realistically all I'd need to achieve is AA or AB. In history I've had an A in HY1, HY2 and HY3, so as long as I don't bomb the last exam I'm fine. On one hand I'm worried about the consequences of something happening and me bombing my exams completely, and not getting into university, but at the same time I don't want to end up in a university I'm not set on going to. It's a difficult decision :/

I have the exact same problems, hence I always have about 50 back up plans that can take place of not getting into a certain university or doing worse than expected. If you can maintain your revision and grades for the next week and reckon you can keep it up for the next 2 months then Id firm Liverpool. If you start to falter or lose motivation then I'd firm something lower. And make a back up plan ie you'll get a fulltime job or you'll apply to another college and resit your exams. It'll take the stress off and stop you worrying and if worst comes to worst then you've already thought about what you'd like to do when you werent upset and were sound of mind. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest