The Student Room Group

Doubt regarding UCAS choices ?

Hypothetical question :

(1)Course A ( Uni X) : requires minimum grade : A* ,A* , A
(2)Course A ( Uni Y) : requires minimum grade : A*, A, A
(3)Course A ( Uni Z) : requires minimum grade : A , A ,A

Scenario 1 : Could I put for (2) confirmed choice and (1) : insurance ?
choice ?

Scenario 2 : Could I put (2 ) confirmed choice and (3) insurance choice ?

I am 99.9% sure Scenario 2 is obviously correct and possible & Scenario 1 is implausible .

Sorry for this silly question .
(edited 5 months ago)
Provided the unis have given you these offers, then yes, you can do either scenario. People usually choose an insurance choice with lower grades than their firm choice, so if they don't get the grades for firm, they are more likely to get into insurance.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Supposing in scenario 1 you don't get into uni Y. Do you think that with grades below what uni Y will accept, you will be likely to still get into uni X? This is a genuine question. You may know something about both unis or the subjects you are doing or some other factor which makes it likely that X will let you in at two grades below, but Y won't let you in with one grade below, say. Remember that if you achieve the grades for Y, you can't then decide to go to X after all.

And in the event that you don't get into either uni, have you got a back up plan for a uni you think will be in clearing?
absolutely correct .insurance choice should be grade lower or two than confirmed choice . that is only logical thing to do.
Original post by MATHSMAVERICK2
absolutely correct .insurance choice should be grade lower or two than confirmed choice . that is only logical thing to do.

Firm choice should be your favourite REGARDLESS OF GRADES.

Insurance choice should be somewhere you would be HAPPY to go, ideally with either lower conditions or a higher chance of accepting lower grades than the offer or with alternative courses with lower entry requirements

No one should be picking a firm and insurance until April at the very earliest
Thanks PQ , Artjen & ScienceBean for your invaluable thoughts and advice . I am very grateful .🙏. Wishing you all a lovely evening.
Original post by PQ
Firm choice should be your favourite REGARDLESS OF GRADES.

Insurance choice should be somewhere you would be HAPPY to go, ideally with either lower conditions or a higher chance of accepting lower grades than the offer or with alternative courses with lower entry requirements

No one should be picking a firm and insurance until April at the very earliest

Yes, I 100% agree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending