The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Advice about acommodation for new students

Hi there! So I'm a student at Abertay and I've been in the uni halls for almost 8 months now and wanted to give you some advice. First at all, avoid at any cost the university halls, they are a completely rip-off (lesson learned). There's no intimacy as the janitors/contractors/Peter the eel are coming into your room/kitchen like 1000 times to check 1893219847392 different irrelevant sh*ts. Plus, there are false fire alarms at many times and they check them every single week, which means that if you're sleeping you'll be freaking out. Not only that, but apart from paying about 400 quids (more like 500) a month, you'll have to pay for the washing machine (2.50 each time) and the cheeky bastards will tell you that you shouldn't dry the clothes in your room because the walls will get damaged and therefore you should use the dryer (1.50). I'm currently at Meadowside and know people from the other halls and we're all really pissed off. Last but not least, the materials they use for the stuff is absolutely sh*it, and they even have a list of the price of EVERYTHING, so they can happily charge you as they want if anything gets broken (it will). We're still waiting if they'll charge us for something before we leave.

Ps. I forgot to say that in Meadowside there's just one washing machine and one dryer for THE WHOLE BUILDING, which means 8 flats by 9 people each = 72 people, which means you'll be screw*d because it is always busy (plus it gets often broken because they are a completely bunch of _______)

So, WHAT CAN YOU DO?

If it's your first year and want to meet people I'd completely recommend you halls and, as the uni ones are not an option, I'd say prime living (the old Mill) is a very decent (and cheaper) one.

All in all, don't pay a single pen to the uni halls because they don't deserve them. Glad to help.
Reply 1
Thank you for you feedback, really. Could you (or even someone else) give your (or his) opinion about Parker House? Just to have an idea of each one, even if I noticed you wrote in another topic about that.
University logo
Abertay University
Reply 2
Original post by hank1996
Thank you for you feedback, really. Could you (or even someone else) give your (or his) opinion about Parker House? Just to have an idea of each one, even if I noticed you wrote in another topic about that.

Parker House

Is it expensive? Probably the most expensive, but compared to other student places its way better: you get what you pay for
Janitors/Contractors/Maintenance? They're always there, just pop over the reception, sign a maintenance sheet and they'll come over that day
Fire alarms? Once a week scheduled but you'll get a few false ones a month, same with any other student place
Washing Machines? Rip-off? I guess, but there's enough for everyone

Honestly the shittest thing about Parker House is students, especially in freshers since they'll stay outside chatting or hold house parties but that's a given in any student accommodation
Reply 3
Original post by jay10101
Parker House

Is it expensive? Probably the most expensive, but compared to other student places its way better: you get what you pay for
Janitors/Contractors/Maintenance? They're always there, just pop over the reception, sign a maintenance sheet and they'll come over that day
Fire alarms? Once a week scheduled but you'll get a few false ones a month, same with any other student place
Washing Machines? Rip-off? I guess, but there's enough for everyone

Honestly the shittest thing about Parker House is students, especially in freshers since they'll stay outside chatting or hold house parties but that's a given in any student accommodation

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Two question: are washing machines a rip off as much as the ones in other accommodation?
I think there is a regulation about party or having guests. How much are they strict about it?
Original post by hank1996
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Two question: are washing machines a rip off as much as the ones in other accommodation?
I think there is a regulation about party or having guests. How much are they strict about it?

Thanks for your input @jay10101 :smile:

Hey @hank1996, Parker House is one of our residents so hopefully we can help with any questions you may have.

The onsite washing facilities are managed by Circuit Laundry, and the price for a wash is £2.80, and £1.30 for a dry. I believe that Circuit Laundry manage the other halls facilities too, and this is a set price.

With regards to guests staying over, just let your flat mates know out of common courtesy. Guests can stay for two consecutive nights, any longer and you'll need to let the team down in reception know.

Quick Reply

Latest