The Student Room Group

a452 OCR Computing Controlled Assessment HELP

So, basically in year 10, we had a teacher who taught us nothing in Computer Science the whole year and so we did no theory. In year 11, the teacher we had was sacked. Then our class got a new teacher, who only has a ICT degree, and she was learning as we were learning, so she had absolutely no clue about LMC or how to prepare us for the a452 CA. Once we completed the controlled assessment, she decided to give one of my friends work (who she gave an A*) to a teacher at another school (who can teach Computing), and they graded it a C and said that we needed to so much differently.

So now our class is so confused on how to improve our a452 CA.
Does anyone have any tips or advice on how we could get good grades in the CA?

She said that we have to do testing throughout like in A453, but im not sure how we would do testing for LMC. As the tasks don't ask us too, and i thought that we had done testing, in tasks 1 and 2 already.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey! It sounds like you've had a pretty awful experience with Conputing, sorry to hear about that!

Last year my school also focused on LMC for the second piece of coursework & my teacher is basically a God when it comes to teaching the subject so here's a few pointers about what I included & how to include them to a pretty high standard (I got full marks in it so hopefully it should help):

-Begin with an initial investigation; what is LMC? What does the program do to execute a success instruction? What commands are used to produce a piece of code?
- Summarise your investigation; what did you find? How will this help you throughout your project?
- Tasks 1-3 are pretty simple so if you need any help with them, just let me know!
- Tasks 4(i) & 4(ii); begin with a task analysis, outlining what the questions are asking, produce a flowchart or pseudocode on how to identify the logic behind the program, obviously write the program and annotate the purpose of different sections of code, test the success of the program by entering different numbers into the accumulator (does it produce what you expected in the output box? If not, how would you solve this error?)
- Tasks 5 & 6 are again pretty self explanatory so if you need any help on them, just let me know.

Hope this helps!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by GCSEStudent386
Hey! It sounds like you've had a pretty awful experience with Conputing, sorry to hear about that!

Last year my school also focused on LMC for the second piece of coursework & my teacher is basically a God when it comes to teaching the subject so here's a few pointers about what I included & how to include them to a pretty high standard (I got full marks in it so hopefully it should help):

-Begin with an initial investigation; what is LMC? What does the program do to execute a success instruction? What commands are used to produce a piece of code?
- Summarise your investigation; what did you find? How will this help you throughout your project?
- Tasks 1-3 are pretty simple so if you need any help with them, just let me know!
- Tasks 4(i) & 4(ii); begin with a task analysis, outlining what the questions are asking, produce a flowchart or pseudocode on how to identify the logic behind the program, obviously write the program and annotate the purpose of different sections of code, test the success of the program by entering different numbers into the accumulator (does it produce what you expected in the output box? If not, how would you solve this error?)
- Tasks 5 & 6 are again pretty self explanatory so if you need any help on them, just let me know.

Hope this helps!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your advice, especially task 4, i will definitely adhere to it. :smile: :smile:
May i ask how you annotated your screenshots and how you did testing throughout?
e.g. did you explain each line of your code that you wrote in LMC, for example "LDA A1, OUT, LDA A2"

Congratulations on getting full marks btw!!!
Original post by أنيسة
Thank you so much for your advice, especially task 4, i will definitely adhere to it. :smile: :smile:
May i ask how you annotated your screenshots and how you did testing throughout?
e.g. did you explain each line of your code that you wrote in LMC, for example "LDA A1, OUT, LDA A2"

Congratulations on getting full marks btw!!!

I took a section of the program e.g. the initialisation phase, & commented upon the function and purpose of it. In terms of testing, after making the code, I made a testing plan outlining what I would need to do in order to achieve my success criteria from my task analysis e.g. I may have discussed testing only odd numbers or even numbers, or just entering one number for task 4 (ii) and the expected outcome for that test.

And thank you! Did you do alright in your first piece of coursework in comparison to this one if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Thanks again :smile: -

Do we have to include a test plan? It's just that my teacher said we didn't have to but idk if it will mean more marks.

And in my a453, I got an A, but it was just borderline :smile:
Original post by أنيسة
Thanks again :smile: -

Do we have to include a test plan? It's just that my teacher said we didn't have to but idk if it will mean more marks.

And in my a453, I got an A, but it was just borderline :smile:

I don't think it's a necessity, but especially for this task, it's good for referring back to in your evaluations for task 5!

And that's much better- hope the exam goes well for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I don't think it's a necessity, but especially for this task, it's good for referring back to in your evaluations for task 5!

And that's much better- hope the exam goes well for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for all your help :smile:, I hope so too :biggrin:

Just one last thing - my deadline is tommorow night and I was wondering if I could send my a452 coursework to get an opinion on it. I would really appreciate it :smile:.
Original post by أنيسة
Thank you for all your help :smile:, I hope so too :biggrin:

Just one last thing - my deadline is tommorow night and I was wondering if I could send my a452 coursework to get an opinion on it. I would really appreciate it :smile:.

Yeah, that's absolutely fine - send away!
Reply 8
Yeah, that's absolutely fine - send away!

Thank you so much! :smile:
Please see attatched - sorry in advance- its a little muddled up
Original post by أنيسة
Thank you so much! :smile:
Please see attatched - sorry in advance- its a little muddled up

Whilst your tasks are actually different from the tasks I had, I'll try and give you relevant feedback as far as possible:

- First off, tasks 4 and 5 are thorough, detailed and appear relevant to the task set. The only slight comment I would make is that in your task 5, you refer to your programmer as a "he"; does the task explicitly reference the programmer as a male? If not, speak generally about the gender.
- I like how you've decided to implement research throughout as it provides support for your explanations, although in certain areas it does seem like you've just taken the content of a website and randomly placed it into your presentation. Remember to make your research relevant to the task, don't over-do the research and paraphrase sections without trying to include everything that the website has given you.
- Task 1-3 seem well-executed, especially your explanations of code and the testing undertaken is rigorous and relevant. However, I do think your testing would benefit from a testing plan - it will structure your testing in a sense that it shows that you've first thought about what you want to test, and have then went onto fulfilling this.
- In the tasks were it asks you to design your own piece of code, I would personally analyse the task given and create a list of success criteria that you think that you must include in your program in order for it to work. You should then reference this in your evaluations.

Has this been updated since your teacher informed you it was a C? I'd say it's a clear high B if not an A at this point.
Reply 10
Whilst your tasks are actually different from the tasks I had, I'll try and give you relevant feedback as far as possible:

- First off, tasks 4 and 5 are thorough, detailed and appear relevant to the task set. The only slight comment I would make is that in your task 5, you refer to your programmer as a "he"; does the task explicitly reference the programmer as a male? If not, speak generally about the gender.
- I like how you've decided to implement research throughout as it provides support for your explanations, although in certain areas it does seem like you've just taken the content of a website and randomly placed it into your presentation. Remember to make your research relevant to the task, don't over-do the research and paraphrase sections without trying to include everything that the website has given you.
- Task 1-3 seem well-executed, especially your explanations of code and the testing undertaken is rigorous and relevant. However, I do think your testing would benefit from a testing plan - it will structure your testing in a sense that it shows that you've first thought about what you want to test, and have then went onto fulfilling this.
- In the tasks were it asks you to design your own piece of code, I would personally analyse the task given and create a list of success criteria that you think that you must include in your program in order for it to work. You should then reference this in your evaluations.

Has this been updated since your teacher informed you it was a C? I'd say it's a clear high B if not an A at this point.

Thank you so much for your feedback :smile:. It will most definitely help me finalise my work.

And, sorry if I was unclear before, but my teacher didn't mark my work. She had only marked the A* student's one, which the guy graded a C and decided to give us feedback based on that. So I don't know my initial grade.

I didn't think I was even close to a B, with the feedback my teacher had given haha.
Ahh, I see and it's no bother at all, I'm glad to have helped somehow!

As I say, this should definitely achieve a high B or A as it meets the demands of the mark scheme, and that's all your teacher can ask of you.

Hope you end up with the grade you deserve and goodluck with the written exam!
Reply 12

As I say, this should definitely achieve a high B or A as it meets the demands of the mark scheme, and that's all your teacher can ask of you.

And ill let you know how it goes!!!
Has anyone done task 3 in the a453 CA? I have got the scores to be saved to a cvs file however every score is saved in the cvs file not just the last three. Also the programs i use to display the data as stated on look at the first 4 entries in a line. Does anyone no how to look at the last three? If so please reply it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by NextGenRemix
Has anyone done task 3 in the a453 CA? I have got the scores to be saved to a cvs file however every score is saved in the cvs file not just the last three. Also the programs i use to display the data as stated on look at the first 4 entries in a line. Does anyone no how to look at the last three? If so please reply it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hello :smile:, i'm not the best at computing, but i can help you from what i did.

In my task 3, in excel, we were told to only write the last 3 scores. (i don't know if your supposed to write all the scores) Therefore, when you import the file into Python it only displays the scores you have saved. That's probably why every score is saved, but i'm not sure:

Here's a picture of what my database looked like:
PIC .jpg

Also, is this how yours is displayed, when you execute your program?
Attachment not found

Hope i've helped :smile:
Original post by أنيسة
Hello :smile:, i'm not the best at computing, but i can help you from what i did.

In my task 3, in excel, we were told to only write the last 3 scores. (i don't know if your supposed to write all the scores) Therefore, when you import the file into Python it only displays the scores you have saved. That's probably why every score is saved, but i'm not sure:

Here's a picture of what my database looked like:
PIC .jpg

Also, is this how yours is displayed, when you execute your program?
Attachment not found

Hope i've helped :smile:

Mine displays the name next to the max score then a new line is started for a new name. Yours is so different to mine loool
Do you only allow the student to play the test 3 times so only three scores are saved?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
OTE=NextGenRemix;64532933]Mine displays the name next to the max score then a new line is started for a new name. Yours is so different to mine loool
Do you only allow the student to play the test 3 times so only three scores are saved?

We didn't have to create a game? We just created random data in excel to be saved lol :smile: - we probably didn't make a game because of how messed up the teaching was - not sure if it was required.

In terms of how its displayed- what i showed was just what's displayed when you run it.
Then when the user chooses one of the options, this is what's displayed:

pic 3.jpg
Reply 17

Hi, just wanted to let you know that my teacher marked my a452 and said it was a B :smile:. Thanks for all your help
Original post by أنيسة
Hi, just wanted to let you know that my teacher marked my a452 and said it was a B :smile:. Thanks for all your help

Aw, that's so good to hear!! Well done!! And it's no bother at all- thank you for telling me!

Goodluck with the rest of your exams!:yes:
My A453 hasn't been marked yet we think our teacher has been fired..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending