The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

what topics does everyone find the hardest? i hate the t tests calculations and yh
Original post by alevelyh
what topics does everyone find the hardest? i hate the t tests calculations and yh

Biodiversity is my worst topic, it has so much boring content. My idiotic teacher skipped it all and told us to do it in our own time and didn't bother to teach us anything. Anyone know how to make it easier to learn?
Original post by Yesitisi
Biodiversity is my worst topic, it has so much boring content. My idiotic teacher skipped it all and told us to do it in our own time and didn't bother to teach us anything. Anyone know how to make it easier to learn?

Omg skipped it all? My teacher skipped out some of biodiversity but I'd say along with plant defences it's the most boring so they're probably my worst. As for making it easier to learn maybe try some youtube videos? I'm going to try that because it must be more interesting than out of the textbook 💤
same with our teacher she skipped most of our biodiversity
I'm not sure why but I just can't seem to get my head into biodiversity...
Reply 65
You guys know what kind of statistical calculations we need to know?? T-test? Chisquared, spearmans rho??
Does anyone know the sort of extent we need to know the plant defences?
I know the different ones they have and i know callose deposition and necrosis in detail, but do we have to do the same for phenols, terpenoids and alkoloids?

Also, what sort of questions are there on classification and evolution? Still haven't really learnt them...
man I got a B is gcse maths and the math in both papers is gonna **** me
Reply 68
Original post by Gogregg
Does anyone know the sort of extent we need to know the plant defences?
I know the different ones they have and i know callose deposition and necrosis in detail, but do we have to do the same for phenols, terpenoids and alkoloids?

Also, what sort of questions are there on classification and evolution? Still haven't really learnt them...

You can find what you need to learn in the Ocr syllabus, just type it up for our year 2016. You actually scare me with phenols, terpenoids and alkoloids?is that even biology, I've not come across that

Original post by OddFuturez
man I got a B is gcse maths and the math in both papers is gonna **** me

Same 😂 I think they give you formulas for like Simpsons index and standard deviation but you need to learn all the little calculation, it's not that hard once you know them all
Original post by plower
You can find what you need to learn in the Ocr syllabus, just type it up for our year 2016. You actually scare me with phenols, terpenoids and alkoloids?is that even biology, I've not come across that

Same 😂 I think they give you formulas for like Simpsons index and standard deviation but you need to learn all the little calculation, it's not that hard once you know them all

I guess we probably don't, then, but the specification is just so vague sometimes, i have no idea what to learn and what not to :colondollar:

Edit: it only says 'to include the production of chemicals' what does that even mean? What chemicals!?
Phenols, terpenoids and alkaloids?? What 😳😨:redface:😂
Original post by ChelK321
Phenols, terpenoids and alkaloids?? What 😳😨:redface:😂

It's in the textbook?
It's in the textbook?

Oh goshh what page?? I'm really scared for bio tbh
Original post by PanickingYear12
Oh goshh what page?? I'm really scared for bio tbh

I feel like that's how everyone feels :lol:

These exams are not going to go well :s-smilie:
Original post by Gogregg
I feel like that's how everyone feels :lol:

These exams are not going to go well :s-smilie:

Have you done the specimen papers? Our teacher set the breadth one as a mock exam in class, but the multiple choice was so hard we all ended up talking and struggling through it together. In the end he just let us use the books and share our answers it was that hard!
Reply 76
It's in the textbook?

Pretty sure that's chemistry...

Original post by Gogregg
I guess we probably don't, then, but the specification is just so vague sometimes, i have no idea what to learn and what not to :colondollar:

Edit: it only says 'to include the production of chemicals' what does that even mean? What chemicals!?

Oh I get it, it means plants have chemical defences against pathogens as well as physical defences,because they produce antimicrobial chemicals which kills pathogens or inhibit their growth, etc. There's some example to it that you probably should know as well, These should be in your textbook!!
Original post by PanickingYear12
Have you done the specimen papers? Our teacher set the breadth one as a mock exam in class, but the multiple choice was so hard we all ended up talking and struggling through it together. In the end he just let us use the books and share our answers it was that hard!

Yeah, i have, we did a paper made up essentially of multiple choice from the specimen papers we don't have access to, and i just scraped 50% looking back on it, the multiple choice isn't as difficult now, still scary though...
what subjects does everyone do? I do bio, English lit, history and latin.
what subjects does everyone do? I do bio, English lit, history and latin.

Woah sound like tough a levels. I do Bio, chem, maths and psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending