The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

If I get 6A*s 1A 4Bs and 1C for my upcoming GCSEs (wish me luck) what would a Cambridge admissions officer think of these grades? How much of a chance do I have of getting in?
Original post by NattiiiP
If I get 6A*s 1A 4Bs and 1C for my upcoming GCSEs (wish me luck) what would a Cambridge admissions officer think of these grades? How much of a chance do I have of getting in?

1) For which course?
2) That's a common applicant profile

Just to note that as per all the earlier discussion in this thread, GCSEs may not be as important as other aspects of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

I got 6A*s too and got an offer. GCSE alone won't break or make your application (apart from medicine, maybe). I know how it feels right now for you, but let me tell you that the important thing now is to give your best to GCSE exams and do as well as you possibly can, choose your A level subjects wisely and start building your profile with relevant reading/other activities after the exams - rather than worrying about your hypothetical grades. Remember, nothing to lose by applying.

If the C is in drama or PE and you are applying for NatSci with A* in maths, sciences and English then it's strong. if you are applying for English and the Bs and C are in English, History and languages and you are doing Linear A levels it's a disaster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirYusufXXV
is 5A*, 3A, 3B enough??

Don't set a limit try and aim A* for all of them for the best chance
Original post by jneill
1) For which course?
2) That's a common applicant profile

Just to note that as per all the earlier discussion in this thread, GCSEs may not be as important as other aspects of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by C0balt
I got 6A*s too and got an offer. GCSE alone won't break or make your application (apart from medicine, maybe). I know how it feels right now for you, but let me tell you that the important thing now is to give your best to GCSE exams and do as well as you possibly can, choose your A level subjects wisely and start building your profile with relevant reading/other activities after the exams - rather than worrying about your hypothetical grades. Remember, nothing to lose by applying.

Original post by Colmans
If the C is in drama or PE and you are applying for NatSci with A* in maths, sciences and English then it's strong. if you are applying for English and the Bs and C are in English, History and languages and you are doing Linear A levels it's a disaster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The C is in fact PE :smile:, I'm thinking of doing CompSci and these are my specific GCSE grades (the minimum I'm hoping to get):
Maths - A*
ENG Language - B
ENG Literature - B
iGCSE ICT - A
ECDL ICT - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Computing - A*
Sociology - B
PE - C
German - B

And these are my A-Level choices (I've already been accepted into a college for next year and I'll be doing these subjects providing I do as expected at GCSE):
1) Maths
2)Further Maths
3) Physics
4) Computer Studies

What do you think?
The C is in fact PE :smile:, I'm thinking of doing CompSci and these are my specific GCSE grades (the minimum I'm hoping to get):
Maths - A*
ENG Language - B
ENG Literature - B
iGCSE ICT - A
ECDL ICT - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Computing - A*
Sociology - B
PE - C
German - B

And these are my A-Level choices (I've already been accepted into a college for next year and I'll be doing these subjects providing I do as expected at GCSE):
1) Maths
2)Further Maths
3) Physics
4) Computer Studies

What do you think?

That should be more than fine. Just make sure you get that A* in maths and get cracking on research/reading/relevant activities over the summer... Now get off TSR and revise for your exams!! :tongue:
Original post by C0balt
That should be more than fine. Just make sure you get that A* in maths and get cracking on research/reading/relevant activities over the summer... Now get off TSR and revise for your exams!! :tongue:

Okay thanks, that's given me some hope and confidence:h: - I'll get to revising now!
Does a B at AS lower your chances?
(ie AAB) with the right subjects
Original post by louisedrake

It may do a bit, but not beyond redemption.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry too much. I got AAAB at AS last year and because the B was in a subject that's pretty much unrelated to the subject I applied for, they didn't mind. I know someone who did the same AS Levels as me and got AAAC - C in the subject I got a B in and she was still offered a place too :smile:

It would if in the required subject but I got AABD in Maths FM Physics and Chem respectively and got two offers in two years so make the most of what you get and work on thinking about your subject and hard/tricky questions in your subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
dont need exams mate, allready got an unconditional to pembroke
Original post by coffeeclub
dont need exams mate, allready got an unconditional to pembroke

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=891736&page=2&p=64381353#post64381353
Reply 5974
I'm going to uni in September but now I'm regretting not applying to Cambridge. At the time of applying I didn't think my grades were good enough so I didn't bother. I got 1A* 6As and 4Bs at GCSE and 4 As at AS Level. My UMS average was only something like 83% and I wasn't predicted any A*s so I'm aware it was likely I wouldn't have got a place anyway. However, now I'm likely to get at least A*AA maybe more and I have no idea if it's worth reapplying? I'm not sure if it's worth giving up the place I have at a good uni for something that's not certain but this is how I avoided applying before and I regretted it..I've also seen people get in with lower grades that I got at AS so that's made me regret it even more..thoughts?
Original post by At044
I'm going to uni in September but now I'm regretting not applying to Cambridge. At the time of applying I didn't think my grades were good enough so I didn't bother. I got 1A* 6As and 4Bs at GCSE and 4 As at AS Level. My UMS average was only something like 83% and I wasn't predicted any A*s so I'm aware it was likely I wouldn't have got a place anyway. However, now I'm likely to get at least A*AA maybe more and I have no idea if it's worth reapplying? I'm not sure if it's worth giving up the place I have at a good uni for something that's not certain but this is how I avoided applying before and I regretted it..I've also seen people get in with lower grades that I got at AS so that's made me regret it even more..thoughts?

See what you get on results day and then come back to the thread... If you hold results that meet or exceed the typical offer then there's a chance that applying may get you an interview and then maybe an offer. But conversely there's a chance you won't...

And keep in mind there are plenty of excellent universities. And always the option of doing postgrad at Cambridge afterwards if you really want.
Original post by At044

Achieving their minimum requirement doesn't necessarily mean there's a good chance you'd get an offer as, in reality, large majority of successful applicants to Cambridge exceeds the requirements. It's true small number of people with lower grades do get an offer but they're exception and usually they' have extenuating circumstances or are from disadvantaged social/schooling background and with some strength in other aspects of application in spite of their circumstances/background.
Also, grade is not the only thing Cambridge considers in assessing applicants. Other aspects of application, like PS, SAQ, reference, super-curricular, etc. are as important as the grades as well as interview/test performance.
That's why some people with very good grades can be rejected, too.

It's your decision if you want to take the risk, but please understand Cambridge application is much more complicated than just achieving certain grades.

Edited:
Just to add....
If you haven't had a good look at how Cambridge course is like because you didn't consider applying, do so very carefully before you make a decision. Cambridge course is insanely intense and demanding, so it's not for everyone. Please don't choose Cambridge just because it's the top uni or for its name. Make sure you genuinely like their course and style of teaching. Or you will not enjoy the life there.
(edited 7 years ago)
I acheived 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 B at GCSE. If I can get A*A*Aa* (I have two more Bs at AS), is it worth making a post A-Level application for the new Archaeology course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalai Llama
I acheived 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 B at GCSE. If I can get A*A*Aa* (I have two more Bs at AS), is it worth making a post A-Level application for the new Archaeology course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it may be. But obviously there's no guarantee of getting an offer... you need a Plan B too.

And check that the course and academic environment is what you really want. Not the "prestige"...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yes it may be. But obviously there's no guarantee of getting an offer... you need a Plan B too.

And check that the course and academic environment is what you really want. Not the "prestige"...

The style of teaching, as in supervisions etc, really appeals to me, as well as the breadth of the Archeology course. I had no idea that there was going to be a new course until a few days ago and it looks amazing. I was thinking about applying for HSPS this year but I was worried that my UMS was too low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending