The Student Room Group

Being called an anorexic... [Male]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel 96
First off, this has been a constant theme throughout my life. I have always been skinny, as a child, as a teen and now as a man (i'm 19). My childhood scarred me pretty well when it came to eating. I was fussy with food, I admit that, and I still am, however, I definitely eat 3 meals a day, plus snacks, so there's nothing wrong in that department.

I wasn't bullied, but there's always been comments that have built up over the years. More recently, as a matter of fact, today my "friend" called me anorexic and that I looked 'undernourished'. This was simply to get at me (trust me, I know). He is also aware of my vegetarianism and ate a meat sandwich right in my face. I have always tolerated his lifestyle, as everyone else's, but once again I am under attack.

I walked away from him after a heated argument and told him to stay away from me. He appeared apologetic, but it has just simply crossed the line. I feel like killing myself, everyone is out to get me, I can feel it. It's suffocating me.

I swivel from 134 to 138 lbs and I'm 6 foot. I get that I'm on the lean-side, but I'm borderline ideal on the BMI scale and I feel fine.

As a male, I also realize that it's uncommon for a guy like me to be in a situation like this. No offence to the girls, of course, it's just a much more female-dominated struggle due to societal pressures. For me, I simply cannot put weight on and these comments are driving me insane.

I can't breath.

I'm sure you look fine, don't let the comments get to you. My brother is 6'1" and weighs around the same as you. He doesn't look anorexic.
Original post by Ciel.
Noo, join the dark side.

Been there, never going back, not fun being a lanky streak of piss :lol:
Reply 22
Original post by WoodyMKC
Been there, never going back, not fun being a lanky streak of piss :lol:

Not to worry. I prefer the slightly ripped look actually. Just not on me, if ya know what I mean. :colonhash: A lanky streak of piss? You wound me. It's called being petite.
Original post by Ciel.
Not to worry. I prefer the slightly ripped look actually. Just not on me, if ya know what I mean. :colonhash: A lanky streak of piss? You wound me. It's called being petite.

I thought petite meant small, I'm taller than most people :lol:
Reply 24
I thought petite meant small, I'm taller than most people :lol:

Just when it comes to clothing lol. They even have petite in size 16! Petite actually means small-boned and thin too. :h:
Reply 25
Original post by Joel 96
First off, this has been a constant theme throughout my life. I have always been skinny, as a child, as a teen and now as a man (i'm 19). My childhood scarred me pretty well when it came to eating. I was fussy with food, I admit that, and I still am, however, I definitely eat 3 meals a day, plus snacks, so there's nothing wrong in that department.

I wasn't bullied, but there's always been comments that have built up over the years. More recently, as a matter of fact, today my "friend" called me anorexic and that I looked 'undernourished'. This was simply to get at me (trust me, I know). He is also aware of my vegetarianism and ate a meat sandwich right in my face. I have always tolerated his lifestyle, as everyone else's, but once again I am under attack.

I walked away from him after a heated argument and told him to stay away from me. He appeared apologetic, but it has just simply crossed the line. I feel like killing myself, everyone is out to get me, I can feel it. It's suffocating me.

I swivel from 134 to 138 lbs and I'm 6 foot. I get that I'm on the lean-side, but I'm borderline ideal on the BMI scale and I feel fine.

As a male, I also realize that it's uncommon for a guy like me to be in a situation like this. No offence to the girls, of course, it's just a much more female-dominated struggle due to societal pressures. For me, I simply cannot put weight on and these comments are driving me insane.

I can't breath.

Hey, I'm really sorry that you're going through this and I'm here if you need someone to vent to.

What your friend did was really crappy and uncalled for but perhaps he didn't realise how douchey he was being and got carried away? I'd try calling him up and try to explain to him why what he did was not okay. The worst thing you can do is isolate yourself without talking about how you feel to someone you care about. It makes the pressure feel 100x worse.

Also, with regards to your weight and stuff: as long as you are perfectly healthy and like how you look then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds to me like its other people's assumptions about your health and appearance that are getting you down. Well, screw 'em; no one knows your own health and well-being better than you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96
Thank you. That made me feel a bit better.

Yeah, I keep telling myself to start working out, but I never get around to it. That's my own fault.

Maybe. I don't always feel this way. I seem to take instances and arguments 10x more seriously than other people. It really gets me down.

Only join a gym and bulk up because it's what you want to do and not because of social pressures. I hope you cut off this friend and everyone else that puts you down. If some people don't know how it makes you feel, make it a point to let them know about it and if they make fun of it or continue with the comments, cut them off as well.

I hope you don't remain suicidal, it's not a nice feeling at all :sad:
Original post by Ciel.
Don't really see what the problem is? They just care about your well being. It's a bit ironic because today on the radio they were walking about how male anorexia often just goes unnoticed/ignored.

Umm you're talking nonsense. Clearly it was an insult because of his weight. His friend would've known that he eats 3 meals a day. Anorexic people don't do that. Concerned for his health my arse.
Things can change. I was 6'2'' 140lbs 3.5 years ago. I'm currently nearly 240lbs, with a lean mass weight of 175lbs - I need to cut atm due to a period of inactivity through illness pretty recently and still eating loads through that period, but I'm about 190lbs when lean.

Three meals a day with snacks doesn't tell us much and doesn't sound promising tbh, due to your self-confessed fussiness with food and lack of weight gain it sounds like they're not very sizeable meals. I know first hand what it's like to be labelled "that guy that eats loads and never gains weight" but when I assessed my average weekly caloric intake, it became clear that I was undereating. Of course, it's not a great idea to just gain fat as you won't look any better for it and probably just end up with a bit of a belly, so hitting some weights and learning to eat more is the way to go if being skinny is bothering you.

Right because this is the WoodyMKC show :rolleyes:

Way to help OP by only talking about yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Umm you're talking nonsense. Clearly it was an insult because of his weight. His friend would've known that he eats 3 meals a day. Anorexic people don't do that. Concerned for his health my arse.

There are many types of eating disorders and some include binge eating and then exercising excessively, or throwing up. And how would his friend know that anyway? He's not with him 24/7.
Original post by Ciel.
There are many types of eating disorders and some include binge eating and then exercising excessively, or throwing up. And how would his friend know that anyway? He's not with him 24/7.

We're talking about anorexia here, not all the eating disorders under the face of the earth. If they go/went to school together, he'd know, it's that simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
We're talking about anorexia here, not all the eating disorders under the face of the earth. If they go/went to school together, he'd know, it's that simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well this is what many people with anorexia do also. No offense but I think you have a very limited knowledge on ED subject, possibly distorted by the mainstream media (nothing wrong with that obviously, just pointing out that it honestly is not that simple).
Original post by Ciel.
Well this is what many people with anorexia do also. No offense but I think you have a very limited knowledge on ED subject, possibly distorted by the mainstream media (nothing wrong with that obviously, just pointing out that it honestly is not that simple).

You're wrong. My knowledge on eating disorders is very extensive because my cousin went through it and I had no idea how to help her so I did days of research along with accompanying her to psychiatrist visits. So next time keep your assumptions to yourself.
Reply 33
You're wrong. My knowledge on eating disorders is very extensive because my cousin went through it and I had no idea how to help her so I did days of research along with accompanying her to psychiatrist visits. So next time keep your assumptions to yourself.

Well, feel free to do some more research if you think that I'm making things up here *shrugs*, you'll find out the truth yourself.
Well OP, consider the fact that you weigh around 60kg... I weigh around 50kg and the most I've ever weight is 55kg :/ I'm 17...RIP :frown:
Original post by Ciel.
Well, feel free to do some more research if you think that I'm making things up here *shrugs*, you'll find out the truth yourself.

I didn't say you're making things up at all. But it's easy to notice if someone has anorexia...
I didn't say you're making things up at all. But it's easy to notice if someone has anorexia...

What are the signs to look out for, in your opinion? :curious:

Original post by Anonymous
Well OP, consider the fact that you weigh around 60kg... I weigh around 50kg and the most I've ever weight is 55kg :/ I'm 17...RIP :frown:

I weigh around 50kg and I am 20 (nearly 21).
Reply 37
Go learn BJJ. Give it a year and you'll be chocking out the rugby player newbies when you roll with them.
Nothing alleviates the "beta" feeling like, "I could have killed that guy twice my size with my bare hands."
Reply 38

Generally, yeah but not at first. Anorexia is a sly little snake :angry:
Original post by Joel 96

@Kindred Yeah, I get that health and appearance isn't always mutually exclusive. What he said raised serious doubts about whether or not I can talk to him again. It just seemed to aggressive and unnecessary. I don't think I can be around people like that... And thank you, I'm considering seeing a GP. I hope your depression has gotten better.

Doctor is a good plan. If nothing else it can serve to tell you that you are healthy and ease any worries.
I'd say if he's like that often it may be best to at least cut down a little on seeing him. He may not be trying to be mean but that doesn't mean it won't offend you and you don't want to spend all your time feeling offended.
If this was a more rare occasion I might give him another chance. You guys having that arguement may have made it clear you aren't comfortable with it and mean he stays clear of it in future. Hey I know i've made mistakes with jokes I didn't realise were offensive so i'm sure he could have done that too.
At the end of the day it's your feelings and your call. If you aren't comfortable and it's likely to end in more conflict it may be better to leave while things are still alright between you and not let it get messy. I've tried to hang on to friendships for the sake of friendships that ended up meaning bad memories when I look back when I could have let things just drift apart and have good memories to look back on.
Anyway whatever you do I hope it goes well. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest