The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Gogregg
Don't worry, the specimen papers are never representative of the actual papers, and the grade boundaries should be lower this year anyway. The actual exam will be easier than the specimen so that result is not a be all and end all, also, yes, most people are doing badly on those papers

I thought the same, grade boundaries may be lowered because we don't have enough resources such as past papers and this is a new specification so students may give weak answers to questions due to the structure and expectations. However, I am concerned about this at the same time because the government wants harder exams, so do you reckon the actual exam will be easier than the specimen?
Original post by oni176
I thought the same, grade boundaries may be lowered because we don't have enough resources such as past papers and this is a new specification so students may give weak answers to questions due to the structure and expectations. However, I am concerned about this at the same time because the government wants harder exams, so do you reckon the actual exam will be easier than the specimen?

They will be easier, they always are. No reason to get complacent though.
Also grade boundaries will be decreasing due to no upper sixth students retaking the exams as well
Reply 122
Original post by emx123
Did anyone else do really badly on the breadth paper? Most people got U's and the highest grade was a D. Please tell me it's not just my school.

We had the same situation in both papers, I was the highest in class but still with a low percentage 😂😂 on one paper, only 3 passed so like "D"
Original post by emx123
Did anyone else do really badly on the breadth paper? Most people got U's and the highest grade was a D. Please tell me it's not just my school.

Yeah same as my school i got a C but even that was like 50% our school decided on their own grade boundaries for the year everyone in my whole class got Ds and Es and other classes many got Us
Original post by ChelK321
Hopefully :wink: Good luck :tongue:

Hehehe U too u a fellow medical applicant ?
Original post by hashman
Hehehe U too u a fellow medical applicant ?

How did u know 😱😂 well I've always wanted to do medicine but recently been doubting whether i can get the grades...😫
Reply 126
Original post by Gogregg
They will be easier, they always are. No reason to get complacent though.
Also grade boundaries will be decreasing due to no upper sixth students retaking the exams as well

That's true, didn't think about that the upper sixth formers not being able to retake our qualification anymore.
How did u know 😱😂 well I've always wanted to do medicine but recently been doubting whether i can get the grades...😫

hahaha its because you do the exact same subjects as me bio chem maths and psychology but listen if you've got decent gcse grades and ok AS grades then its more than doable :biggrin:
Original post by hashman
hahaha its because you do the exact same subjects as me bio chem maths and psychology but listen if you've got decent gcse grades and ok AS grades then its more than doable :biggrin:

Ah hopefully, how'd u do at gcse?:smile:
Ah hopefully, how'd u do at gcse?:smile:

um i did ok but not the best 4A*s 5As and a B wbu? im relying on the ukcat to help me out
Original post by hashman
um i did ok but not the best 4A*s 5As and a B wbu? im relying on the ukcat to help me out

Haha I feel like we are very similar 😄 5A*s 4As and a B
Haha I feel like we are very similar 😄 5A*s 4As and a B

omg hahahah thats so cool XD what unis do u wanna apply to im thinking keele st georges plymouth and hull
Original post by hashman
omg hahahah thats so cool XD what unis do u wanna apply to im thinking keele st georges plymouth and hull

nice, and tbh I'm quite undecided but going to be visiting some unis with social mobility foundation. I'd love to apply for Birmingham but their requirements are pretty high:s-smilie:
Original post by emx123

Don't worry! Everyone in my year got under 60%, and the majority of my year is really good at biology- so we were all shocked too. Just don't stress too much, because remember our year is the first to sit the papers on the new spec, so they can't make things as hard as you'd expect. Still, that doesn't mean you should be laid back due to "lower grade boundaries," just do your best and work, work, work! :smile:
nice, and tbh I'm quite undecided but going to be visiting some unis with social mobility foundation. I'd love to apply for Birmingham but their requirements are pretty high:s-smilie:

hahahahha Dude trust me dw u cant do this and trust me believe in yourself :biggrin: btw my friend who got ABBB at AS got an offer
Original post by IRoranth
Don't worry! Everyone in my year got under 60%, and the majority of my year is really good at biology- so we were all shocked too. Just don't stress too much, because remember our year is the first to sit the papers on the new spec, so they can't make things as hard as you'd expect. Still, that doesn't mean you should be laid back due to "lower grade boundaries," just do your best and work, work, work! :smile:

4/6 people in my class got U's, i'm quite relieved that it seems to be quite common and its not just my school lol. However i've started revision way too late for all the content :s-smilie::angry:
4/6 people in my class got U's, i'm quite relieved that it seems to be quite common and its not just my school lol. However i've started revision way too late for all the content :s-smilie::angry:

Same! I hate "apply your knowledge" questions, as well as the odd practical question that nobody understands lol.
Also, don't you feel like there is WAY too much maths in the new biology spec? I mean, shouldn't we be tested on our knowledge of biology, not mathematics! I especially find it hard because I don't even take maths for AS; it's so hard. D:
Original post by hashman
hahahahha Dude trust me dw u cant do this and trust me believe in yourself :biggrin: btw my friend who got ABBB at AS got an offer

Thanks for the vote of confidence :tongue: Hopefully we ace our AS' :biggrin: (even if i do need to revise 24 hours a day up until the exams:rofl3::wink:)
Original post by IRoranth
Same! I hate "apply your knowledge" questions, as well as the odd practical question that nobody understands lol.
Also, don't you feel like there is WAY too much maths in the new biology spec? I mean, shouldn't we be tested on our knowledge of biology, not mathematics! I especially find it hard because I don't even take maths for AS; it's so hard. D:

Yeah exactly; it actually seems like the new specs for most of my subjects are trying to incorporate more maths:unimpressed:. And i honestly hate the practical questions in both bio and chem:banghead:
Thanks for the vote of confidence :tongue: Hopefully we ace our AS' :biggrin: (even if i do need to revise 24 hours a day up until the exams:rofl3::wink:)

We got this ye :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending