The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Why? :frown:

Because I felt like using the :slap: emoji and I was reading your post when it hit me. :proud:
Reply 301
Original post by Hydeman
Because I felt like using the :slap: emoji and I was reading your post when it hit me. :proud:

Mean guy. :mob:
Original post by AhmedMA99
Palestine or Israel ?

Israel, no one gives a shite about Palestine. Saudi and Egypt can take the Palestinians as refugees, instead of doing nothing
Original post by Hydeman
You didn't, but my first reply to you clearly referred to them, and you called that an assumption; I didn't say anything about Palestinians more generally. For reference, here's our conversation (square brackets added retrospectively):

I didn't assume that. :tongue: You probably misread my first reply, because I was clearly referring to the leadership, not Palestinians more generally (see conversation above).

That would be a step in the right direction. :smile:

You weren't in your reply to Foo (and I don't pretend that you were), but then I replied saying that their leadership would, and from then on the reasonable assumption was that you were referring to them when you said 'assumptions assumptions.' :tongue:

You could, but generally speaking 'the leadership' means the party currently in power.

Never said you did. :mmm:

You didn't give any specifics either,so as a precautionary lesson,it's best not to ever assume things, always ask for specifics in advance :h:

May god be with you
Original post by queen-bee
You didn't give any specifics either,so as a precautionary lesson,it's best not to ever assume things, always ask for specifics in advance :h:

I did give specifics. I said 'their leadership', instead of 'Palestinians.' Any assumptions I've made follow the normal rules of conversation. You said 'assumptions assumptions' in response to me saying 'their leadership would, yeah', so it follows from the normal rules of conversation that you were saying that 'their leadership would, yeah', is an assumption, not 'the Palestinians would' (which was never said).

You find it so hard to admit to mistakes, queen-bee. :tongue:

May god be with you

Thanks, but I don't need any gods. :hand:
Original post by theunitedGOAT
Israel, no one gives a shite about Palestine. Saudi and Egypt can take the Palestinians as refugees, instead of doing nothing

This
Original post by Josb
As I said earlier in the thread, a two state solution is now impossible as there are 300,000 colonists in East Jerusalem and 300,000 more in West Bank settlements. These colonists are all armed and they built their homes like bunkers. They will not leave.

The only chance for Palestinians to "free" the West Bank from Jewish settlements would be to "exchange" it for East Jerusalem. Israeli have always wanted to have the whole of Jerusalem and most of the biggest colonies are located there. Moreover, Israel has officially annexed it since 1980; they will not reconsider this decision.

Then, the Israeli government could take action to remove the settlements in the West Bank.

This is an interesting idea. Although the mass movement of people may have similar results to the partition of India and Pakistan. But that said, I don't see any other option other than a two state solution.

Whilst it sounds rather sloppy and ill-planned, couldn't a border be drawn around Jewish settlements, effectively creating Jewish or Palestinian exclaves as part of the drawing up of the borders? That would prevent having to force people to resettle in other parts of the country. For example, West Berlin managed to survive despitate being surrounded by East Germany. Azerbaijan has the Nakhchivan exclave and Russia has the Kaliningrad exclave.
Reply 307
Original post by The Epicurean

Whilst it sounds rather sloppy and ill-planned, couldn't a border be drawn around Jewish settlements, effectively creating Jewish or Palestinian exclaves as part of the drawing up of the borders? That would prevent having to force people to resettle in other parts of the country. For example, West Berlin managed to survive despite being surrounded by East Germany. Azerbaijan has the Nakhchivan exclave and Russia has the Kaliningrad exclave.

The enclaves are very small, a few kms², even West-Berlin wasn't that small. There is also a terrible water problem in the area. Palestinians won't let water flowing to these enclaves.

Avigdor Lieberman actually wanted to redraw the border to include Jewish settlements in Israel and give in exchange Israeli Arab areas to Palestine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieberman_Plan

The main problem is that Israeli Arabs don't want to be transferred...

Drawing borders in very densely populated areas is not easy.
Because it's not only Muslim Arabs who are suffering under Israel but also Christian Arabs too,wake up!

Why do you have to bring Christianity into everything? I chose to side with Palestine because of what I see is happening to the Palestinians,just because I'm a Christian should I be blind to the injustices of certain people who are living under occupation both Christian and Muslim Arabs! My religion shouldn't come into it. And actually just thinking about Syria and other Arab countries going to war with Israel in the past ,I will always be a supporter of Palestinian solidarity just like all our fellow country men and women. Deal with it :rolleyes:

A better answer is Christians are Israel, so the state of Israel must be the "Tribe of Judah".

Ephraim is the British Commonwealth

Manasseh is the USA.

http://www.ensignmessage.com/archives/ephraim.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'm a decorated student of International Relations and Strategic Studies, so yes, I know a thing or two about arguably the most noteworthy/divisive inter-civilisational conflict of the modern era :borat:

You need to re-read what I've written. Nothing in what I've said suggests that I am pro-Israeli. I expect a higher degree of intellectualism from you, homie this **** is basic

Quote me where I said that?

Also expect a higher degree of piety. Not impressed

No offense but degree or not your argument isn't too great. While I agree there is a lot of settlement on land that did not previously belong to them, we are talking about since the foundation of the United Nations. To hold Americans in the sixteenth century in accordance with International Law developed in the mid twentieth century is absurd. The Israelis had such laws to follow, the Americans didn't, arguably such land is justified on the grounds of defense after the Six Days War but it does not surprise me in the slightest (considering that many of these people are still alive) that people are angry about displacement.
Reply 310
Palestine. How can you support kicking people out of their homes and killing children playing on the beach? Between 8 July and 27 August 66 Israeli soldiers and seven civilians were killed versus 2,104 Palestinians - including 1,462 civilians, of whom 495 were children and 253 women.
Original post by Hydeman
I did give specifics. I said 'their leadership', instead of 'Palestinians.' Any assumptions I've made follow the normal rules of conversation. You said 'assumptions assumptions' in response to me saying 'their leadership would, yeah', so it follows from the normal rules of conversation that you were saying that 'their leadership would, yeah', is an assumption, not 'the Palestinians would' (which was never said).

You find it so hard to admit to mistakes, queen-bee. :tongue:

Thanks, but I don't need any gods. :hand:

Khalas,the only mistake was that you weren't specific enough or maybe I wasn't :tongue:
Apology accepted anyway :smile:

If you say so :h:
Khalas,the only mistake was that you weren't specific enough or maybe I wasn't :tongue:
Apology accepted anyway :smile:

I didn't apologise. :colonhash:

But whatever. :tongue:
Israel, give me 1 good thing Palestine has contributed to humanity? (protip: you cant).
Reply 314
Palestine all the way.
Reply 315
Original post by physicsphysics91
Israel, give me 1 good thing Palestine has contributed to humanity? (protip: you cant).

Dates and olives (or at least they did until settlers destroyed and stole all their crops).
Original post by Hydeman
I didn't apologise. :colonhash:

But whatever. :tongue:

Please,be humble :h:
Original post by theunitedGOAT

5 million Palestinian refugees registered by UN? Arab countries certainly dream about it.. :cool:
Original post by dj3k
Dates and olives (or at least they did until settlers destroyed and stole all their crops).

Crops they were not able to harness efficiently. You're correct to assume that this may not justify settlements, but again, if we're going to nitpick, let's get the facts right.
Reply 319
Original post by dj3k

Dates and olives were also cultivated elsewhere.

Palestine was a desert before the Zionists arrived. They developed some very innovative way to have a powerful agriculture on arid lands (drip irrigation was notably invented in a kibbutz). By creating arable lands out of desert and swamps (in the north), Zionists could therefore feed the population in the area; many Arabs from now Syria and Jordan also immigrated to Palestine to work in Jewish farms.

Accusing the Israeli to have "destroyed and stolen" Palestinian crops is a bit ridiculous. Without them, they wouldn't even exist.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending