The Student Room Group

aqa as chem 1 question !

Use the Periodic Table to identify the species responsible for the peak at m/z = 64

Can someone please explain to me how you do this question the answer is Zn+
Original post by newt1
Use the Periodic Table to identify the species responsible for the peak at m/z = 64

Can someone please explain to me how you do this question the answer is Zn+

m/z is mass over charge, so you look at periodic table to see which element has mass closet to 64, which is zinc. And it must be 1+ as 64/1 = 64
Reply 2
Original post by Science_help
m/z is mass over charge, so you look at periodic table to see which element has mass closet to 64, which is zinc. And it must be 1+ as 64/1 = 64

If you use the Aqa insert, copper is closer to 64 at 63.5 compared to 65.5 of zinc, could you please explain the reason for choosing zinc?Thanks
Original post by BJA98
If you use the Aqa insert, copper is closer to 64 at 63.5 compared to 65.5 of zinc, could you please explain the reason for choosing zinc?Thanks

could oyu give me the context of the question??
Reply 4
Original post by BJA98

in part a of this question you are being asked to calculate the Ar and you get 65.6. so you also use this value and compare it to the periodic table as well and you see that thesefor isotopes are of Zn and 64/1=64 so it is zn+

Quick Reply

Latest