The Student Room Group

oh no, scanning GCSE papers

Whilst doing my biology exam for OCR 21st century, I noticed the Black right angles at the top and bottom of the page. Then i realised i had written to the side of them, does that mean that part will not be scanned? I wrote a lot on the side and i thought the whole page would be scanned...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah. It's most likely that the work you wrote outside of the right angles will not be scanned unless it didn't say that you weren't allowed to write outside of the right angles.
Edexcel and AQA usually have written in the corner of every page 'Please do not write outside of the box', if your exam board didn't state this, there is a chance that it could still be scanned.
Reply 2
I have attached a document to show you what i mean
Reply 3
Original post by cdaniels2011
Yeah. It's most likely that the work you wrote outside of the right angles will not be scanned unless it didn't say that you weren't allowed to write outside of the right angles.
Edexcel and AQA usually have written in the corner of every page 'Please do not write outside of the box', if your exam board didn't state this, there is a chance that it could still be scanned.

it doesnt state that you couldnt write outside the box, also it wasnt really a box more a border, pls fing the attachment ive uploaded thanks
Original post by djdude
it doesnt state that you couldnt write outside the box, also it wasnt really a box more a border, pls fing the attachment ive uploaded thanks

I see what you mean. Did you read the whole front cover of the exam before you sat it? If you weren't supposed to do it then on the front all rules are usually stated.
Have a look online to see if others have had similar situations to you, or if others know whether or not your work will be scanned if outside the box :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by cdaniels2011
I see what you mean. Did you read the whole front cover of the exam before you sat it? If you weren't supposed to do it then on the front all rules are usually stated.
Have a look online to see if others have had similar situations to you, or if others know whether or not your work will be scanned if outside the box :smile:

I have tried to look online, but it seems noone else was stupid enough to do such a thing, ive read the instrcutions and it doesnt state anything about scanning or writing inside the borders
Original post by djdude
I have tried to look online, but it seems noone else was stupid enough to do such a thing, ive read the instrcutions and it doesnt state anything about scanning or writing inside the borders

Hopefully you'll be lucky.
Reply 7
You'll be fine. It will be obvious that something is missing as part of sentences will be cut off. So the examiner will flag this up and they'll mark the original copy
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
You'll be fine. It will be obvious that something is missing as part of sentences will be cut off. So the examiner will flag this up and they'll mark the original copy

However on the Past papers online, they dont show the border/ right angles on the screen. i have never been this worried for a couple of marks lol
Reply 9
Original post by Juno

Hopefully, you're right!
Reply 10
sorry to hijack this thread, but i ran out of lines for some questions and continued writing like underneath (only like 1 line where there was space) is this shown in the scan ? i only found out you can get extra paper like yesterday lol
Reply 11
Original post by asphyxiax
sorry to hijack this thread, but i ran out of lines for some questions and continued writing like underneath (only like 1 line where there was space) is this shown in the scan ? i only found out you can get extra paper like yesterday lol

lol i done that also, but i think that is fine depending on the exam board
I did the same as you, I didn't realise that there were the right angles in the corners so if the stufff outside it doesn't get scanned then I have messed it up
Original post by djdude
lol i done that also, but i think that is fine depending on the exam board

I wrote a lot on the bottom of the pages so if it doesn't count then I will loose a lot of marks
Reply 14
Original post by emilyaves2000
I did the same as you, I didn't realise that there were the right angles in the corners so if the stufff outside it doesn't get scanned then I have messed it up

are you doing ocr 21st century science? They should have said something at the start of the paper !!
do you think i should contact them or someting?
Reply 15

It depends how obvious it is that it's there. If they can see half a word they will request the rest of the paper.
Reply 16
Original post by Juno
It depends how obvious it is that it's there. If they can see half a word they will request the rest of the paper.

really? so the whole page isnt scanned? i didnt write outside the box if thats what you thought (where it says do not write)
Reply 17
I took the OCR 21st C Biology exam and I see what you mean. I saw the crop marks and took them to mean they don't scan outside of it, but all it said on the paper was "please do not write in this margin".

It was a bit vague because in the margin there were some black bands with the word 'OCR' printed across it (that could be taken for the margin), but didn't indicate that the crop marks were where the margin started. I'm sure they'll probably notice you wrote outside (especially if the sentences make no sense); other people in my school did the same.
dont worry
they will look at the paper
they will know that you wrote on the side and they will mark it
many students do this so they have a seperate system to look at your paper
but you dont have to worry because it will be marked
concentrate on your next exams

Original post by djdude
Whilst doing my biology exam for OCR 21st century, I noticed the Black right angles at the top and bottom of the page. Then i realised i had written to the side of them, does that mean that part will not be scanned? I wrote a lot on the side and i thought the whole page would be scanned...
Reply 19
really? so the whole page isnt scanned? i didnt write outside the box if thats what you thought (where it says do not write)

The whole page is scanned, but if the page is wonky certain bits won't show. They try to scan as quickly as possible due to the large number of papers so can't spend too long getting everything perfect. If you wrote outside the lines it may show up, or it may get cut off.

Different markers sometimes look at different questions, so it's also possible the whole page will go to a few different people.

If you can't fit everything in the box make it as obvious as possible. They will then know to look elsewhere if it didn't show.

Quick Reply

Latest