The Student Room Group

Scared about failing my exam

I am in first year studying medicine and I am really genuinely worried I will fail this year. I didn't really do enough work throughout the year only scraping by and now after revision (around 2 months) I feel like I know nothing and I keep on failing the 'revision tests' the medical school put online.

Has anyone else been in my situation and then passed the final exam? I feel like my mental health has just plummeted. For the second semester I didn't even go out and party, I stayed in and tried to work but then I couldn't do as much as I wanted to because I thought 'what's the point - you'll fail anyway'.

I guess I'm just in a really bad place right now and my exam is Friday... :/
Reply 1
I felt the same as you every year of my course, and that's honestly, not just saying it. I really felt like I didn't know enough and every time I passed I felt like it was luck. I didn't even find the exams easy, they were so hard I couldn't see a way I would ever pass. Then just before my finals I failed the mock and the prescribing exam and my confidence was so low. I 100% set myself up for failing, even booked flight home from a holiday because I was so sure I had failed.

I have no idea how but I passed finals and am starting in August. I just wanted to let you know there are people who feel like you and it doesn't mean you will fail. Medicine is hard, you can never know everything but I honestly felt like I had no chance of passing and I did.

Just don't give up, everything you learn could make a difference. If an exam is hard don't give up on the others. Try to stay focused and remind yourself that you can do it. I really feel you have the same thoughts as I did and I got through with no resits (except the national prescribing exam)! You can do this, just do your best, things seem 100x worse now because the exam is so soon but you can do it :smile:
I honestly would consider speaking to your personal tutor/university counsellor about how you've been feeling. You're not the only one and you certainly wouldn't be the last one who feels this way, but know that there are people who's job it is to help you and make you feel better about things - you just need to know how to reach them.

You'll be ok, we all feel like this way at some point during our medical school lives. *hugs*
Original post by Anonymous
I am in first year studying medicine and I am really genuinely worried I will fail this year. I didn't really do enough work throughout the year only scraping by and now after revision (around 2 months) I feel like I know nothing and I keep on failing the 'revision tests' the medical school put online.

Has anyone else been in my situation and then passed the final exam? I feel like my mental health has just plummeted. For the second semester I didn't even go out and party, I stayed in and tried to work but then I couldn't do as much as I wanted to because I thought 'what's the point - you'll fail anyway'.

I think this happens to quite a lot of medics (and students in general), especially during first year when you have to make the jump from A-level to uni, plus adjust to life away from home, family and old school friends - it's quite easy to get a bit lost!

My exams are on Monday 😭

Best of luck!
#mediclove

Maybe this will cheer you up a bit:
https://www.facebook.com/skoften/videos/1473445792681320/?permPage=1
(edited 7 years ago)

It's totally normal to feel like this during medical school and a lot of people go through it. You know more than you think you do, and that's a fact. Right now, the stress and anxiety of it all is probably just clouding your confidence, but you will get through it. Give it your best shot on Friday, good luck, and let us know how it goes :smile: chin up
Hey, I sympathise because I've felt like you before, especially when I was in first year and now, unfortunately, I'm in the same sort of situation.

All I can say is, it's important that you try to do your best and, as someone else suggested, you could also speak to your university tutor and that might help.

In the worst case scenario you could always resit and believe me it's not the worst thing that could happen.
It's obviously something that we all want to avoid but it's not the end of the world so don't panic!

Im in this place currently but I have sat both my first year exams, and im pretty sure I have failed (by about 1% looking at my answers which absolutely sucks).

The best thing for you to do is chin up, remind yourself why your at medical school and keep going. If you fail, you most likely will have the oppurtunity to resit in the summer.

If you feel like this it might be wise to speak to someone at the medical school and voice your concerns, if they know about it then they may be able to help you and this could work in your favour is the worst did happen.

I am absolutely gutted that I am likely to fail because like you I dont go out on nights out, and I try really hard during revision, I just found the exams totally unfair (we have learning outcomes and a lot of our questions were based on stuff outside of those which we were told isnt allowed to happen by the med school). But I cant do anything about it now, my revision strategy was poor and i began to panic around a week before my exam, and it definitely showed whilst I was in there. but if I have to resit at least I will have a long time to revise unlike i did this first time around because my coursework got in the way!

trust me so many people go through things like this, your really not alone. but speak up about it and you will be thankful to have the medical school on your side.
Reply 7
Original post by Natalierm2707
Im in this place currently but I have sat both my first year exams, and im pretty sure I have failed (by about 1% looking at my answers which absolutely sucks).

Hey, I don't know what system your uni uses, but if it's anything like mine then you can't work out what the pass mark will be just vy looking at the questions. Although our pass mark is set at 50%, that is not the same as getting 50% of the questions right! It could be significantly different. I know you've been feeling pretty crap about your exams, but don't obsess about it too much, and you may yet be surprised
Original post by Ghotay
Hey, I don't know what system your uni uses, but if it's anything like mine then you can't work out what the pass mark will be just vy looking at the questions. Although our pass mark is set at 50%, that is not the same as getting 50% of the questions right! It could be significantly different. I know you've been feeling pretty crap about your exams, but don't obsess about it too much, and you may yet be surprised

our 50% pass is roughly set between getting 45% or 55% each year, it varies between the two depending on how hard the exams were (this is not by how the students found it, but how hard the questioners rate their question, the harder it is generally the lower the pass mark) - for the past two years the pass mark has been around 54%

. I know I shouldnt obsess or beat myself up, but I made some god awful errors in that exam, I know I cant tell myself what the outcome will be, but I feel its better to soften the blow of failure by expecting it and preparing for it, as that way im more likely to come back and pass second time. and If I do pass, then It would be amazing. but there is no harm in preparing for the worst, now I know what the exams are actually like I realise my revision was to superficial and I need to go much deeper into the topics (which is odd because its against all the advice I was given by other students), so If I do need to resit then I will be much more prepared.

I know exactly what you mean though, I came out of my january exam thinking I failed and then I passed, this time I felt I did much worse, but because its SBA there is always room for guess work to pull me through to a pass. Its very borderline right now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
good day.I am writing a taxation 3a exam on the 7th on June.I am really scared i got low marks for the first and second assessment.I do a lot of notes and also practice past past papers but when my results come out its disappointing.I make stupid mistakes like misreading the questions every time.

Latest

Trending

Trending