The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE geography B SDME exam - Tuesday 24th May

For the last 16 mark question I messed up the structure :s-smilie:, I did a paragraph of each option comparing against mine stating why mine is better. This is the other style of question which they usually give for the 16 marker, which is the one I had practiced, so did that structure again, but this one just asked for advantages and disadvantages of your option:frown: how many marks do you think I will lose?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure how many marks you would lose but did you include the other points like alternative plan? As long as you did more of the other two bullet points, you should be fine
And for question 2, could you talk about all of them (arch, cave, stack and stump)? Because it was 6 marks after all
Original post by HR321
For the last 16 mark question I messed up the structure :s-smilie:, I did a paragraph of each option comparing against mine stating why mine is better. This is the other style of question which they usually give for the 16 marker, which is the one I had practiced, so did that structure again, but this one just asked for advantages and disadvantages of your option:frown: how many marks do you think I will lose?

I did the same thing. However, I also answered the question they asked. As long as you gave disadvantages of yours, and suggested and explained another idea, you will be fine. They won't negate marks for writing extra, unnecessary stuff.

However, if you didn't answer the question, but instead just discussed the advantages and disadvantages of each solution, you're probably looking at 7(ish) marks.
hey i did this SDME as well
I did not revise coastal landforms
wanted it to be on rivers
Reply 5
Yeah I feel like I did answer the question, but I remember my teaching saying that there a lot of marks in this question for the structure and correct communication:frown: oh well, we'll ace the terminal paper!
Reply 6
Original post by AverageN3RD
hey i did this SDME as well
I did not revise coastal landforms
wanted it to be on rivers

Aw man, you can usually get away with not revising but this year they actually sneakily asked some theory questions!
Reply 7
Original post by FutureDietitian
I did the same thing. However, I also answered the question they asked. As long as you gave disadvantages of yours, and suggested and explained another idea, you will be fine. They won't negate marks for writing extra, unnecessary stuff.

However, if you didn't answer the question, but instead just discussed the advantages and disadvantages of each solution, you're probably looking at 7(ish) marks.

Yeah I feel like I did answer the question, but I remember my teacher saying that there a lot of marks in this question for the structure and correct communication oh well, we'll ace the terminal paper! If I get say 27/40 in this paper, got 52/60 for the enquiry and get 90% in the terminal paper would that be an A*?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi i did the same exam too i think i messed up the last question too how did you giys find the exam overall do you think the boundaries will be high or low
Reply 9
Original post by Arbana1502
Hi i did the same exam too i think i messed up the last question too how did you giys find the exam overall do you think the boundaries will be high or low

I feel like they could possibly be lower than usual as there were more theory knowledge based questions which usually aren't in the SDME paper.
Hopefully the grade boundaries will lower because of all of the theory questions.
Reply 11
Original post by missguidedsoul
And for question 2, could you talk about all of them (arch, cave, stack and stump)? Because it was 6 marks after all

Yeah I was like 6 marks!! I just did stack but I'm sure that doing all of them was the best plan to try and get more marks as they did want you to know the erosion processes that made that landform.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HR321
Yeah I was like 6 marks!! I just did stack but I'm sure that doing all of them was the best plan to try and get more marks as they did want you to know the erosion processes that made that landform.

Yeah, I just did the stack too.
Reply 13
Not sure how many marks you would lose but did you include the other points like alternative plan? As long as you did more of the other two bullet points, you should be fine

Yeah I did all the points, I basically split the advantages paragraph into 2, each one comparing with one of the other options saying why mine is better than that option, so did include why mine is advantageous overall.
How many marks do you think I will get if talked about sustainability of my option ,then disadvantage and then talked about sea Walls for,the alternative ,method
Unofficial mark scheme please

it only asked for one thing

It just asked to explain one of them, I listed all of them but I explained cave. Prob gonna lose a few marks cus me being stupid ah well.
You'd be 4 UMS marks in A* from UMS (27=48 SDME, 52=52 enquiry, 89-90=120 Key Themes, 120+52+48=220 - the boundary for A* is 216). The enquiry is very unlikely to change, but if the SDME grade boundaries go down and the Key Themes grade boundaries don't become ridiculously high, then you should be even more likely to get A* :3

NB: I say 'Key Themes', you say 'terminal paper'

I used these websites to check it: http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/267743-specification-level-ums-grade-boundaries-november-2015-january-2016-and-june-2016.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Hhnuuujnj
How many marks do you think I will get if talked about sustainability of my option ,then disadvantage and then talked about sea Walls for,the alternative ,method

I thinks pretty much exactly what you're supposed to do, especially talking about sustainability even though it was not stated as it is an SDME paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending