Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rounded both up. Do you reckon we'll lose a mark for that? I doubt it
Reply 1401
Original post by Jelly150
Posted from TSR Mobile

I rounded both up. Do you reckon we'll lose a mark for that? I doubt it

I also did this. But I don't think it will make a big difference to the final answer. I think it is fine? ? ?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It will make no difference to the final answer. It also did say to 2 decimal places. In previous mark schemes it says give a mark for answers between two certain numbers. So it should be fine and get full marks as long as everything else is correct.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ninjass
My answers - I thought t was fairly standard

1a) More representative, individual strata estimates availiable
1b) random process, no interviewer bias

2) 5.61 and I think you rejected

3a) When the data isn't bivariate noral
b) 0.75 and I think you rejected
You accepted the pmcc question
e) You HAD TO say about ranks - days where sales of ice cream ranked highly, ranked highly for sunglasses

4a) 0.7794
b) 760,302.25
c) 0.0107

5a) 1.95 and you rejected
b) Var of sample = var of population. Samples are independent of each other. CANT MENTION CLT - as its not an assumption, it's a thorem
c) tricky - 12.7

6a) Test statistic was 4.1 and you accepted
b) r= 26.78 s= 16.07
c) Test statistic was 14.65 you reject

7a) 19.15%,19.85%
b) Paul shoud tell them to lover stated weight
c) n=44

Who agrees?

YES for 7c I got 44 but two guys doing it with me got 27! As it said 0.9 as probability I used the 0.05 z value which is 1.6449 (0.05 either side = 0.9 total), whereas they used 1.2816 which is the 0.1 z value. Glad someone else saw it my way, I thought I'd definitely lost the marks
Fair to say:
A- 65/66
A*- 70/71

Given it was slightly harder than fp2 June 2015 I'd guess similarish but also less people do stats 3 than fp2 so might be the same.
did the paragraph in q6 say p=0.3 was estimated? or did they say she believes p=0.3 in the binomial goodness of fit.
does anyone remember the full solution for question 5a to reach the answer 1.95?
Think i got 73/75 cri.

But it's stats I don't really care. I have no interest in playing Edexcel's stupid games and jump through their stupid hoops any more... just gets in the way of real math

I'm not bitter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
did the paragraph in q6 say p=0.3 was estimated? or did they say she believes p=0.3 in the binomial goodness of fit.

"believes that the data can be modelled by Binomial distribution with p = 0.3" i think which means the "believes" part refers to the Binomial part of the question and 0.3 wasn't estimated.
Original post by coolguy123456
"believes that the data can be modelled by Binomial distribution with p = 0.3" i think which means the "believes" part refers to the Binomial part of the question and 0.3 wasn't estimated.

good!, gues i havent lost more stupid marks!
Original post by physicsmaths
good!, gues i havent lost more stupid marks!

That is what i believe any way, I doubt they'd say that and so far everyone has got the same answer .
Do you reckon putting "population divided into naturally occurring, mutually exclusive groups" would score no points in 1 a? Also, for 3a, would it be ok to say "ranks more important than numerical values"?
Reply 1412
Original post by Rkai01
Large populations is for systematic though. I'm annoyed I didn't write for large samples but donno about large population dude

I think I wrote large populations/samples cos I wasn't sure haha. I really should've went for "representative" though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1413
I wrote binomial (50,0.3) instead of (4,0.3) Would I loose the hypothesis mark B1? Would i loose any other mark? I stated (50,0.3) in the conclusion aswell will i loose a mark?

If anyone can write out what they remember from the questions then maybe we can all retry the questions properly & form an unofficial mark scheme!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rkai01
Fair to say:
A- 65/66
A*- 70/71

Given it was slightly harder than fp2 June 2015 I'd guess similarish but also less people do stats 3 than fp2 so might be the same.

i don't see why you compare it to a fp2 paper when this is an s3 paper. comparing to last year's s3 paper which was much harder, i think the gb's will be A*>72, A>66 p.s. last year's fp2 paper was considered to be quite easy i think
Original post by Euclidean
What exactly are you talking about? The estimator for sample mean or sample variance?

The new estimation of the variance on the addition of the new data.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lai812matthew
i don't see why you compare it to a fp2 paper when this is an s3 paper. comparing to last year's s3 paper which was much harder, i think the gb's will be A*>72, A>66 p.s. last year's fp2 paper was considered to be quite easy i think

This is clearly inaccurate: A* boundaries for past few years:
69 (71)

It has never been >70 except on an R paper.
This paper also had several tricks (CLT not at assumption, lose 2 DoF for a chi squared test) and because there were 3 chi squared was on the time pressured side => less time to check => more silly mistakes). Predict A* boundary 68 -69. No way is it 71 let alone higher.
8lol 72 for an A* hahhahahahahaha. banter the paper was abit tricky not trivial. M3 was trivial this year and A* will be atmost 70 i think.
Original post by Random1357
69 (71)

This paper also had several tricks (CLT not at assumption, lose 2 DoF for a chi squared test) and because there were 3 chi squared was on the time pressured side => less time to check => more silly mistakes). Predict A* boundary 68 -69. No way is it 71 let alone higher.

maybe i did not take enough samples of fp2 to consider then, making my standard error large, my fault then...... they do have a very small deviate of marks for each year comparing to other subjects lol.
Original post by Random1357
69 (71)

I wrote clt and sample variance you think I'll still get the mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending