The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by hashman
exactly my answer

i put that collagen is thick and insoluble therefore the O2 would not be able to diffuse out of it, but that the capillary wall is perforated allowing small molecules such as O2 to move out under high hydrostatic pressures - is that wrong?
Original post by nadeu01
Anyone know what the awnser to that weird ass plasmodium and erythrocrytes question was?

I wrote something about how it is indirectly transmitted through a vector,e.g.mosquito and that it is injected into the bloodstream lolol probably wrong
Reply 842
Original post by indrx__
Yes i wrote about IVF aswell, think it is wrong though as everyone else is saying something else :/

Really why?
Reply 843
Original post by Astro_Joe
Yeah, I believe the answer to that question was D because the biuret test should've been successful, and the benedicts and starch tests should have also been successful (but all only within the membrane.)

But isnt starch broken down into maltose which then diffuses out
Reply 844
Original post by wojiaoshakira
I wrote something about how it is indirectly transmitted through a vector,e.g.mosquito and that it is injected into the bloodstream lolol probably wrong

I said that too. I don't think it was wrong.
I got b because for the cytoplasm there was starch and amylase. The starch appeared in the iodine test but that was a tick for all of them. The amylase is an enzyme which is a protein and so should appear in the bruirets test. So u can cross out d and c. For a and b they were both the same except for b had a tick for the bruiret test and a didn't for the tissue fluid. It is b because although the starch would have been broken down my the amylase to make maltose it is a biological catalyst and so would not get used up so it should still appear in the buiret test. Therefore he answer is b. Hope this helped c
Reply 846
Original post by oni176
I said that too. I don't think it was wrong.

I said that viruses need DNA in the host cell inorder to survive and reproduce - there is no DNA in a red blood cell.
Plasmodium is in the red blood cell so it is protected from the bodies immune response by the antigens on the surface of the red blood cell so it can survive and reproduce otherwise it would be broken down by phagocytosis as its own antigens would be recognised as foreign.
idk about it feeding off stuff in the red blood cell, might be right but this concept is definitely correct but i am unsure about if this is what they were looking for :smile:
By the sounds of it everyone has some similar answers and may vary so that sounds good! :smile: lower grade boundaries! :smile:
Original post by rayytbh
I got b because for the cytoplasm there was starch and amylase. The starch appeared in the iodine test but that was a tick for all of them. The amylase is an enzyme which is a protein and so should appear in the bruirets test. So u can cross out d and c. For a and b they were both the same except for b had a tick for the bruiret test and a didn't for the tissue fluid. It is b because although the starch would have been broken down my the amylase to make maltose it is a biological catalyst and so would not get used up so it should still appear in the buiret test. Therefore he answer is b. Hope this helped c

I got this, though I'll admit a little bit more guesswork was involved than in yours :tongue:
Reply 849
Original post by abxo
I said that viruses need DNA in the host cell inorder to survive and reproduce - there is no DNA in a red blood cell.
Plasmodium is in the red blood cell so it is protected from the bodies immune response by the antigens on the surface of the red blood cell so it can survive and reproduce otherwise it would be broken down by phagocytosis as its own antigens would be recognised as foreign.
idk about it feeding off stuff in the red blood cell, might be right but this concept is definitely correct but i am unsure about if this is what they were looking for :smile:

I said that the virus attacks the cells to prevent immunisation to occur and the plasmodium bacteria allows the anopheles female mosquito to enter the blood stream and be used for warmth and feeding as well as harming the host cell, classified as indirect transmission with an intermediate (vector). Hopefully I'll get at least 1/3.
Original post by James3000117
I got this, though I'll admit a little bit more guesswork was involved than in yours :tongue:

I kinda just eliminated the letters by doing that. I do think it deserved more marks tho x
Reply 851
Original post by Jitesh
Pretty sure you would know from GCSE Chemistry though?
It's also in the Pearson textbook I believe

I had neither the revision guide or the Pearson textbook so I relied on the spec
Ahhh Charlotte pppppp
Reply 853
Original post by rayytbh

I put that but I thought of amylase as an extracellular enzyme so might diffuse out after a while maybe?
Original post by habibtii
I wrote the zoo should create an ex situ conservation.
for the cell thing I picked prophase. for W I wrote some random ******** answer :^)

i tlake dabout CITES -_-
Original post by alevelyh
i tlake dabout CITES -_-

sad times
For Zoo conservation I wrote - encourage visitors not to buy palm oil products palm oil is used in many shampoos and other toiletries and the production causes the deforestation of the rhinos habitat
Original post by habibtii
sad times

isnt that right?
as CITES monitors trading
the Convention on International Trade in endangered species
Original post by alevelyh
isnt that right?
as CITES monitors trading
the Convention on International Trade in endangered species

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I do not know biology. :^) it's the one I'll drop, I hope.
Cites is as you said is the convention in the trade of endangered species - basically a treaty in which countries work together to protect endangered species and if you wish to transport said species in or out of a country you have to get special permits this is anything from live animals to stuffed dead animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending