The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you love maths, do it. (Disclaimer: This only applies if you get an A or A* at GCSE)
Reply 21
Original post by Astro-Smarties
Hello, i was a C/B grade student at GCSE. I wasn't great at GCSE (not a fan of wordy maths, much prefer algebra) and now i have just done 2/4 of my AS maths exams. I really love doing A Level maths, and i am much better at it than i ever felt i was at GCSE. Its by no means easy though. I've been working at B/A grades on C1 papers, C/Bs at C2 and C grades in mechanics and decision. My advice is if you like it, are willing to put effort in and need it for a job/uni etc. then its a good idea to do it at A Level. If you're only doing it because you think it will look good then don't bother:smile: I have put a fair bit of effort in, like going after school, doing questions and recaps at home. But it doesn't feel like as much work because i really enjoy it.

Thank you! I'm also like this I hate the wordy questions but my algebra is fantastic! I tend to get full marks on algebra questions in the GCSE exam and I find them to be easy marks. I love maths too so thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to work hard even during the summer.
Reply 22
Maths is all about practise really, AS is straight forward (C1,C2). A2 is harder but doable if you put in the work. It also depends on your applied module S1 and s2 are the easier ones compared to mechanics and decision maths I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by richpanda
If you love maths, do it. (Disclaimer: This only applies if you get an A or A* at GCSE)

I might get an A if I'm lucky but I was a C/B student ever since my last mock. I'm sure I've improve massively though, fingers crossed
Reply 24
Original post by imran_
Maths is all about practise really, AS is straight forward (C1,C2). A2 is harder but doable if you put in the work. It also depends on your applied module S1 and s2 are the easier ones compared to mechanics and decision maths I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should I teach myself C1/C2
Original post by _Xenon_
I might get an A if I'm lucky but I was a C/B student ever since my last mock. I'm sure I've improve massively though, fingers crossed

Is that down to not working? If not, then I've got some bad news. It sounds harsh but there is a sizeable chunk of people who simply don't have the ability to do a level maths. Of all the people in my sixth form AS year who got B's at GCSE for maths and took AS maths, they either dropped it or are struggling.
Reply 26
Original post by _Xenon_
Should I teach myself C1/C2

C1 can easily be self taught.
C2, you many need a teachers help as topics such as circles can be tricky
Original post by _Xenon_
Alright thanks mate!!
So if I do revise I'll be one step ahead! :wink:

Well what grade do you want in a level maths?
LOL I didn't even read the q properly for my maths exam, this year, so ive lost my a* the paper was easy aswell.
Reply 29
Original post by Ayaz789
Well what grade do you want in a level maths?

A or A*
Reply 30
Original post by richpanda
Is that down to not working? If not, then I've got some bad news. It sounds harsh but there is a sizeable chunk of people who simply don't have the ability to do a level maths. Of all the people in my sixth form AS year who got B's at GCSE for maths and took AS maths, they either dropped it or are struggling.

I'm actually good at maths and yes it is down to not working that I achieved grades such as C/B in mock exams and I have a feeling that I can actually do extremely well if I do actually work hard if you get what I mean.

I'm naturally good at algebra and I heard A level maths is mainly that so that sounds exciting! I find algebra questions very easy actually. :biggrin:

I heard A* students failing A levels and I still want to do it... :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by imran_
C1 can easily be self taught.
C2, you many need a teachers help as topics such as circles can be tricky

Thanks for your help. I'll get started with exam solutions once my GCSEs finish.
There are a ton of people on this thread saying that you need an A/A* at GCSE to be able to do A level but tbh I don't think that that's true at all. I was predicted an A* at GCSE and got a high A, but I know people in my AS maths class that got low Bs and are doing really well. I think that as long as you're really committed to the subject you can do it with a B or above. You have to really really want to do it though. I was predicted a B at AS level and at the start of the year I was getting Es and Ds because I was doing the minimum amount of work I could get away with. Once I got into the swing of things though, and started actually doing extra practise at night and past papers, my grades have gone up to B/A grade. I wouldn't even say that it's my hardest subject. Don't let people saying you need a really high grade to do maths discourage you, if you're willing to put the work in then you can definitely do it.
Reply 33
Original post by Charlotte.P
There are a ton of people on this thread saying that you need an A/A* at GCSE to be able to do A level but tbh I don't think that that's true at all. I was predicted an A* at GCSE and got a high A, but I know people in my AS maths class that got low Bs and are doing really well. I think that as long as you're really committed to the subject you can do it with a B or above. You have to really really want to do it though. I was predicted a B at AS level and at the start of the year I was getting Es and Ds because I was doing the minimum amount of work I could get away with. Once I got into the swing of things though, and started actually doing extra practise at night and past papers, my grades have gone up to B/A grade. I wouldn't even say that it's my hardest subject. Don't let people saying you need a really high grade to do maths discourage you, if you're willing to put the work in then you can definitely do it.

Hi thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 34

I like this: were you predicted an A* because you were hard working at GCSE ?
Original post by Rajive
I like this: were you predicted an A* because you were hard working at GCSE ?

Pretty much, although I've been good at maths and science type subjects all the way through school (not so good at English and stuff like that though :wink::wink:)
Reply 36
Pretty much, although I've been good at maths and science type subjects all the way through school (not so good at English and stuff like that though :wink::wink:)

Me two, hate essays and that
Original post by Rajive
Me two, hate essays and that

Don't even ask me why I took RS at A level :u::u: sometimes I don't even know
Reply 38
Original post by Vikingninja
GCSE:

Advice for revision: if you have one of those large textbooks with knowledge and recap questions along with exam style, skip the knowledge and recap questions. I also wouldn't even use the textbook that much to read up on knowledge, just ask your teacher if you don't understand something. In A2 (can't say much about my AS XD) my very early revision used the textbook, later on (and including later AS) I NEVER used the textbook for revision.

The textbook was basically my life :colondollar::colondollar: only ever used the mixed exercises, but I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near my final grade without the textbook...
Original post by _Xenon_
A or A*

Ngl if you cannot get an A at the end of Gcse , i doubt you'll get an A* at A level maths! Some papers are hard and you need above 90% in c3 and c4! First try and get an A at gcse! Then work forward with that, if you cannot get an A or A* at gcse and want an A or A* at A level, i guess maths wouldn't be for you then!

Latest