The Student Room Group

British Council Teaching Assistants 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tohereknowswat
I've been allocated Outre-Mer, anyone get that?

Me! I'm half excited and half absolutely terrified!
Reply 101
Woo happy French students! My first choice was Outre-Mer so a bit bittersweet, did the email specify exactly which overseas département you were allocated?
Reply 102
Aix-Marseille for me :smile:
Reply 103
I am in Caen!!
Original post by jrms
Aix-Marseille for me :smile:

I got Aix-Marseille too! My first choice, so happy!
Original post by JeremyR
Woo happy French students! My first choice was Outre-Mer so a bit bittersweet, did the email specify exactly which overseas département you were allocated?

Ah, that's a shame. I was half-hoping I'd get somewhere in mainland France so that I wouldn't have to push myself out of my comfort zone but I know this will be the best thing for me in the long run. They haven't specified where, apparently we should find out in the next month or so.
Reply 106
Original post by deniseb2
I got Aix-Marseille too! My first choice, so happy!

Wasn't one of my three, but Nice was my first choice so happy I'm in the south! Just really hope I'm actually in the city of Marseille!
Got Lille. Absolutely devastated, had my heart set on Outre-Mer :frown: really don't want to go anymore but don't know what I can do.
Reply 108
Original post by Oli-Ol
Ah, that's a shame. I was half-hoping I'd get somewhere in mainland France so that I wouldn't have to push myself out of my comfort zone but I know this will be the best thing for me in the long run. They haven't specified where, apparently we should find out in the next month or so.

I totally agree, there definitely won't be any 'bad' experience wherever you end up. Strange how you know where you're going but don't at the same time ha
Original post by jrms
Wasn't one of my three, but Nice was my first choice so happy I'm in the south! Just really hope I'm actually in the city of Marseille!

You can get the Ouibus to Nice from Marseille for €15 return, done it many times! I've been living in Marseille for a year now so I'd like to stay in the city too or in surrounding towns/villages! But Marseille really is a great city and Provence in general is such a beautiful part of the country :smile:
Original post by 500DaysOfSummer
Got Lille. Absolutely devastated, had my heart set on Outre-Mer :frown: really don't want to go anymore but don't know what I can do.

You can withdraw from the programme you just have to let them know asap as there is still a waiting list
You can withdraw from the programme you just have to let them know asap as there is still a waiting list

I'm a student though so it's a requirement of my course to go on a year abroad
I'm a student though so it's a requirement of my course to go on a year abroad

Ah ok, I'm not sure how it works for that! You could talk to your lecturer/studies advisor about it but I think going to France, no matter where you are, will be so great experience wise! I remember for my year abroad I didn't get the city that I wanted in Spain (I did Erasmus student and not the BC) but I ended up loving where I was and others in my year who got their first choice and didn't enjoy it so you never know :smile:
Ah ok, I'm not sure how it works for that! You could talk to your lecturer/studies advisor about it but I think going to France, no matter where you are, will be so great experience wise! I remember for my year abroad I didn't get the city that I wanted in Spain (I did Erasmus student and not the BC) but I ended up loving where I was and others in my year who got their first choice and didn't enjoy it so you never know :smile:

Thanks for being so nice :smile: I know it's my own fault really, we were warned it was a risk, I'd just worked so hard on my application and built my hopes up a lot. Watching someone from my school doing BC in Réunion have an amazing time this year and having had a bit of a crap year at uni myself it was the thing that was keeping me going.

Congrats on your placement :smile:
Thanks for being so nice :smile: I know it's my own fault really, we were warned it was a risk, I'd just worked so hard on my application and built my hopes up a lot. Watching someone from my school doing BC in Réunion have an amazing time this year and having had a bit of a crap year at uni myself it was the thing that was keeping me going.

Congrats on your placement :smile:

Thank you :smile: I know its difficult right now because you feel like you worked so hard but no matter where you go you will build on your French and you should just make the most of it and try to enjoy the experience! And after your degree you will have the opportunity to do the British Council again :smile:
Reply 115
You can get the Ouibus to Nice from Marseille for €15 return, done it many times! I've been living in Marseille for a year now so I'd like to stay in the city too or in surrounding towns/villages! But Marseille really is a great city and Provence in general is such a beautiful part of the country :smile:

I specified that I wanted to be in a big city as a graduate as there will be more opportunities for private tutoring as I won't be receiving a loan/erasmus grant, so hopefully I will be. Thats cool, what is it like? I've never been to the south before which is why I chose Nice originally, having worked a summer in La Savoie and spent my year abroad studying at Science Po Strasbourg I wanted to try something completely different.
Original post by jrms
I specified that I wanted to be in a big city as a graduate as there will be more opportunities for private tutoring as I won't be receiving a loan/erasmus grant, so hopefully I will be. Thats cool, what is it like? I've never been to the south before which is why I chose Nice originally, having worked a summer in La Savoie and spent my year abroad studying at Science Po Strasbourg I wanted to try something completely different.

To be honest I love it here! Its so much more laid back than other parts of the country which is something I like plus coming from Northern Ireland I really do appreciate the glorious sun here haha the accent is quite strong and they have their own slang words like everywhere but its not difficult to get used to! Only negative about France in general is the amount of paperwork involved but once its done its done! If you want to know anything about here ie transport/CAF etc feel free to ask me, I've had to fill out a LOT of things since being here haha
Reply 117
To be honest I love it here! Its so much more laid back than other parts of the country which is something I like plus coming from Northern Ireland I really do appreciate the glorious sun here haha the accent is quite strong and they have their own slang words like everywhere but its not difficult to get used to! Only negative about France in general is the amount of paperwork involved but once its done its done! If you want to know anything about here ie transport/CAF etc feel free to ask me, I've had to fill out a LOT of things since being here haha

Paperwork is the bane of my life right now! My partner and I are in the process of renting a flat here in Lyon but keep getting rejected because we don't have French bank accounts or French guarantors. It's so frustratingly ironic because when I was in London there were hardly any decent, affordable flats and they'd disappear in an instant, and here there are plenty of beautiful and easily affordable places but no one will rent them to you without a 30 page dossier! But I think it's more of a problem for us as we're looking to rent a whole flat together rather than just looking for a flat share...
Original post by koneil
Paperwork is the bane of my life right now! My partner and I are in the process of renting a flat here in Lyon but keep getting rejected because we don't have French bank accounts or French guarantors. It's so frustratingly ironic because when I was in London there were hardly any decent, affordable flats and they'd disappear in an instant, and here there are plenty of beautiful and easily affordable places but no one will rent them to you without a 30 page dossier! But I think it's more of a problem for us as we're looking to rent a whole flat together rather than just looking for a flat share...

I know how you feel! Are you both working here? Its difficult because they ask that either you have a CDI or that you earn 3 times the amount of the rent a month its frustrating but you just need to find someone who will give you a chance because thats what happened to us! My boyfriend is from Marseille so luckily we have his parents as guarantors but at the time he didn't have a job and I'm self employed here (that's another long story about paperwork lol) so I wasn't earning a set amount each month (still not 😁) but we found an apartment on leboncoin and the woman was willing to give us a break because of being young graduates etc so don't give up just keep searching!
Original post by Oli-Ol
Me! I'm half excited and half absolutely terrified!

ah well done, and sorry to those who missed out.

I lived in Réunion for my university year abroad - it was probably the best thing I've ever done.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending