The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

'Discuss issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia (8+16)'
Are people using DSM IV or DSM V for this?
And if DSM V, are you explaining differences between it and the previous one?
Original post by A-LJLB
How is revision going? Try not to panic, I'm only starting today!

Hey! :smile:
Nothing seems to be going in properly :frown: like I can't write anything without notes :frown:
I'm like in full panic mode
I'm scheduled to do biology today and chemistry tomorrow then back on unit 3 psychology on Tuesday :frown:
Haven't even looked at unit 4
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Hey! :smile:
Nothing seems to be going in properly :frown: like I can't write anything without notes :frown:
I'm like in full panic mode
I'm scheduled to do biology today and chemistry tomorrow then back on unit 3 psychology on Tuesday :frown:
Haven't even looked at unit 4

I know it's far easier said than done, but take each day at a time and don't think about the long term goal (the exam). You'll find it's easier to retain information, it's probably the stress stopping you. Just do what you can! Like I said, you're well ahead of me!
Reply 843
For unit 3 I'm doing eating behaviours, aggression and intelligence.

I understand all the content in eating behaviours and aggression but I'm stuck with intelligence. Unfortunately we have a teacher for the intelligence unit who is really lovely, but when she explains the topics, she makes it confusing so we all end up making our own notes. Does anyone have notes for the outline and evaluation including research for the evolutionary explanations of human intelligence and notes for cultural explanations for IQ tests. They're the only areas that I'm stuck on and would be grateful if anyone could help!
I've had a look at various textbooks, but they are all rubbish as they have no relevant pieces of research evidence in them!
Reply 844
I was also wondering if anyone could help with the psychological explanations of schizophrenia for unit 4 including treatments.
Reply 845
Also, you know when questions say ' evaluate research into...' , do you have to jump straight into the research findings that support or refute the theory, or can you include a little bit of outline of the theory. I know this question may sound silly, but I'm just asking because if you jump into research without explaining the theory, the evaluation won't make sense
Reply 846
Original post by A-LJLB
How is revision going? Try not to panic, I'm only starting today!

how many essays have you learnt so far?
Original post by SunDun111
Are you saying dont use cultural bias? For example in the Social exchange essay im doing, im going to talk about cultural bias because it directly relates to the theory. E.g. Mogmaddon, found research suggesting in europe people prefer equality, wheras in US people prefer equity. This shows the bias even within the western cultures.

That would be a bit of my point but is this not accepted?

No I meant not to use culture bias in every essay - of course there are some essays such as the social exchange theory where culture bias is very relevant. But in certain topics, for example theories of sexual selection, culture bias may not be as applicable/relevant.
Original post by Onica
Also, you know when questions say ' evaluate research into...' , do you have to jump straight into the research findings that support or refute the theory, or can you include a little bit of outline of the theory. I know this question may sound silly, but I'm just asking because if you jump into research without explaining the theory, the evaluation won't make sense

It's not a silly question - a lot of people struggle with this. I've always thought that, even if a purely AO2 question came up, you'd still have to end up including some AO1 in order to show what it is you're evaluating. Just try not to go into detail or you risk wasting time on stuff you won't really get marks for!
Original post by Onica
I was also wondering if anyone could help with the psychological explanations of schizophrenia for unit 4 including treatments.

I will be uploading some revision slides for schizophrenia soon, including psychological explanations and treatments. First i'm going to focus on unit 3, though. I could message you to let you know when it's uploaded so you can check it out?
Original post by ombbk
how many essays have you learnt so far?

A large grand total of 0! But I have a very good memory, so I'll be fine :smile:
Reply 851
Original post by peterpotatoes
I will be uploading some revision slides for schizophrenia soon, including psychological explanations and treatments. First i'm going to focus on unit 3, though. I could message you to let you know when it's uploaded so you can check it out?

Thanks - you're a life saver! :smile:
In addiction do we need a AO2 point for everything e.g for the maintenance of gambling in learning explanations?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
In addiction do we need a AO2 point for everything e.g for the maintenance of gambling in learning explanations?

No, normally there's a study for each theory for gambling and smoking - so initiation, maintenance and relapse have one study between them
Reply 854
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Is anyone learning neural and hormonal mechanisms of aggression separately or together? Because I can't see it coming up separately and the loopa answers write them together but there's always the chance

The question will normally be something like outline and evaluate neutral and/or hormonal mechanisms of aggression...
Original post by A-LJLB
No, normally there's a study for each theory for gambling and smoking - so initiation, maintenance and relapse have one study between them

Okay phew thanks!!!
Original post by T-Osiris
'Discuss issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia (8+16)'
Are people using DSM IV or DSM V for this?
And if DSM V, are you explaining differences between it and the previous one?

My teacher said it really doesn't matter which one you talk about. Just include points like what DSM is and how its continuously being improved etc.
I think the main points you need to elaborate on is the reliability and validity of DSM.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 857
Original post by A-LJLB
A large grand total of 0! But I have a very good memory, so I'll be fine :smile:

same lol i'm hoping my memory does not let me down!!
If issues & debates comes up for schizophrenia i'll literally burst into flames i hate that essay
Original post by peterpotatoes
If issues & debates comes up for schizophrenia i'll literally burst into flames i hate that essay

Issues and debates?

Latest

Trending

Trending