The Student Room Group

Why are GCSE's so hard

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sfhkh
I think it's fine but the school I applied to want's me to achieve B's and above in the topics I want to study for A Levels.

Yeah same my sixth form needs me to get B's in my chosen subjects what have chosen?
Reply 21
Original post by B_9710
If someone wants to go to top top uni, maybe Oxbridge, they need to get really good GCSE's, so a C to these people won't cut it.

That is a valid point :smile:
Original post by Советский Гай
I didn't get higher than an F in mocks and I need C's

I would say make flashcards, read revision guides/notes and this would help you to retain the information or even the internet is very good you literally can find anything on youtube to help you or something like Tes which has a wealth of resources. I was disappointed after 1A*, 1A, 5B and 3C's in my mocks but I am quite confident that I have managed to ace my GCSE exams till now with the help of the internet. For Maths Hegartymaths is fantastic, For English MrBruff is a lifesaver and for Science mygcsescience is a godsend all fantastic youtube teachers .
Reply 23
Original post by alevez2ez
It's because everyone has different standards to how well they think they have done.

And that is different for each school as well. My school only allowed 8 As or A* students to enter sixth form with the exception of few people who had 1-2 less As in their GCSE.

This is true.. but wow your sixth form must be good the requirements are so high
Original post by Tinka99
I would say make flashcards, read revision guides/notes and this would help you to retain the information or even the internet is very good you literally can find anything on youtube to help you or something like Tes which has a wealth of resources. I was disappointed after 1A*, 1A, 5B and 3C's in my mocks but I am quite confident that I have managed to ace my GCSE exams till now with the help of the internet. For Maths Hegartymaths is fantastic, For English MrBruff is a lifesaver and for Science mygcsescience is a godsend all fantastic youtube teachers .

These sound good. I shall check them out.
Original post by 123moon
That is a valid point :smile:

not really,
if you get good in a levels you'll still get into a uni like oxbridge
Reply 26
GCSEs Aren't too hard its more about Stress management. Made to Prepare you for more years of stress after GCSEs. :frown: sad really, I wanna stay an innocent teen.
Reply 27
Original post by mrpaper
not really,
if you get good in a levels you'll still get into a uni like oxbridge

I suppose but the odds are against you if your gcses are slightly lower than the average candidates applying.
Reply 28
Original post by JMF1
GCSEs Aren't too hard its more about Stress management. Made to Prepare you for more years of stress after GCSEs. :frown: sad really, I wanna stay an innocent teen.

This is true also i feel as though that there are too many subjects at one time and can be hard to focus equally on all of them (time management)
Reply 29
I feel like GCSE's doesn't really test someone's capabilities except for English and Maths. It's mostly testing a person's memory.
Gcses are easy, trust me. I revised the day before, or not at all, and ended up with 2 A*, 4 A, 6B. I was worried, but it turned out okay lol.

A levels on the other hand... I started revising in Decemeber everyday and am barely confident of AABC.
Original post by Calzs34
Gcses are easy, trust me. I revised the day before, or not at all, and ended up with 2 A*, 4 A, 6B. I was worried, but it turned out okay lol.

A levels on the other hand... I started revising in Decemeber everyday and am barely confident of AABC.

It's different for different people the language barrier doesn't help either.
Fam wait til you get to A levels and then uni.
GCSEs were a fricking breeze
Original post by 123moon
This is true.. but wow your sixth form must be good the requirements are so high

Nope, it is not as good as you think.

They allow a lot of people whom they interview as well. Entry is not completely dependent on grades. I know of a girl who got Cs and Ds but she's still in the school. She is taking three subjects which are Drama, Psychology and English. She said the school told her that she is not eligible for sciences, she had no intent to take them anyway lol.
Original post by Советский Гай
I wan't.

You learn stuff by revising and putting time to practice it. Spend some time a day practicing it and it will come to you in some weeks or months.
Original post by Vikingninja
You learn stuff by revising and putting time to practice it. Spend some time a day practicing it and it will come to you in some weeks or months.

I hope so.
I'm in year 13 doing my alevels and looking back at my gcses, its justa piece of cake. It is definitely hard at first but the thing is, at gcse its mostly about memory rather than understanding the topic. At alevel its all about understanding.

so try learning key definitions in science or just the same steps and calculations in maths
GCSEs, in and of themselves are not that difficult; they are rather easy. It is how the exam board expect you to revise, i.e. memorising so much you literally go into overdrive.
It is unrealistic to force someone to memorise so much subject content, and that is what makes GCSEs hard. If GCSEs were more like an undergrad, students would be less stressed, have the freedom to actually explore their own writing styles/subject interests without being confined to a curriculum, and also be able to remember more, because they won't be force fed information.
I actually miss my GCSE years; in hindsight, it's not that bad. My issue is teachers make you feel like if you are 1 mark under your target grade boundary, you are useless even though you are not.
I have one piece of information for any GCSE student

Do not let your grades define you.

Do not defeat yourself if you get a 6 instead of an 8; a 6 is perfectly acceptable, as is a 4.

Peace out.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by WRNS.Fanatic
GCSEs, in and of themselves are not that difficult; they are rather easy. It is how the exam board expect you to revise, i.e. memorising so much you literally go into overdrive.
It is unrealistic to force someone to memorise so much subject content, and that is what makes GCSEs hard. If GCSEs were more like an undergrad, students would be less stressed, have the freedom to actually explore their own writing styles/subject interests without being confined to a curriculum, and also be able to remember more, because they won't be force fed information.
I actually miss my GCSE years; in hindsight, it's not that bad. My issue is teachers make you feel like if you are 1 mark under your target grade boundary, you are useless even though you are not.
I have one piece of information for any GCSE student

Do not let your grades define you.

Do not defeat yourself if you get a 6 instead of an 8; a 6 is perfectly acceptable, as is a 4.

Peace out.

Please don’t bump threads that are 5.5 years old.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Please don’t bump threads that are 5.5 years old.

Sorry. Thought maybe an up to date input would be of use to anyone new who could check this discussion. Will not make the same mistake again.

Quick Reply

Latest