The Student Room Group

Will I be able to do a level Spanish from scratch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by senpaipoppy
You could do those at A level because I'm doing French even though I'm French. How long have you lived in the UK?

I lived here nearly 5 years and no I can't take those at a level because they don't have them in nearby colleges
Original post by Kaimich17.11
I lived here nearly 5 years and no I can't take those at a level because they don't have them in nearby colleges

Sorry I didn't read the last part of your message :colondollar:. Yeah, I was just asking because to get student finance you need to have lived here for 5 years so I was just checking. But yeah, if you think you would enjoy spanish and are prepared to spend time learning it then go for it. Otherwise, maybe consider another A level
Original post by senpaipoppy
Sorry I didn't read the last part of your message :colondollar:. Yeah, I was just asking because to get student finance you need to have lived here for 5 years so I was just checking. But yeah, if you think you would enjoy spanish and are prepared to spend time learning it then go for it. Otherwise, maybe consider another A level

But would 2 years to learn from knowing nothing to knowing end of a levels stuff even practically possible?
But would 2 years to learn from knowing nothing to knowing end of a levels stuff even practically possible?

Depends on how committed you would be to learning the language
Hello,
I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I think my grades are going to be:
Russian-A* Maths- A double science -BB history-C English literature -C/B RS- C French-C English language-C/D Art-C computer studies-pass music-D
I was thinking of doing a levels in maths, biology and fast track Spanish- where you do GCSE in year 12 and As and A2 in second year. As well as you can see my GCSE grade in English my not even reach a C and that's because English is my third language and when I did my coursework I barely knew any English so i got like a U in that, meaning that I had to get an A in first English igcse reading paper to be able to get a C. Additionally for college I'm applying to they require grade A in either English or a foreign language , and I know I gotten A* in Russian but that's because I already basically know it and just had to sit an exam without teacher so had to learn all how to write and read in Russian in a week which I managed. As well as for French I might only get a C because we had a crap teacher who didn't even teach us anything but just said write this and she always said how bad mine was and then just wrote it and I had to remember it for my coursework, as well as I sat the foundation papers, but so many sat higher and now I feel really bad that the college will say no that I can't do the a level. But I can speak Latvian, Russian and English fluently right now, and Latvian and Russian are completely different if you are wondering.
I really will appreciate all the help I can get

Hmm... languages... I suppose it all depends on how dedicated you are. You have a C in GCSE French and French isn't too dissimilar to Spanish, they're more similar than most people would think. I think it's a case of if you can focus really hard and regularly learn vocabulary and grammar because GCSE to A-Level is a large jump in terms of language. *NOT* impossible though! If you think you could push yourself to learn the language well enough, I say go for it! Seeing your language skills so far in learning Latvian and Russian to fluency, you must be very talented in grammar as it is. Like I said, don't take my response as "don't do it you'll just fail" because you could do very well as other posts suggest; you just need to look at the Spanish language and think "is it something I could push myself to work hard at?"

If it is, ¡a por ello! :biggrin:
Original post by bonney12
Hmm... languages... I suppose it all depends on how dedicated you are. You have a C in GCSE French and French isn't too dissimilar to Spanish, they're more similar than most people would think. I think it's a case of if you can focus really hard and regularly learn vocabulary and grammar because GCSE to A-Level is a large jump in terms of language. *NOT* impossible though! If you think you could push yourself to learn the language well enough, I say go for it! Seeing your language skills so far in learning Latvian and Russian to fluency, you must be very talented in grammar as it is. Like I said, don't take my response as "don't do it you'll just fail" because you could do very well as other posts suggest; you just need to look at the Spanish language and think "is it something I could push myself to work hard at?"

If it is, ¡a por ello! :biggrin:

Thank you
To take marine biology at Southampton university you need AAB. You must have an A in biology. The two subjects can be two of the following: Chemistry, physics, maths, geology or environmental science. You can take geography but only if you have an AS in another science. Psychology cannot be included. Universities will vary as some only need two subjects.

I want to be a marine biologist too. Lets hope we make it. Good luck!
Reply 47
I want to do marine biology and I'm currently studying Chemisty, Biology and Geography at A Level. I did AS French too, which was horrific!! I speak 4 languages and at the start of year 10, I started learning Spanish. By the end of Year 11, I had an A grade in my AS Spanish! It's 100% possible if you speak fairly fluent French! But you definitely need at least two STEM subjects for Marine Biology
Posted from TSR Mobile

honestly, I think it's possible but very unlikely. you will have to work incredibly hard. I'm spanish and the jump from gcse to a level was showing and people in my class who got As at gcse had to drop or are merely scratching a C or even a pass. To get an A in a levels you must have pretty much full marks in contrast to gcse level languages. I really don't want you to put you off but I neither want you to take on a subject that could drag your other subjects down as it is lots of independent work outside of school and especially if you haven't done it before. However, there are schools that will do it at different levels, at least IB in one of my local grammar schools do, but I don't know if that's always the case. anyway, feel free to message me more at any time if you want to know something about the course or language in general.
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Most will have entry requirements of AAB, but realistically you would need A*AA to secure a place, because of all the competition.

Is marine biology really that competitive?
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
Is marine biology really that competitive?

Well the entry requirements are usually ABB or AAB, but there will be other students who would want to study marine biology. So to be in the safe zone aim for A*AA, but you can still get in with the entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending