The Student Room Group

Stressing about matching older sibling GCSE grades

What do you do if you feel really stressed out as your sibling got A* in EVERY subject (for GCSE) and you feel pressure to match it, as you started revision really late to do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lan5
What to do if you feel really stress as your sibling got A* in EVERY subject and you feel pressure to match it as you started revision really late to do?

you dont have to math them lol
Reply 2
Loooolll, you don't have to match them
Reply 3
Thanks for making me realise that and feel better! :grin:
Reply 4
You get all Us to cancel out her A*s, that's how it works right
edit: dunno why I assumed they are a her, probs cos I only have a sister
I understand you - I have a brother who is getting straight A stars and it feels like he's not even trying.

But don't feel pressurised cos grades aren't everything! There will be other areas which you do better it :smile:
Original post by lan5
What do you do if you feel really stressed out as your sibling got A* in EVERY subject and you feel pressure to match it as you started revision really late to do?

Older siblings tend to do better academically anyway.
It's never too late to revise... Work extreme (like I am now) and you'll do quite good.
Reply 8
Original post by Emilia1479
I understand you - I have a brother who is getting straight A stars and it feels like he's not even trying.

But don't feel pressurised cos grades aren't everything! There will be other areas which you do better it :smile:

I really do hate it when I sit down and revise all day and get good grades while others manage to get the same grades by literally putting no effort in.
haha I really do get you - sometimes, I just shut myself in my study and other people are going to parties etc

But it seems that in the long run, the hard work does pay off... (?)

Original post by Tinka99
I really do hate it when I sit down and revise all day and get good grades while others manage to get the same grades by literally putting no effort in.
Reply 10
You don't have to match your older sibling... My little brother is always compared to me because I got some of the best grades in the year and I tell him that it doesn't matter how he does because we are not the same person

You and your sibling are different people with different brains... It doesn't matter how you do YOU ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE
Original post by lan5
What do you do if you feel really stressed out as your sibling got A* in EVERY subject (for GCSE) and you feel pressure to match it, as you started revision really late to do?

You don't have to match them, I am sure your parents will still be really happy with you even if you don't get all A*s. Just remember to try your best, that is all anybody can ever ask of you and best of luck!:smile:
I'm in a similar situation to you except I am the oldest sibling. I feel like I have to do really well to set a good example to both my siblings, and my parents, teachers, friends- practically everyone expects me to get all A*s. I have started revision really really late, but remember that there is always time and you can achieve your best! Don't give up and best of luck!:biggrin:
Original post by Tinka99

Lol I am like this. My friends say the same thing to me!:smile:

Spoiler

Don't treat life as a competition with other people, it's a bit like how people will always compare themselves to others...

....it's a game you're never going to win.

There's always someone with better looks, grades, physique, social standing etc. just be proud of whatever you achieve :smile:
With my personal experience, my older sister got 7 A's, there was no way I would match up to her (lol)...
Just do the best that you can, at least try and get an A in something (it's a lot easier at GCSE vs AS). =D
Reply 15
Use them! Having an older sibling with great grades is an absolutely amazing tool because you can use their intelligence to your advantage! Ask them for revision help, help teaching you a subject you may not understand, help with time management, stress, etc.

Don't see them as your competition (although you, your peers and MOST PROBABLY your parents may be pitting you against each other), see them as a guide to help you succeed in the same way.

Also, although you've probably hard this a lot, everyone works differently and just because you think that you've started revising too late doesn't mean you can't / won't get all A*s (or whatever grades you are aiming for) too. You may put in more work in the few days/weeks/months leading up to your exams than the people who started much earlier.

[I have an older sibling who got all A*s / 100% in their GCSEs (hard to compete with!) that has been EXTREMELY helpful in etting me through these GCSEs and has some amazing tips! :smile:]

Posted from TSR Mobile
My brother is a doctor at a decent hospital with published work and national prize winner with another degree in neuroscience at one of the best unis in the UK.

Matching his GCSEs...I got bigger fish to fry.

To be fair...he's smaller than me so I can still pick on him.

Quick Reply

Latest