The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SunDun111
Anyone who does eating behavior, can you tell me what the para ventricular nucleus is and what it has to do with the ventro medical hypothalamus? I lost my bloody notes..

For my ao1 point i talk about how stimulation of the VHM results in the inhibition of feeding and how damage to the ventricular hypothalamus (VMH) causes hyperphagia (overeating).
Damage to the vmh also damages the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) and Gold claimed that damage to the PVN alone causes hyperphagia. The PVN also detects the specific foods our brain needs and seems to be responsible for many of our "cravings".

Hope this makes sense.
Original post by miajohnsonhall
the problem with psychology predictions is that AQA have an awful habit of repeating questions they have already set, and ignoring questions we haven't seen for years! thus its almost impossible to predict whats going to come up on a logical basis. sorry!

I think that any questions that have been left out so far, are left out for a reason, so predicting something because it has never come up isn't always the best idea
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Quick food for thought guys!

So I was thinking last year institutional aggression came up on the replacement paper but before that It hadnt come up for a long time .... So I'm thinking what are the possibilities of us getting a question on institutional aggression considering it hadn't come up for a long time even though it was on the replacement paper... Also how many years in advance are the papers written? Don't know if I've just said makes sense I'll post this anyway .... :smile:

They never actually repeat questions. That would be too cruel. Last year, when institutional aggression came up our whole psychology class had a field day. However, they did manage to throw a "curveball" for the relationship question which I doubt they'll throw another curveball for relationships again.

I have a feeling that they'll throw a curveball for aggression so I'd suggest revising all of Loopa's predictions for aggression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nemanuel96
They never actually repeat questions. That would be too cruel. Last year, when institutional aggression came up our whole psychology class had a field day. However, they did manage to throw a "curveball" for the relationship question which I doubt they'll throw another curveball for relationships again.

I have a feeling that they'll throw a curveball for aggression so I'd suggest revising all of Loopa's predictions for aggression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What aggression curveball are you suggesting?
this is a very basic question but does anyone know the timings for the unit 3 paper? i know its one of the most important things, especially as i have 25% extra time!
Original post by TMC113
What aggression curveball are you suggesting?

Genetic explanation (MAOA, Twin and Adoption studies) would be the curveball. A likely contender would also be the human aggression e.g infidelity and jealousy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
this is a very basic question but does anyone know the timings for the unit 3 paper? i know its one of the most important things, especially as i have 25% extra time!

From memory, I think it's an hour and a half. So that would be an average 1 essay every half an hour. As you have little extra time you could go over 30 min mark per an essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Genetic explanation (MAOA, Twin and Adoption studies) would be the curveball. A likely contender would also be the human aggression e.g infidelity and jealousy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they're the predictions??

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're not curveballs though, they're very likely to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LJLB
But they're the predictions??

Yeah, I considered curveballs to be the one predicted the least. So in this case genetic. Most people would only revise the top two or three max so anything outside of the top two prediction for every essay we considered a curveball.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I considered curveballs to be the one predicted the least. So in this case genetic. Most people would only revise the top two or three max so anything outside of the top two prediction for every essay we considered a curveball.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm okay, but genetic and infidelity are the third most likely, as they're equally likely
what do people think is going to come up for gender and bio rhythms? gender gender dysphoria has never come up as a 24 marker :crossedf:
Reply 1752
I think it will be genes for aggression.... But also slight chance of group displays :/
what do people think is going to come up for gender and bio rhythms? gender gender dysphoria has never come up as a 24 marker :crossedf:

4+8 gender dysphoria 4+8 evolutionary

4 Infradian
4+16 role of EP/EZ
Reply 1754
Original post by Mesosleepy
4+8 gender dysphoria 4+8 evolutionary

4 Infradian
4+16 role of EP/EZ

Gender... I think it's just gonna be a straight biosocial question (8+16)
Original post by NHM
Gender... I think it's just gonna be a straight biosocial question (8+16)

Kohlberg (8+16) possibly gender schema - gender doesn't seem to have much of a pattern, but they lurrrvvveeee cognitive

EP+EZ (8+16)
Reply 1756
Original post by TMC113
Kohlberg (8+16) possibly gender schema - gender doesn't seem to have much of a pattern, but they lurrrvvveeee cognitive

EP+EZ (8+16)

I do have a gut feeling about Kohlberg haha!
Hi, sorry im a lil confused.......ive read so many online essays about the role of hormones such as leptin and ghrelin in eating behaaviour what is the relevance of this to the neural mechs essay then if it isnt a neural mechanism? e.g the loopa guy wrote this
Another mechanism believed to be in-volved is the fat hormone Leptin which is neuropeptide produced by fat tissue - is this not referring to leptin being a neural mechanism?
Original post by A-LJLB
Hormones aren't neural :wink:

Interesting, I use amygdala, pre-frontal cortex and neurotransmitters
(edited 7 years ago)
for the gender section...

I don't know if anyone else would agree with me on this, but in my point of view if the AQA exam board really wanted to make this unit 3 exam paper one that would be relatively difficult and somewhat confusing as expected, taking into account the fact that they tend to use repeating questions throughout many past papers could the question be a split question on the biosocial theory and the influence of genes and hormones?

For example: -Outline the role of genes and hormones in gender development (8 marks)
-Use research evidence to asses biosocial explanations to gender development (16 marks)

I say this because it would mean reusing the biosocial question but making it more challenging as both the influence of genes and hormones as well as the biosocial explanation to gender development share many evaluation points and this could be challenging for the student
Original post by artymaniac
Hi, sorry im a lil confused.......ive read so many online essays about the role of hormones such as leptin and ghrelin in eating behaaviour what is the relevance of this to the neural mechs essay then if it isnt a neural mechanism? e.g the loopa guy wrote this
Another mechanism believed to be in-volved is the fat hormone Leptin which is neuropeptide produced by fat tissue - is this not referring to leptin being a neural mechanism?

You can still use that even if it does say neural.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending