The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Could someone outline how SV works please? I know it's the simplest one but just in case it comes up..I don't know it in enough detail :tongue: Thankssss
Original post by mollyadtr
I think there's 4 as classes and only one a2 class in mine, but 6 people?! Do you find you learn a lot more with a small amount of people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well we all around the same level in terms of what we know and we all criticise our teacher. Its obviously better than a big class but id rather have a good teacher as well
Original post by xxvine
How do you say this

AMS is proportional representation method or uses proportional representation? I'm baffed

AMS uses one half FPTP and the other half is muli member constituencies using closed party list. its a hydrid system and closed party list is proportional
Original post by chloelong
Simple plurality system :smile: meaning its simply the candidate with the MOST votes, not the MAJORITY of all votes

Got it, thanks! In the book it is cited as an example of a majoritarian system but I guess (as it says in the book) it is 'not strictly accurate' because that refers to the 'system output, when it should describe its mechanics'.
Original post by chocolate_cat_99
Here it is. Sorry for the wait, I had to get the file size right. And if you want me to mark your papers I'd be more than happy to, help us both out :smile:

For ur 5 markers -

I would go into more detail about functional representation - the fact it is representation of specific issues people have - for example, AGE UK employs solicitors to protect their members (the elderly) when they have been legally abused. I would defintely go into more detail on your five marker. As in explain who Trade Unions and Student Unions (even though its obvious you really need to spell it out. As in 'Student Unions which represent the interests of students in the UK and ensuring they have a platform to be represented to the government.'

Likewise, with your 10 marker, I would go into more detail. Literally explain everything you say and the examples you give - the bit about the Countryside Alliance is explained well. I would go into a bit more detail about ur points - as in you could quickly note how powerful groups are usually insider - and you could link that to elitism briefly. But generally your 10 marker seems clear and really good. Try and not use brackets and put in rather, 'evidence of the political theory of tyranny of the majority'.

Your 25 marker is really good. I personally would use less examples and explain them in more detail in relation to the question but they are really good examples and generally great detail I think! :smile: I would tend to use 1 or 2 examples of each point but only if I can explain them really well and link it to my point and the question. :smile:

Hope that helped a bit!
Original post by alevelpain
Could someone outline how SV works please? I know it's the simplest one but just in case it comes up..I don't know it in enough detail :tongue: Thankssss

It's a shortened version of AV where there are two columns on the ballot paper - first choice & second choice, marked by an "X".
All first choice votes are counted, and if a candidate has a majority they are elected. If no candidate recieves a majority, the top two candidates continue to a second round and the second choice votes of those whose candidates were eliminated are added to the first-round totals of the two leading candidates.
Whichever candidate has the most votes after second-preference wins. :smile:

2 votes
If the winner receives over 50% of first choice preferences they're the winner
If not, the top two candidates go into the next round while other candidates are eliminated, those who were eliminated have their second preference votes distributed to the top two candidates until a winner is crowned, they do not have to have a majority when this happens though, Khan won the election on 44.2%
I think that's practically it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have noes or plans for anything to do with parties
I am trying to plan the essays and need help on auestions such as modern party ideas and modern conservativ ideas and why they are internally divided
Original post by The_Phlox
Does anyone have noes or plans for anything to do with parties
I am trying to plan the essays and need help on auestions such as modern party ideas and modern conservativ ideas and why they are internally divided

The only thing I have is the manifestos for all the parties for the 2015 election and if it's adversarial politics or consensus and that kinda stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jxssamy
It's a shortened version of AV where there are two columns on the ballot paper - first choice & second choice, marked by an "X".
All first choice votes are counted, and if a candidate has a majority they are elected. If no candidate recieves a majority, the top two candidates continue to a second round and the second choice votes of those whose candidates were eliminated are added to the first-round totals of the two leading candidates.

To add to that - make sure to note candidates don't need above 50% to win the place - only more than their other candidate in the second preference vote count.

Could someone please outline AV?
Original post by jxssamy

2 votes
If not, the top two candidates go into the next round while other candidates are eliminated, those who were eliminated have their second preference votes distributed to the top two candidates until a winner is crowned, they do not have to have a majority when this happens though, Khan won the election on 44.2%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both 😁
2 votes

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought Khan won on 56.9%? Or is your total without second preference? :smile:
Original post by AllanSmith22
Well we all around the same level in terms of what we know and we all criticise our teacher. Its obviously better than a big class but id rather have a good teacher as well

Sounds heavy. I've got the best of both worlds with a class of 5 and a teacher who used to write exam papers for Edexcel and AQA.
The only thing I have is the manifestos for all the parties for the 2015 election and if it's adversarial politics or consensus and that kinda stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I have that please ?

Basicly each person gets 2 votes, first and second choice for 2 candidates. the first choice votes are counted first and if any candidate has over 50% of first choice votes they are instantly elected. however, if no one candidate has a majority of votes only the top 2 candidates with the most % of votes stay and the rest of them leave the race for election. now with only 2 candidates they count the second choices of all the people who voted for candidates which had lost and they are redistributed to the top 2 candidates.

positives- clear mandate, increased legitimacy and accountable and quite simple

negatives- winner doesnt necessarily have to get majority of first choice votes. it enchrenches a 2 party system
Original post by jxssamy
I thought Khan won on 56.9%? Or is your total without second preference? :smile:

Ah yeah **** was was looking at first preference! 56.9% is over all you're right 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nightcall
Sounds heavy. I've got the best of both worlds with a class of 5 and a teacher who used to write exam papers for Edexcel and AQA.

Youre so lucky
Anyone have predictions for parties and elections
I saw a post with what someone thought would come up (some person that isnt doing elections) but i cant seem to find it and dont know which thread it was in
Original post by jxssamy

You're right, he got 44.2% of votes on first preference votes, but because that wasn't above 50%, they counted second preference votes and he had 65% of second preference vote, giving him an overall percentage win of nearly 57%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending