The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aaas115
I know but the thing is I'm not completely ready for tomorrow and I know that I won't do as well as I could if I had started revising earlier, so I need to retake it next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not ready on my retake either... :ashamed:
Original post by elchapo97
doesnt the specification change? the content will be much tougher

Why would it change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pokémontrainer
I'm not ready on my retake either... :ashamed:

Ah no, why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aaas115
Ah no, why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is just an exam I will never get :frown:
It is just an exam I will never get :frown:

What did you get last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aaas115
What did you get last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

B overall - C in unit 1 and A in unit 2.
B overall - C in unit 1 and A in unit 2.

That's good! Why are you retaking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aaas115
That's good! Why are you retaking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Need a better chance at A for my offer!
Need a better chance at A for my offer!

Oh okay, that makes sense. If I got a B overall I would be over the moon! But I only started revising two days ago so I've just got to wish for the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aaas115
Oh okay, that makes sense. If I got a B overall I would be over the moon! But I only started revising two days ago so I've just got to wish for the best

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, that's about as much as I did last year too. You can do it! I can't this time round though...
Can someone tell me if my arguments for a direct democracy are good enough?:

For:
Purest form of democracy, and the power is in the hands of the people, thus, curing voter apathy and helping with political engagement.
Better educated and well informed society, e.g. more people taking part in political debates during the EU referendum, with some attending the Sky News Debate with David Cameron on the EU referendum
Rule is more legitimate, as the people are making decisions- if the people make policy decisions, they are thus, more likely to accept them, which also adds to government stability- e.g. Scottish Independence referendum, turnout was 84.6%, which increases democratic legitimacy considerably.

Against:
1. It doesn't really cure voter apathy, e.g. in the AV referendum, there was a turnout of merely 42%, thus, illustrating referendums, a form of direct democracy, do not necessarily encourage political participation. Also, side point, direct democracy in an electorate of ours would be difficult anyway, since we have an electorate of 46.2 million since 2015 general election, thus, creating a long and tedious process of policy formation.
2. Electorate could make ill informed decisions based on misinformation, political spin and lack of knowledge, e.g. the EU referendum campaigns have both been thought of as "scaremongering" and providing a lack of impartial info. In addition, some did not understand the pros/cons of AV referendum, which could have possibly lead to the 'no' vote regarding the proportional electoral system, compared to FPTP. Note; these ill informed decisions could be a disadvantage as they would affect the constitution considerably.
3. Finally, only majority views are taken into account in direct democracies, as minority views are harder to advocate, unlike in a representative democracy, where there are representatives for different sections of society, e.g. ethnic minorities, women, etc.

I feel like my for views are too vague???????????
Reply 1131
Original post by IRoranth
Same! I loveee talking about divisions within and between parties, just not those in the coalition, loool, what are your points for and against direct democracy? If you're doing democracy?

Party divisions are my speciality, pretty good at them in terms of general and revised knowledge. It's hard to grasp and time consuming I'll admit but definitely an interesting one!

Points for:
- Allows individuals to make decisions as opposed to having such decisions made on their behalf
- People engage in politics on a regular and ongoing basis

Points Against:
- Unworkable in a modern society as individuals may well be ill informed about what the right decisions would be.
- People cannot find a lot of time to cope with making such decisions.
Reply 1132
Can someone tell me if my arguments for a direct democracy are good enough?:

For:
Purest form of democracy, and the power is in the hands of the people, thus, curing voter apathy and helping with political engagement.
Better educated and well informed society, e.g. more people taking part in political debates during the EU referendum, with some attending the Sky News Debate with David Cameron on the EU referendum
Rule is more legitimate, as the people are making decisions- if the people make policy decisions, they are thus, more likely to accept them, which also adds to government stability- e.g. Scottish Independence referendum, turnout was 84.6%, which increases democratic legitimacy considerably.

Against:
1. It doesn't really cure voter apathy, e.g. in the AV referendum, there was a turnout of merely 42%, thus, illustrating referendums, a form of direct democracy, do not necessarily encourage political participation. Also, side point, direct democracy in an electorate of ours would be difficult anyway, since we have an electorate of 46.2 million since 2015 general election, thus, creating a long and tedious process of policy formation.
2. Electorate could make ill informed decisions based on misinformation, political spin and lack of knowledge, e.g. the EU referendum campaigns have both been thought of as "scaremongering" and providing a lack of impartial info. In addition, some did not understand the pros/cons of AV referendum, which could have possibly lead to the 'no' vote regarding the proportional electoral system, compared to FPTP. Note; these ill informed decisions could be a disadvantage as they would affect the constitution considerably.
3. Finally, only majority views are taken into account in direct democracies, as minority views are harder to advocate, unlike in a representative democracy, where there are representatives for different sections of society, e.g. ethnic minorities, women, etc.

I feel like my for views are too vague???????????

You can always limit your advantages, if you feel that it is too vague.

Such as while the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum had a remarkable turnout rate of 85%. It could go to the other way like in the 1994 London Mayor referendum of only 34% turnout which makes the decision not legitimate.
Original post by Nel97
You can always limit your advantages, if you feel that it is too vague.

Such as while the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum had a remarkable turnout rate of 85%. It could go to the other way like in the 1994 London Mayor referendum of only 34% turnout which makes the decision not legitimate.

What do you mean I can limit my advantages, shouldn't I expand or get more advantages? I reeeeally think direct democracy is going to pop up, i'll be glad if it doesn't D:
Original post by MBenjamin
Here you go!

Thanks so much!
Don't worry, that's about as much as I did last year too. You can do it! I can't this time round though...

You can only get better though! I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if you barely revised last year and got a B!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1136
What do you mean I can limit my advantages, shouldn't I expand or get more advantages? I reeeeally think direct democracy is going to pop up, i'll be glad if it doesn't D:

I just told you how xD By looking at your advantage of legitimacy. The Scottish Independent Referendum arguably is a one-off situation and is not a strong argument for 'this is how referendum will go' because there were a lot of variables involved - lowering the age to 16. People will get fatigued from having so many referendums that they won't bother turning out to vote therefore making the decision or referendum illegitimate such as the 1998 London Mayor Referendum.
since we only need to answer two questions tomorrow, do you think i would be limiting myself if I only studied two topics from unit 1?
Original post by Nel97
I just told you how xD By looking at your advantage of legitimacy. The Scottish Independent Referendum arguably is a one-off situation and is not a strong argument for 'this is how referendum will go' because there were a lot of variables involved - lowering the age to 16. People will get fatigued from having so many referendums that they won't bother turning out to vote therefore making the decision or referendum illegitimate such as the 1998 London Mayor Referendum.

Ohhhhh, I totally get you now! Thank you for explaining =)
Original post by mal100
since we only need to answer two questions tomorrow, do you think i would be limiting myself if I only studied two topics from unit 1?

No, since that is what a lot of people are doing- just make sure you know them so much that you can say them in your sleep. Loool- I'm doing democracy and parties.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending