The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any tips on how to know the skewness of the data? I always get them mixed up! Thanks :smile:
Reply 81
Ugh i hate this module so much. Bores me to death
Original post by megan-garner6
Does anyone have any tips on how to know the skewness of the data? I always get them mixed up! Thanks :smile:

Just remember, left = positive, right = negative :rofl:

If you look at page 68 of the textbook, you will see why.

For the graphs, the positive skew is the one with most of the data on the left.

For the inequalitie with mode, median and mean, if all of the arrows are pointing to the left (mode<median<mean) then it is positive.

On the box plot, if the median is closer to Q1 than Q3 (i.e to the left) then it is positive.

Then the last one.. :dontknow: positive number means positive skew, I guess.
Original post by SeanFM
Just remember, left = positive, right = negative :rofl:

If you look at page 68 of the textbook, you will see why.

For the graphs, the positive skew is the one with most of the data on the left.

For the inequalitie with mode, median and mean, if all of the arrows are pointing to the left (mode<median<mean) then it is positive.

On the box plot, if the median is closer to Q1 than Q3 (i.e to the left) then it is positive.

Then the last one.. :dontknow: positive number means positive skew, I guess.

Ah okay thank you very much!!
Original post by imran_
been doing past papes and getting low A's. I hate this module im resitting this also, just need a B/c to overall an A for AS maths

Good luck!! :smile:
Do u think 5 papers is enough to do well in this module?
Original post by ryandaniels2015

Lol unless ur really confident
I think you should do as many possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryandaniels2015

Do 1-2 and find out. If you ace them then 5 is probably enough. But the more, the betetr. Maybe some solomon chucked in too.
Reply 88
havent revised for a solid week and never done s1
think ill get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by TS21
havent revised for a solid week and never done s1
think ill get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still can if you revise the entire book in 3-5 days and then start doing past papers and mainly questions by topic.
Keep practising the papers and with hard work you can get an A. :smile:
Original post by Bloom77
Yep :smile: and about Q44, I've seen the sign for it, I don't think your supposed to know it tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

care to explain qn 48?
Reply 91
Original post by tazza ma razza
care to explain qn 48?

can you post the question
Original post by candol
can you post the question

oh yh that'd be useful :wink: lol gimme a sec and check this post once i have added the spoiler thing

EDIT:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 93
I haven't started revising for S1 yet cause I've had sciences, I have 5 days. Do you think that'll be enough to cover all S1 and hopefully achieve an A?
Original post by sgill23
I haven't started revising for S1 yet cause I've had sciences, I have 5 days. Do you think that'll be enough to cover all S1 and hopefully achieve an A?

Yes, as long as you do those days wisely.

Work through the textbook for the first 2/3 days, practice loads of questions. Move on to past papers the next day, plus solomon papers to fill up your time.
Reply 95
oh yh that'd be useful :wink: lol gimme a sec and check this post once i have added the spoiler thing

EDIT:

Spoiler

am struggling with the format for intersection,
will have to send tonight
Reply 96
will I be better of by just doing edexcel papers rather than solomon and madasmaths papers?
Original post by imran_
will I be better of by just doing edexcel papers rather than solomon and madasmaths papers?

I'd do the practice papers and then one or two Solomon papers in the run up to the exam next week. Do the IAL papers as well.
That symbol just means subset. So if A is a subset of B, all of the elements in A are in B too. So A can be identical to B, or A has less elements than B, but all elements in A must be present in B. This can be shown in the venn diagram by drawing A inside of B.

I don't think you need to know this, but this was in IGCSE.
Reply 99
care to explain qn 48?
see attached

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending