The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Desouza123
We don't have to know the Chi-Squared test. It's not on the spec.

THANK YOU! It's just everyone has been talking about it and I have no idea whether it is coming up or not.
Original post by mm_7
no i meant once its has binded to the allosteric site of the enzyme does it ever 'unbind' or does it stay in the allosteric site permanently?

No, it can unbind from the allosteric site. However, because they are always present they prevent you from reaching Vmax, as there is a chance that at least one is currently bound to an enzyme (which is why the graph for non-competitive inhibition does not level off at the same point as the standard graph).
Original post by violavenisis
No, it can unbind from the allosteric site. However, because they are always present they prevent you from reaching Vmax, as there is a chance that at least one is currently bound to an enzyme (which is why the graph for non-competitive inhibition does not level off at the same point as the standard graph).

ohhh! thanks; that was soo much clearer!
Original post by mm_7
ohhh! thanks; that was soo much clearer!

No problem- just remember that you can get inhibitors that are irreversible (for example, organophosphates in insecticides/herbicides). Our spec doesn't really cover these in great detail, so usually assume that the inhibitor that they are talking about is reversible, unless stated otherwise.
Original post by violavenisis
No problem- just remember that you can get inhibitors that are irreversible (for example, organophosphates in insecticides/herbicides). Our spec doesn't really cover these in great detail, so usually assume that the inhibitor that they are talking about is reversible, unless stated otherwise.

oh, ok thanks!
anyone got a mark scheme for vbreadth paper?
does anyone have a list of all the PAGS that we need to know for this exam?and please could any of you link me any useful docs or resources with possible PAG questions and answers
does anyone know where i can find topic questions on fish and insect gas exchange
We don't have to know the Chi-Squared test. It's not on the spec.

Original post by adeninesbff
THANK YOU! It's just everyone has been talking about it and I have no idea whether it is coming up or not.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171693-specification-accredited-as-level-gce-biology-a-h020.pdf <= Is this the right spec?
On page 48 is says 'Learners may be tested on theirability to select and use:• the chi squared test to test(χ2) the significance of thedifference between observedand expected results the Student’s t-test• the Spearman’s rankcorrelation coefficient'

I'm a bit confused because we haven't even touched this formula for the whole year, so maybe it isn't required anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1049
has the secured specimen paper 2 been posted on this thread? if so which page?
Original post by Internets
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171693-specification-accredited-as-level-gce-biology-a-h020.pdf <= Is this the right spec?
On page 48 is says 'Learners may be tested on theirability to select and use:• the chi squared test to test(χ2) the significance of thedifference between observedand expected results the Student’s t-test• the Spearman’s rankcorrelation coefficient'

I'm a bit confused because we haven't even touched this formula for the whole year, so maybe it isn't required anymore.

I'm not too sure but the official textbook only has SD, Ttest and spearmans rank
In a matter of urgency, does anyone have the breadth or depth practice papers.......
Hi does anyone have any depth past papers?
I'm not too sure but the official textbook only has SD, Ttest and spearmans rank

That's so weird. It might be a good idea just to be safe a learn it. It won't take long and if it comes up, it could be worth like 3 marks.
so tomorrow is my last chance of getting a D RIP me
Anyone know what they think will come up in the depth exam tomorrow based on the first exam?
Reply 1056
We've been told that chi squared is needed and it does say it is required on the spec. But I just learnt it now for the first time and it doesn't take too long so I'd recommend learning it anyway.

Also, is the highest amount of marks for a single question 6 under the new spec?

Thanks!
I've completely failed every exam ive taken and im panicking so so so much for tomorrow oh my god
Original post by Ozil5
We've been told that chi squared is needed and it does say it is required on the spec. But I just learnt it now for the first time and it doesn't take too long so I'd recommend learning it anyway.

Also, is the highest amount of marks for a single question 6 under the new spec?

Thanks!

Thanks but what on earth is chi squared? googled and still dont get it..
Reply 1059
What came up on breadth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending