The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oiseaux
What's the difference between reductionism and determinism?

Reductionism states that the theory takes a complex behaviour and narrows it down to just one explanations
Eg for cognitive you could say that it ignored biological factors such as genetics (use study to support the role of genetics)

Determinism states that we have no control over the behaviour, lack of free will
Eg for the biological approach, the behaviour is explained by genetics and suggests that the individual has no control over the behaviour
Original post by Fleming1928
For the breakdown of relationships, could we get away with only writing about Duck's 3 stages?
The other theory we learned about was the Social Exchange theory, and I only really know how to use that for maintenance.

Not really, also ducks model is 4 stages?? You have to mention or make reference to Lees 6 stage model as that was a massive theory alongside ducks both are always used in conjunction when talking about that.

Social exchange theory is onl for maintenance doesnt explain the breakdown so dont think you can actually use that.
hey,
The determinist approach proposes that all behavior is caused by preceding factors and is thus predictable and reductionism is the belief that human behavior can be explained by breaking it down into smaller component parts.

Reductionists say that the best way to understand why we behave as we do is to look closely at the very simplest parts that make up our systems, and use the simplest explanations to understand how they work.

So determinism is WHY the behaviour happens - it is due to past experience as opposed to free will, and reductionsm is looking at explaining WHAT is happening in the simplest way :smile:
Reductionism states that the theory takes a complex behaviour and narrows it down to just one explanations
Eg for cognitive you could say that it ignored biological factors such as genetics (use study to support the role of genetics)

This isnt right and examiners have been making an issue regarding reductionism, it can only be used when talking about biological factors so for your example about cognitive the term used is limited.
Original post by bullseye1
Yeah you can I think, say it reduces something down to purely psychological processes and ignores the role of biology, genes, hormones or whatever.

Nope examiners have stated that this is wrong and reductionism should only be used when talking about bio factors everything else you have to use the term limited.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Not really, also ducks model is 4 stages?? You have to mention or make reference to Lees 6 stage model as that was a massive theory alongside ducks both are always used in conjunction when talking about that.

Social exchange theory is onl for maintenance doesnt explain the breakdown so dont think you can actually use that.

We only learnt Duck's 3 stage model, if it's 4 stages then we only learnt 3 ( lack of skills, maintenance difficulties, lack of stimulation). Alongside that our teacher told us to use SET and apply it to breakdown, but never really went over it.

We didn't learn anything else (not even Lees 6 stage model). So I'm wondering if the 3 stages are enough, I have plenty of A01 and plenty of A02, but do the examiners expect more than one explanation?
Original post by Nicobella12
Does anyone know if you can use reductionism when referring to cognitive essays?

No reductionism can only be used when talking about bio factors as examiners have stressed anything else isnt correct, for others you have to use the term limited.
[]Reductionism states that the theory takes a complex behaviour and narrows it down to just one explanations

This isnt right and examiners have been making an issue regarding reductionism, it can only be used when talking about biological factors so for your example about cognitive the term used is limited.

Now you're making me worried that everything my teacher taught us is wrong .. our teacher told us to use reductionism for every essay as it's the easiest
(edited 7 years ago)
We only learnt Duck's 3 stage model, if it's 4 stages then we only learnt 3 ( lack of skills, maintenance difficulties, lack of stimulation). Alongside that our teacher told us to use SET and apply it to breakdown, but never really went over it.

We didn't learn anything else (not even Lees 6 stage model). So I'm wondering if the 3 stages are enough, I have plenty of A01 and plenty of A02, but do the examiners expect more than one explanation?

Ive never heard of the 3 parts youve listed? But Duck and Lee always go hand in hand and if its only 3 parts i would imagine it isnt enough. SET doesnt really explain breakdown thats for maintenance as the breakdown is more of a process and stages occuring SET explains that when were no longer in profit use comparison elvels etc rewards and costs You could use it but doubt it would be the best explanation.
Reply 2429
For the breakdown of relationships, could we get away with only writing about Duck's 3 stages?
The other theory we learned about was the Social Exchange theory, and I only really know how to use that for maintenance.

Use Rollie and Ducks six stage model and Ducks three explanations for relationship breakdown.
Hey, I had a question about the technique you guys use, as there are three sections, and some we are bound to be better and more comfortable and dare I say find easier than other topics we have to do - Do you start with your strongest essay or the weakest? I don't know whether to start strong, get everything I know written out, or to get the 'nasty' ones out the way and finish on a strong note? Thanks!
Now you're making me worried that everything my teacher taught us is wrong .. our teacher told us to use reductionism for every essay as it's the easiest

No this is wrong, examiners have stated theyve been frustrated and annoye when reductionism is being used wrong and should only be used for biological theories. Anything else its limited.

If you look on the examiner reports theyve stated this. I wasnt aware aswell as i was taugh the something but someone mentioned it and we looked and all agreed.
Original post by Gemma1896
hey,
The determinist approach proposes that all behavior is caused by preceding factors and is thus predictable and reductionism is the belief that human behavior can be explained by breaking it down into smaller component parts.

Reductionists say that the best way to understand why we behave as we do is to look closely at the very simplest parts that make up our systems, and use the simplest explanations to understand how they work.

So determinism is WHY the behaviour happens - it is due to past experience as opposed to free will, and reductionsm is looking at explaining WHAT is happening in the simplest way :smile:

Also reductionism can only be used for biological theories anything else as stated by aqa and examiners is wrong.
Also reductionism can only be used for biological theories anything else as stated by aqa and examiners is wrong.

Just checked the examiners comments! Thanks!
Original post by Gemma1896
Hey, I had a question about the technique you guys use, as there are three sections, and some we are bound to be better and more comfortable and dare I say find easier than other topics we have to do - Do you start with your strongest essay or the weakest? I don't know whether to start strong, get everything I know written out, or to get the 'nasty' ones out the way and finish on a strong note? Thanks!

I did the smallest section first to have mindset that atleast ive finished one, so far ive finsihed two sections and im going to go over the 2 sections again and make sure ive memrorized eveything correctly.
I did the smallest section first to have mindset that atleast ive finished one, so far ive finsihed two sections and im going to go over the 2 sections again and make sure ive memrorized eveything correctly.

Is that the order you will do it on Wednesday too?
No this is wrong, examiners have stated theyve been frustrated and annoye when reductionism is being used wrong and should only be used for biological theories. Anything else its limited.

If you look on the examiner reports theyve stated this. I wasnt aware aswell as i was taugh the something but someone mentioned it and we looked and all agreed.

Apparently for non-biological we can say that it's limited and it still counts as ida?
No reductionism can only be used when talking about bio factors as examiners have stressed anything else isnt correct, for others you have to use the term limited.

Although reductionism is particularly easily applied in biological theories, it is a broad idea and can be applied to a lot of topics. Examiners were just concerned that people were throwing reductionism in to everything and not explaining it properly as teachers were saying you could apply the idea everywhere without needing to explain why it is reductionist.
can someone tell me what loopa predicted for aggression, as I don't have facebook??
Original post by bluefire66
can someone tell me what loopa predicted for aggression, as I don't have facebook??

infidelity/jealousy, group displays, genetic. neural/hormonal

Latest

Trending

Trending