The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4145477
Here's the thread for unit 2 for those who are doing it ☺️
(edited 7 years ago)
For the 25 markers I did democracy and elections.

How does devolution and EU affect representative democracy?

1) Sovereignty and power dispersed from Westminster, leading to democratic deficit in the case of the EU, as they may not have our best interests in mind.
2) Westminster MPs are less accountable, as they cannot control EU.
3) More representative and pluralist democracy as people represented regionally, nationally and internationally, but said MEPs are ineffective.

Assess the merits of election systems used in the UK?

1) FPTP
2) Regional List
3) AMS

I listed all 6 in my intro but only spoke about 3, concluding that some are more suited to different elections than others.

Can you guys tell me what you think of this? Need some reassurance lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1502
Original post by SlimShady96

1) Sovereignty and power dispersed from Westminster, leading to democratic deficit in the case of the EU, as they may not have our best interests in mind.
3) More representative and pluralist democracy as people represented regionally, nationally and internationally, but said MEPs are ineffective.

1) FPTP
2) Regional List
3) AMS

I listed all 6 in my intro but only spoke about 3, concluding that some are more suited to different elections than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its done
move on to unit 2
Original post by Pato1
can you use the dictionary in word

Nope
guys I was talking about the eu referendum and how it limited representative democracy because it was direct democracy , but I think that it wasn't what it was asking me , so would I literally get no marks
Original post by chaz100
I thought the 10 markers were alright.

For the democracy one, I just put:
- compulsory voting would increase turnouts to make the government more legitimate, like in Australia they had a 93% turnout from it and ours is only 66%
- voting could be regarded as a civic duty, like jury duty, and thus made compulsory
- compulsory voting would encourage participation from groups like under 24 year olds, who don't normally vote, therefore making the government more representative of society

But, I found the pressure groups one really hard, I said:
- Being an outsider could lead groups to resort to illegal action
- Groups that lack financial power may resort to illegal action in order to gain publicity
- But then I couldn't really think of a third one... So I put, groups may grow frustrated with the government, and therefore resort to illegal action, and used the example of Fathers4Justice plotting to kidnap Blair's son in 2006

How do you think I did?

That all looks good to me.

see for the first one I put:
1. Increase turnouts and political participation like you did, like Australia etc etc
2. Force governments to produce manifestos that are fully representative of the whole society, advancing pluralist democracy as they are forced to represent those who may not normally vote (youth etc)
3. Can't remember the third one i put

and for pressure groups:
1. To gain media attention in attempt to gain a wider following e.g Greenpeace
2. To gain government attention if they're an outsider and cannot regularly consult government officials e.g Animal Liberation Front
3. If the group only has a short time to opperate in, for example with Stop The War in 2003 on Iraq. They had to resort to illegal action because there was not enough time for them to start a successful legal campaign before the war had begun.
Original post by Ryhimabegum
I answered that question but I argued yes they are still traditional because of the rise of corbynism. I gave 3 arguments for and 2 against

I didnt answer that question but my teacher predicted it spot on and she said to talk about corbynism but also how there is a distinct party split

1) FPTP
2) Regional List
3) AMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks good,
I did not do the electoral systems one but I did do the democracy one. I put:
1. Numerically more representatives: MEPs London Mayor, MPs, Members of devolved powers etc.
2. There is an uneven distribution of power amongst devolved bodies, especially wales and N. Ireland thus representative democracy is uneven and unfair.
3. We have very little power in the European Parliament, only 10% of its members are form Britain and thus representative democracy is not heavily affected but if it is, it has been negative if anything.
4. Low turnouts for these devolved powers question the legitimacy of those representatives. Thus representative democracy has not been affected that much because they aren't actually representative of society.

1) FPTP
2) Regional List
3) AMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks good,
I did not do the electoral systems one but I did do the democracy one. I put:
1. Numerically more representatives: MEPs London Mayor, MPs, Members of devolved powers etc.
2. There is an uneven distribution of power amongst devolved bodies, especially wales and N. Ireland thus representative democracy is uneven and unfair. Thus representation has been massively affected in a negative light
VS
3. We have very little power in the European Parliament, only 10% of its members are form Britain and thus representative democracy is not heavily affected but if it is, it has been negative if anything.
4. Low turnouts for these devolved powers question the legitimacy of those representatives. Thus representative democracy has not been affected that much because they aren't actually representative of society.
For the Asses the merits of election systems in the UK i listed all 6 in small paragraphs and gave their pros, i only gave cons in a few.

for the EU democracy question i spoke about pooled sovereignty and i cant remember what else, would i still get marks for the Asses the merits question i assumed they didnt really want to hear the cons so i just put that in as evaluation in some sections?@
Original post by markhama
For the Asses the merits of election systems in the UK i listed all 6 in small paragraphs and gave their pros, i only gave cons in a few.

for the EU democracy question i spoke about pooled sovereignty and i cant remember what else, would i still get marks for the Asses the merits question i assumed they didnt really want to hear the cons so i just put that in as evaluation in some sections?@
Yeah it's a tricky question, they make you feel like you only need to talk about the pros, but you need analysis/evaluation in 25 markers and in this case it is the negatives of the electoral system.

So for FPTP I put that it leads to strong and stable government as it results in a clear winner, however some have criticised it as a majority can be too powerful like in Blairs case which makes it less democratic.
(edited 7 years ago)
for the democracy question one could also talk about the different electoral systems used in both the EU elections and devolved nations? right?
Original post by toniyasminn
for the democracy question one could also talk about the different electoral systems used in both the EU elections and devolved nations? right?

Yes you can, thats actually a very good point (how MEPs are elected using proportional representation) which i forgot to make. I didnt have time to put everything down. I Made 5 points I think
(edited 7 years ago)
An encouragement to those who need it after yesterdays (pretty strange I think is the best description) exam:

You can still afford to drop 22 Marks and STILL get an A in this exam. Last year the grade boundaries were 58/80. That means that even if they DON'T bring down the grade boundaries, there is still a fantastic opportunity to score highly. So don't stress and just bang out Thursday. :smile:
For the Democracy 25 marker I wrote about: - HRA brings the ECHR to UK courts = civil liberties are protected
- MEPs are elected by the people to represent them in European Parliament
- Devolved powers = those regions have more autonomous control (I also made up an example about how Scottish Parliament backed the independence for Scotland referendum)

Hinder representative democracy:
- HRA is not entrenched and it's argued to be a 'criminal's charter' (- I know this sounds like an argument for the judiciary topic but the question caught me off so I just wrote whatever I could think of)
- Turnout for MEP elections is low
- Due to recent legislation Scottish MPs won't be able to vote in English laws
- Parliamentary sovereignty is strained due to EU Doctrine of Supremacy (in the exam I wrote 'Convention of Supremacy' :angry:)

I think the structure for my answer was all over the place - my paragraphs went:
FOR
FOR
AGAINST
AGAINST
FOR
AGAINST

Roughly how many marks do you think I might get for this 25 marker based on my arguments and the structure? I also tried to incorporate examples in each paragraph by the way.
Guys if I get a C in unit 1 how many marks wuld i need to get in unit 2 to balance to a B or A?
Original post by imabloodymess101
Guys if I get a C in unit 1 how many marks wuld i need to get in unit 2 to balance to a B or A?

You'd have to get almost 100% to get an a probably, b probably high b or an a but I wouldn't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

Would anyone be able to list all of the questions that were in the exam?

Many Thanks.
Original post by DougsJB
That all looks good to me.

see for the first one I put:
1. Increase turnouts and political participation like you did, like Australia etc etc
2. Force governments to produce manifestos that are fully representative of the whole society, advancing pluralist democracy as they are forced to represent those who may not normally vote (youth etc)
3. Can't remember the third one i put

and for pressure groups:
1. To gain media attention in attempt to gain a wider following e.g Greenpeace
2. To gain government attention if they're an outsider and cannot regularly consult government officials e.g Animal Liberation Front
3. If the group only has a short time to opperate in, for example with Stop The War in 2003 on Iraq. They had to resort to illegal action because there was not enough time for them to start a successful legal campaign before the war had begun.

Sounds good bro, reckon that's a solid 20/20, what did you put in the 25 markers and 5 markers? Just out of interest.
25 marker for unit 1 democracy
can u say that.

For - EU memebership has seen soverigntiy lost to the EU meaning English MPS have restricted say on some issues such as prisoners rights.
But- It has little affect as inevatble we can leave the EU and represnetaives can regain total control.

For- Devoultion has seen the discovery of Socitsh Parliemnt ect and powers have been lost to places such as Scotland especially after the referendum, meaning that now English MPS cant fufil there role in Scottish law such as the countries national speed limit.
But- These powers can be brought back to the country- cant really remember what elese I said for this point tbh.

Is any of this right ?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending