The Student Room Group

2nd Degree Dentistry SAAS?

Hello,
I'm just about to graduate from a 4 year BSc (Hons) in Scotland and I've applied and had offers for Dentistry starting Sept 2016. I am probably going to firm Aberdeen as it is a graduate entry 4 year course.
I'm aware that I would be eligible for my fees to be paid by the NHS as well as a Bursary for all four years. However the bursary won't cover all my living costs, it won't even cover rent.
Am I eligible to apply for a second student loan from SAAS? If not, where can I apply for a loan so I can actually live during the degree?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by CPGav
Hello,
I'm just about to graduate from a 4 year BSc (Hons) in Scotland and I've applied and had offers for Dentistry starting Sept 2016. I am probably going to firm Aberdeen as it is a graduate entry 4 year course.
I'm aware that I would be eligible for my fees to be paid by the NHS as well as a Bursary for all four years. However the bursary won't cover all my living costs, it won't even cover rent.
Am I eligible to apply for a second student loan from SAAS? If not, where can I apply for a loan so I can actually live during the degree?
Thanks

Hey sorry this not answering your question but as you are studying dentistry I was hoping you could offer me some advice: I am in s6 and I'm really keen on studying dentistry at Glasgow uni, however I never took higher maths in s5, instead I'm taking it this year , alongside AH biolgy and AH chemistry, does this put me at a major disadvantage for receiving an offer? I phoned up and the woman said it did not but i'm still not convinced as in my mind i believe they are much more likely to take someone who did higher maths in s5, rather than someone who did it in s6. Additionally i was looking at Dundee unis entry requirements for dentistry and they made no mention of needing higher maths! Does this mean higher maths is not needed or do they just assume you will do/have higher maths? I want nothing more than to not do higher maths as i am so terrible at it and it really stresses me out, to the point were i break down in tears, so dropping the subject would be ideal but again this is probably putting me at a huge disadvantage right? I would greatly appreciate all the help/advice/information i can get, thank you.
Reply 2
Original post by aJ_99
Hey sorry this not answering your question but as you are studying dentistry I was hoping you could offer me some advice: I am in s6 and I'm really keen on studying dentistry at Glasgow uni, however I never took higher maths in s5, instead I'm taking it this year , alongside AH biolgy and AH chemistry, does this put me at a major disadvantage for receiving an offer? I phoned up and the woman said it did not but i'm still not convinced as in my mind i believe they are much more likely to take someone who did higher maths in s5, rather than someone who did it in s6. Additionally i was looking at Dundee unis entry requirements for dentistry and they made no mention of needing higher maths! Does this mean higher maths is not needed or do they just assume you will do/have higher maths? I want nothing more than to not do higher maths as i am so terrible at it and it really stresses me out, to the point were i break down in tears, so dropping the subject would be ideal but again this is probably putting me at a huge disadvantage right? I would greatly appreciate all the help/advice/information i can get, thank you.

Hey! I think you should be fine as long as you get at least AAAAB! They usually just ask for something like Chemistry and one other science which includes biology, physics or maths! And your conditions will likely be based on your advanced higher/higher in s6 anyway so just chill. Good luck! And if it doesn't work out, don't lose hope! You can always apply as a graduate from another degree.
Reply 3
Original post by CPGav
Hey! I think you should be fine as long as you get at least AAAAB! They usually just ask for something like Chemistry and one other science which includes biology, physics or maths! And your conditions will likely be based on your advanced higher/higher in s6 anyway so just chill. Good luck! And if it doesn't work out, don't lose hope! You can always apply as a graduate from another degree.

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it!
Reply 4
Original post by CPGav

Also I could potentially apply as a graduate, but that would an extra set of exams and another dissertation to do, and if I'm honest I don't know if I'm up for that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending