The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde enquiry

Hello, I am a student who is currently 2nd year at another university. However, I plan to switch universities and go to Strathclyde university for computer science 2nd year (2024-2025). However, I do have my highers I have taken up advanced higher maths and computing privately, would I still be considered or not. Also, since I’m a private candidate I have no grade predictions as I’m self teaching would i still be able to get an offer if I am considered.
(edited 5 months ago)
I have moved this to the University of Strathclyde forum for you :smile:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
I would recommend contacting SAAS or the relevant Student Finance branch for RUK to look into the finance side of things to ensure you will be funded for the full course. Going from second year in one uni to second year in another may present challenges in terms of funding entitlements. Also on a logistical level, it's really not advisable normally to plan to do external qualifications while at uni. As you have absolutely no mechanism to resolve any exam clashes and so if you have one then you are missing one exam or another which will invariably lead to a fail in that module/qualification.

In terms of admissions realistically I would suggest you contact Strathclyde first directly to find out what their expectations would be. Depending on your current degree subject they may accept that in lieu of specific advanced highers for example. They may or may not accept students from other degrees for the advanced entry as well. In terms of predicted grades etc, assuming they do accept people from this situation and it's not a financial impossibility and you don't have any exam clashes making it a moot point, they may well just consider your application on its merits and make you a standard conditional offer and you would need to achieve that. This is something you can ask them when you contact them as above though.

However I think overall this is a challenging option and may not be practical in many situations. Also depending on what your longer term goals are, may be wholly unnecessary - if for example your goal is to work in the computing sector and gain a relevant degree to do so, a degree apprenticeship is invariably your best option as that's most directly aligned with what the sector is seeking in terms of qualifications and experience. It also sidesteps a lot of the issues you face applying to a degree elsewhere in this situation (e.g. funding, admissions requirements, etc). You may also find that your current degree is a suitable first course and you could well either go directly into such roles or do a more specifically computing focused masters degree, depending on your current subject.
Thanks @CamembertPaws :smile:

Original post by SA004
Hello, I am a student who is currently 2nd year at another university. However, I plan to switch universities and go to Strathclyde university for computer science 2nd year (2024-2025). However, I do have my highers I have taken up advanced higher maths and computing privately, would I still be considered or not. Also, since I’m a private candidate I have no grade predictions as I’m self teaching would i still be able to get an offer if I am considered.

@SA004
There's lots of different elements to take in to account when considering transfers. I'd recommend that you get in touch with the Computer Science admissions team directly to ask about this.
In the email, you should include:
- your previous study (higher subjects and grades achieved)
- your current study (which university and degree you are undertaking so we can compare your Year 1 curriculum to ours)
- details of the exams you are self studying.

As mentioned above, we may prioritise your current Year 1 University level study over any additional school qualifications. We only consider Highers over 2 sittings (normally S5 and S6) therefore we likely wouldn't be considering any extra Highers to contribute towards the conditions of your offer. Transferring isn't always an option and not something we'd advise students to rely on being able to do, so this is something else to check directly with the admissions team.

Please email [email protected] with the above info and they'll be able to provide more info.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Thanks @CamembertPaws :smile:

@SA004
There's lots of different elements to take in to account when considering transfers. I'd recommend that you get in touch with the Computer Science admissions team directly to ask about this.
In the email, you should include:
- your previous study (higher subjects and grades achieved)
- your current study (which university and degree you are undertaking so we can compare your Year 1 curriculum to ours)
- details of the exams you are self studying.

As mentioned above, we may prioritise your current Year 1 University level study over any additional school qualifications. We only consider Highers over 2 sittings (normally S5 and S6) therefore we likely wouldn't be considering any extra Highers to contribute towards the conditions of your offer. Transferring isn't always an option and not something we'd advise students to rely on being able to do, so this is something else to check directly with the admissions team.

Please email [email protected] with the above info and they'll be able to provide more info.

Hi I’m doing a course switch from civil to computer science . So, that’s why I picked up the advanced highers and it would be my first sittings.
Original post by SA004
Hi I’m doing a course switch from civil to computer science . So, that’s why I picked up the advanced highers and it would be my first sittings.

Hi @SA004 while it's the first sittings of those subjects, if you've done two sittings of other highers already in S5 and S6 then we're likely to focus on those. Further study is good to show you've challenged yourself but generally isn't included in the actual grade requirements if you've already sat two rounds of highers at school.

Did you email the admissions team? They'll be best to advise if you provide them the info above :smile:

Reply 6
Yes, I’ve emailed them they said I should mention my module marks from last year and should take the remaining classes required for 2nd year entry
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @SA004 while it's the first sittings of those subjects, if you've done two sittings of other highers already in S5 and S6 then we're likely to focus on those. Further study is good to show you've challenged yourself but generally isn't included in the actual grade requirements if you've already sat two rounds of highers at school.

Did you email the admissions team? They'll be best to advise if you provide them the info above :smile:

for 2nd sitting does it have to be new highers or advanced highers only meaning that resits arents considered for 2nd sitting format
Original post by Anonymous
for 2nd sitting does it have to be new highers or advanced highers only meaning that resits arents considered for 2nd sitting format

Hello! If you let me know which subjects and grades you have achieved I can try to give more specific advise :smile: If you could let me know which course you're applying to as well that would be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending