The Student Room Group

Brain and drugs essay help

Hi guys,

I'm in my AS year and I'm doing an essay on painkillers and the effect they have on the brain. I've realised that this is a bit of a difficult topic to do it on especially considering that i've only got 1500 words.

Has anyone got suggestions on something medicine related, ideally based on the brain but not too complicated on the brain?
Long-term opiate use is something very topical.
Original post by Loyale
Hi guys,

I'm in my AS year and I'm doing an essay on painkillers and the effect they have on the brain. I've realised that this is a bit of a difficult topic to do it on especially considering that i've only got 1500 words.

Has anyone got suggestions on something medicine related, ideally based on the brain but not too complicated on the brain?

As mentioned above, you can talk a lot about opioids: from how they work to reduce pain, to the mechanisms behind their side effects, leading on to opioid dependence.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
So are concepts and mechanisms too difficult to grasp in terms of complexity?
But hey, Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Loyale
So are concepts and mechanisms too difficult to grasp in terms of complexity?
But hey, Thanks! :smile:

No problems :smile:

It depends - have you covered the basics of how action potentials are generated in neurons and how they're transmitted between neurons (basic neurophysiology)?

If not, I would watch YouTube videos (Khanacademy and Handwritten Tutorials are pretty good channels) that give you a basic insight into electrical and chemical messages are transmitted.
Reply 5
Original post by thegodofgod
No problems :smile:

It depends - have you covered the basics of how action potentials are generated in neurons and how they're transmitted between neurons (basic neurophysiology)?

If not, I would watch YouTube videos (Khanacademy and Handwritten Tutorials are pretty good channels) that give you a basic insight into electrical and chemical messages are transmitted.

I haven't, but will do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending