The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Placements for Health & social care - aspiring midwife

I am having a nightmare! I'm on a health and social care level 3 national diploma course, i need to have 100 hours of relevant experience for uni entry requirements AND to pass my course. I can't find any hospitals, clinics or GP surgeries that give midwifery placements, can anyone help? HOW do people get into uni to do midwifery if no where gives placements ? It's the entry requirements?! WTH? please someone help !
Original post by steffparker0506
I am having a nightmare! I'm on a health and social care level 3 national diploma course, i need to have 100 hours of relevant experience for uni entry requirements AND to pass my course. I can't find any hospitals, clinics or GP surgeries that give midwifery placements, can anyone help? HOW do people get into uni to do midwifery if no where gives placements ? It's the entry requirements?! WTH? please someone help !

Try anything that involves delivering care, admissions tutors know how difficult it is to get experience and it shows an understanding of the role of a midwife if you apply learning from another area of care to that of a midwife. See if there's any local sure start groups (if any still exist) that you could help out at, mother and baby groups, places that care is delivered to adults (nursing or care homes) and so on. Have you asked where you're studying if they offer any help with finding places for experience? Do you have to do placements as part of your course?
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Yes, I have spoken to my college they say that in the second year (which I'm starting in September) you HAVE to find your own placement. I have done 100 hours of placement in a care home in the first year, but for uni entry requirements it states it has to be 20 days of experience relevant to midwifery, will baby groups & anti natal count? I'm just a bit confused as to where I should turn I feel like I've got a dead end! By the way thanks for your reply X
[QUOTE=moonkatt;65743855]Try anything that involves delivering care, admissions tutors know how difficult it is to get experience and it shows an understanding of the role of a midwife if you apply learning from another area of care to that of a midwife. See if there's any local sure start groups (if any still exist) that you could help out at, mother and baby groups, places that care is delivered to adults (nursing or care homes) and so on. Have you asked where you're studying if they offer any help with finding places for experience? Do you have to do placements as part of your course?

Also just to clarify, I have to do 100 hours of experiance for my current course, and 20 days of experiance for midwifery uni course X
Original post by moonkatt
Try anything that involves delivering care, admissions tutors know how difficult it is to get experience and it shows an understanding of the role of a midwife if you apply learning from another area of care to that of a midwife. See if there's any local sure start groups (if any still exist) that you could help out at, mother and baby groups, places that care is delivered to adults (nursing or care homes) and so on. Have you asked where you're studying if they offer any help with finding places for experience? Do you have to do placements as part of your course?

Yes, I have spoken to my college they say that in the second year (which I'm starting in September) you HAVE to find your own placement. I have done 100 hours of placement in a care home in the first year, but for uni entry requirements it states it has to be 20 days of experience relevant to midwifery, will baby groups & anti natal count? I'm just a bit confused as to where I should turn I feel like I've got a dead end! By the way thanks for your reply X
Original post by steffparker0506

Speak to the universities you're applying to, but you should be able to use the 100 hours you have towards this. Remember, a large chunk of the role of a midwife is caring for adult women in pregnancy, if you've had experience caring for adults you can apply what you've done to the role of a midwife. Speak to wherever you're looking to apply, they'll be able to help you out. Also have a look in the nursing and midwifery su forum on here, there's quite a few threads about applications and ideas for getting experience there :smile:
Original post by moonkatt
Speak to the universities you're applying to, but you should be able to use the 100 hours you have towards this. Remember, a large chunk of the role of a midwife is caring for adult women in pregnancy, if you've had experience caring for adults you can apply what you've done to the role of a midwife. Speak to wherever you're looking to apply, they'll be able to help you out. Also have a look in the nursing and midwifery su forum on here, there's quite a few threads about applications and ideas for getting experience there :smile:

Thank you! :h:
I got a placement in a nursery ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I need help Hopefully, i am posting this in the right place, but, if not, please could someone shift this to the right place.

Basically, i am an 18-year-old female at college doing the 90 credit diploma BTEC in Health and social care in the hope of becoming a pediatric nurse. However, i feel like i have made the wrong choice and no longer have the interest to continue next year to start the Extended diploma.

My decision to do the BTEC where based on my GCSE'S(4 C grades and two level 2 BTEC'S) and influences from people around me. I feel like i should have done A levels (sociology, religious studies and health and social care) at sixthform when i had the chance because most universities acknowledge/ accept them rather than the BTEC in health and social care. Also, my teachers who are teaching me the BTEC are pretty rubbish and my class as a whole are soooo slow so, sometimes we don't get to cover the distinction criterias before the deadlines.

Its just so frustrating because i know i can achieve the distinctions however, inappropriate teaching and the stupid new BTEC rule(Merit and distinctions submissions allowed once) is just pulling me down.

I don't know what i should do? should i do A levels at a further education college( i found one) or continue my health and social care BTEC to do the extended diploma? The thing is, i sort of lost passion for continuing my BTEC because it seems overwhelming especially knowing i will have the same teachers for the next academic year. I have heard A levels are hard and i have even lost passion for them anyway and its the same with my health and social care BTEC. I just Hate it right now although, i did enjoy it at the beginning. I just really want to go university and be that child nurse and don't know where to go from here. If anyone has some advice please comment ����0�0lS
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending