The Student Room Group

Unsure on what degree I should choose

Hi guys,
with University around the corner, I'm kinda confunsed on what I should study,
for the background I studied Biology, Chemistry and Maths but got E,U,U so my sixth form decided that I should change courses with me right now studying Health and Social care with a predidcted target degree of D*D*D- I was thinking of studying Radiography but the problem is, I am kinda worried about my health and if I will manage the long hours needed for Radiography which is why I think Law will be right for me, but I feel that Law is quite simplistic, My sixth form tutor has returned my application as for some of the universities I chose for Radiography ( Birmingham City and Leeds) require Applied Science to study, and have recommended that I study Cninical sicence or Biomed instead, any experiences on these healthcare degrees and the best option?
Thanks.
You think radiography has worse hours than law...?

In any event you need to check the entry criteria for whatever degrees you want to apply to and ensure that you will in fact meet those. Pay attention to the subject requirements as well as grade requirements.

Note healthcare professions degrees often require or expect you to have done work experience in a caring role (e.g. a care home/hospice if not a hospital or GP surgery). Do you meet any work experience requirements as well?
Reply 2
Original post by sameer5
Hi guys,
for the background I studied Biology, Chemistry and Maths but got E,U,U so my sixth form decided that I should change courses with me right now studying Health and Social care with a predidcted target degree of D*D*D- I was thinking of studying Radiography but the problem is, I am kinda worried about my health and if I will manage the long hours needed for Radiography which is why I think Law will be right for me, but I feel that Law is quite simplistic, My sixth form tutor has returned my application as for some of the universities I chose for Radiography ( Birmingham City and Leeds) require Applied Science to study, and have recommended that I study Cninical sicence or Biomed instead, any experiences on these healthcare degrees and the best option?
Thanks.

With radiography you'll be working up to 12 - 13 hours shifts when on placements and sometimes they work Nightshift and weekends depending on how the hospital trust you are under work there shift patterns for staff ( obviously A&E department will need access 24/7 to radiography so you might have to work.
Any nursing degrees will also be long hours working.

You can't pick a degree course because you want it easily than something else. You have to do the degree that you wish to do a career in.

Your health will be fine doing radiography so long as you notify your mentor/ supervisor on placement about any issues so that they can be prepared to help you if required to. They are usually good in helping people with health related issues. Remember that also occupational health will be there to support you as well throughout your radiography course. I certainly think that you'll find radiographic less worrying than attempting law course as you have to attend court cases etc.

Think about doing the radiographic course.

I agree with what the person said in reply 1 to you.

Registered midwife.
Original post by sameer5
Hi guys,
Thanks.

Other unis that will accept BTEC Health and Social Care for diagnostic radiography: Liverpool, Teeside, Bradford, Keele, Suffolk, AECC (there are probably others as I only checked a few). Unis who might consider your qualification so worth a call before applying: Salford, Cumbria, Herts, Plymouth.

The easiest way to search for healthcare courses is the NHS course finder:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder

If you want a 'better' shift pattern, consider Therapeutic Radiography instead (the course is also known as Radiotherapy & Oncology). Shifts are Monday to Friday between the hours of 8 and 6. There is the odd emergency case outside these hours or at weekends. Unis that offer this course: Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam, Herts, AECC, Cardiff, Suffolk, BCU, UWE, LSBU, City (London) and St George's (London). Do check the entry requirements if you are interested. Therapeutic Radiography is also less competitve than DR.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest