The Student Room Group

Is Midwifery really that difficult now?

Hello there! So let’s get straight to it. For the past 3 years, I’ve dreamt of being a midwife. Between 2019 2022, I served just over 100 women/birthing people as a birth and postnatal doula. I’ve done it all. Home births, c-sections, childbirth education, in-home support, hospital births, antenatal care, perinatal support, etc. I actually stopped in 2022 to get a corporate job and I think about it all the time. But I’m so scared because of all the negative things we hear about midwifery all the time. It’s what has stopped me from applying until last week. I got the interview today and I’m too scared to share friends and family because I’m so scared they’re going to tell me I’m making the worst decision of my life. So please be honest. Is it THAT bad being a midwife right now? Am I being silly for even applying? I have a mental health condition and wonder if that’s a reason why I shouldn’t do this. I’d be curious to know if despite it all, you enjoy being a midwife, and maybe any tips on surviving the course? And where can the role take you? Thank you. ♥️
Reply 1
Original post by Juneeericudorie
Hello there! So let’s get straight to it. For the past 3 years, I’ve dreamt of being a midwife. Between 2019 2022, I served just over 100 women/birthing people as a birth and postnatal doula. I’ve done it all. Home births, c-sections, childbirth education, in-home support, hospital births, antenatal care, perinatal support, etc. I actually stopped in 2022 to get a corporate job and I think about it all the time. But I’m so scared because of all the negative things we hear about midwifery all the time. It’s what has stopped me from applying until last week. I got the interview today and I’m too scared to share friends and family because I’m so scared they’re going to tell me I’m making the worst decision of my life. So please be honest. Is it THAT bad being a midwife right now? Am I being silly for even applying? I have a mental health condition and wonder if that’s a reason why I shouldn’t do this. I’d be curious to know if despite it all, you enjoy being a midwife, and maybe any tips on surviving the course? And where can the role take you? Thank you. ♥️

So you are a qualified midwife.
You'll have to go through the NMC registered again if successful with your job application before you can work as a registration midwife but you shouldn't have any problems with this.

Obviously what you are hearing about the issues with midwifing is all related to certain health board trusts in England.

You'll not be making a worse decision in your life as after all you did train for three years to become a midwife.
You experienced it all throughout your student days so you'll know what to expect from the job.

To be honest with you the only thing you'll be scared about is when you first start the job as you'll be on your own dealing with the birth and the health of a minimum of two people. Once you get over that part you'll be absolutely fine but really that you'll have support around you incase you need it from them as you'll have already experienced.

Don't feel silly about it as why have you wasted three years of your life at university of you not going to do the job 😔😔😔.

I actually love doing it as it brings joy of happiness to not only me but the new mothers and partners. Best job in the world I would say as you are doing a unique job.

The only thing I can see with you is your current mental health issues as obvious the NMC will have to decide whether you are capable of doing the job. I'm sure you'll be fine doing it as long as everything is under control.

Another thing is how much time will you be off work through it as your employer will look at it as well but I'm guessing that you had those issues during your time as a student midwife so therefore everything will be fine in my opinion but remember it is not upto me or yourself as the final decision sits with the NMC.

Depends on how far you want to climb the career ladder will definitely depends on where the role you are doing will go.
If you want to climb the career ladder then you'll get a opportunity to apply for a higher band point but gain yourself some more experience over the coming years and then decide if you want to apply for the next band up but it comes with lots and lots of more responsibilities.

A NHS Scotland registered midwife ( currently band 6 charge midwife)
Reply 2
Original post by Juneeericudorie

Firstly congratulations on getting an interview, midwifery is very competitive and clearly the lecturers saw something in your application that they liked.
I'm just coming to the end of my third year of my degree and start working as a midwife in October. The last 3 years have been the most challenging years of my life, some of that due to personal reasons some due to the course.
I have had experiences with great personal supervisors on placement and experiences with one's who make me wonder why they are even a midwife. I know other members of my cohort have had some very bad experiences but mostly we have had good experiences and the university has been supportive in changing supervisors for students when issues arise.
Midwifery is hard, NHS staff shortages can make giving exemplary care difficult as there is always a pressure to do more, see more women, move women out of the hospital quicker and spend less time seeing women postnatally at home. As you have previously worked as a doula you may find this change of priority quite jarring.
Our cohort started with 50 students and 36 are still on the course, it is a very tough 3 years with working/studying at least 40hrs a week (even in annual leave we have assignments to do, so these aren't really time off).
I have no regrets about doing my midwifery and like yourself the idea of doing it never went away.
As regards to your MH condition, get in contact with student services/occupational health early and ask for additional support, depending on what your condition is it could mean that the university don't expect you to work nights or give you extra time in exams or just give you a person that you can talk things over with if things get too much.
One other thing to bear in mind is that any hours missed in theory or placement need to be made up before the end of your course, for me this has meant working 48hrs a week in most of my 3rd year placements and annual leave.
It is a tough course and midwifery is tough when you graduate, but I wholly believe that it is a worthwhile profession and that it is getting better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending