The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Romanoff
I need like 200 ums in this exam to make up for how badly I messed up in psya3

#pray4me

SAME
HELP!!! im panicking

When you're answering statistical test questions how do you know which level of significance to choose? They usually give you a table and you have to find the critical value but first you need to decide if p<0.5 or p<0.10. The June 2014 paper said you could use either but according to the mark scheme of the 2012 exam it was only right if you had chosen the p<0.5 level and there was no reference to this in the stem? 😰😰😓
Reply 5502
Original post by 14grahamr
Can someone please tell be what a Type 1 and Type 2 error is in simplistic terms??

Type 1 - psychologist is too lenient and uses a significance around 10%, so more is left to chance - this means the null is rejected when actually it is true (by rejecting the null you're saying there is a difference but actually there isn't)

Type 2 - psychologist is being too strict in the significance level used i.e. only leaving 1% to chance and the null is accepted when but it should actually be rejected (there is a difference)

I have no idea if this helped at all lol hope it did a little
Reply 5503
Original post by SureyaWP
HELP!!! im panicking

When you're answering statistical test questions how do you know which level of significance to choose? They usually give you a table and you have to find the critical value but first you need to decide if p<0.5 or p<0.10. The June 2014 paper said you could use either but according to the mark scheme of the 2012 exam it was only right if you had chosen the p<0.5 level and there was no reference to this in the stem? 😰😰😓

You should always go with 0.05 unless you're told otherwise
HELP!!! im panicking

0.05 is always the standard as it means it's 95% significant, so always go for that. If there's a 0.01 also talk about that as it means it's 99% significant.
0.10 is only 90% significant so it means theres a 10% possibility that the results were due to chance, i.e. not very good for scientific studies, so dont talk about that
could we get a big question asking specifically for the effects of computers? Help 😓

Also is anyone else relying on loopa for media psychology?
HELP!!! im panicking

usually you use p<0.05! Only use >p0.01 if it specifies you to!
Original post by Dasaw
I need your help, when it comes to biological therapies for phobic disorders , i know drug therapy counts but do the individual drugs itself such as BZ and SSRI counted as two explanations?

i do ocd so im not sure if its the same, but im meant to know types of chemotherapy and types of psychosurgery so for example I have anti depressants and also explain tricyclics and then I have about capsulotomy's cingulotomys and transcranial magnetic stimulation
Original post by rosieschofield
0.05 is always the standard as it means it's 95% significant, so always go for that. If there's a 0.01 also talk about that as it means it's 99% significant.
0.10 is only 90% significant so it means theres a 10% possibility that the results were due to chance, i.e. not very good for scientific studies, so dont talk about that

Thank you so much!!! Lol cant believe i wrote 0.5 instead of 0.05 xx
could we get a big question asking specifically for the effects of computers? Help 😓

there was a 10 mark in June 11 so its a possibility
Reply 5510
You should always have a significance level of 0.05.
Reply 5511

Yes- upto 10 marks, although it's unlikely this year to appear.

Seperate from video games? I don't think so
Original post by Allibay
T1 - too cocky. They accept a relationship when there isn't one

T2 - too modest. They reject a relationship when there is one.

I prefer this one:

Start with the good.

Type 1 - False Positive
Type 2 - False Negative

Number 2s are always bad... lol
Thank you so much!!! Lol cant believe i wrote 0.5 instead of 0.05 xx

aha it's cool. Good luck for tomorrow! remember it's always 0.05 :biggrin:
Reply 5515
Anyone else majorly crammed for this exam?
Original post by tjhardy
in my notes it says that a type 1 error occurs when the null hypothesis is rejected but should be accepted, and a type 2 error occurs when the null hypothesis is accepted but should have been rejected? is this right or wrong!?

Think of it as being
Type 1 - over optimistic, we say the results are significant (null rejected) when we shouldnt due to use of 0.1
Type 2 - over pessimistic, we say the results arent significant (null accepted) when we should - due to use of 0.01
Both would be avoided with use of 0.05 significance

:smile:
By the way guys, make sure you don't make the mistake of saying p = <0.05 (less than 5% significance level) - which many of you have just done

it's: p = ≤0.05 (equal to or less than 5% significance level)

It probably shouldn't matter, but better safe than sorry.
12 hours till the exam...
Original post by Romanoff
By the way guys, make sure you don't make the mistake of saying p = <0.05 (less than 5% significance level) - which many of you have just done

it's: p = ≤0.05 (equal to or less than 5% significance level)

It probably shouldn't matter, but better safe than sorry.

ooh god yeah, thank you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending