Original post by qwerty123a
could someone please mark this essay for me:

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=157265

i will give a rep to anyone who marks it - im actually begging lol :frown:

a01- 8
a02- 12
Original post by sukhraj7
Purpose of peer review -
The aim of the peer review process is to act as a kind of quality control. It helps to ensure that any research paper published in a well-respected journal is of high quality and valid, and it can therefore be taken seriously by fellow researchers by lay people. Any research that is incorrect or of poor quality is weeded out. Only the best becomes public. Peer review has been used since the middle of the twentieth century and has now become the focal point to the way science is conducted. it is the way that new knowledge becomes validated

Strengths -
- Peer review is essential as without it readers of published research would not know what is mere opinion and speculation, and what is real fact. It is a means of establishing the validity of scientific research.
- It is difficult for authors and researchers to spot every mistake in a piece of work so showing work to others increases the probability that weaknesses will be identified and addressed.
- It helps to prevent the dissemination of irrelevant findings, unwarranted claims, unacceptable interpretations, personal views and deliberate fraud.

Limitations -
- It isn't always possible to find an appropriate expert to review a research proposal/report. This means that poor research may be passed because the reviewer didn't really understand it.
- Anonymity is usually practised so that reviewers may be honest and objective. However it may have the opposite effect if reviewers use anonymity to settle 'old scores' or bury rival research.
- The reviewer's theoretical view may differ from that in the research report so they may judge it less favourably.
- There may be institution bias (tendency to favour research from prestigious institutions)
- There may be gender bias (tendency to favour male researchers)
- There may be publication bias as peer review tends to favour the publication of positive results (results supporting the hypothesis), possibly because editors want research that has important implications in order to increase the standing of their journal.

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NHM
a01- 8
a02- 12

Thanks man I appreciate it
For depression:

Bio explanation counts as heritibality (twin studies) and biochemical (permissive amine theory)

Psych explanation - freudian psych + becks cognitive triad/learned helplesness

that would be right or do i need different things?
Anyone else wanna have a go at marking this essay:

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=157265

it would help me out a lot as its the structure im trying to base my essays on

reps to anyone who marks it
Guys can you please help me with non directional hypothesis. Why sometimes in MS it says "No marks for referring to association or difference"? Isn't it just a statement that there will be a difference, but we don't know which way. I'm really confused now. :frown:
Guys im so confused:
For 'Discuss research into...' Is that the same as 'Outline and evaluate' - so description of the general theory? OR is it specifically JUST research findings?

So is 'Discuss research studies into...' different to 'Discuss research into...'
Original post by kuraishi
Guys can you please help me with non directional hypothesis. Why sometimes in MS it says "No marks for referring to association or difference"? Isn't it just a statement that there will be a difference, but we don't know which way. I'm really confused now. :frown:

That's only when it's a correlated data.
Original post by bullseye1
Thankyou!!

That's actually fairly inaccurate, it's a little lower. It was 62~68 ums in the A2 papers to get an A. So if you had gotten As in the AS and hit around 65 ums for both then you've got an A.

It wouldn't make sense to get all As and it being a B because it's not 320 ums in total lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 14grahamr
Guys im so confused:
For 'Discuss research into...' Is that the same as 'Outline and evaluate' - so description of the general theory? OR is it specifically JUST research findings?

So is 'Discuss research studies into...' different to 'Discuss research into...'

No they all mean the same thing
Can someone please explain to me the science and psychology stuff about kuhn and popper. I cant seem to find a question on research methods from AQA worried it will come up im sure my teacher has showed us in class cant remember?

Would appreciate anyone helping give some information and/or provide a past question on this
Original post by Allibay
No they all mean the same thing

So for them is it just actually named research such e.g 'Bandura found that...' and not something like 'this theory says that aggression is common...'? Thank you so much!!
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Can someone please explain to me the science and psychology stuff about kuhn and popper. I cant seem to find a question on research methods from AQA worried it will come up im sure my teacher has showed us in class cant remember?

Would appreciate anyone helping give some information and/or provide a past question on this

Ive never ever heard of this its not in the texbook?
Original post by Romanoff
Equal to or less than 5% chance that the results are due to chance, yes

Okay thanks, and whats the reason they use 0.05%? I've seen this as a question before!
Can someone help me with Issues surrounding the classification and diagnosis of depression? I've got an example essay printed in front of me, and there is a **** tonne of studies in it. Do I really ned that many studies??

Plz halp
Original post by nemanuel96
That's actually fairly inaccurate, it's a little lower. It was 62~68 ums in the A2 papers to get an A. So if you had gotten As in the AS and hit around 65 ums for both then you've got an A.

It wouldn't make sense to get all As and it being a B because it's not 320 ums in total lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's not, you're referring to raw marks which then have to be converted into ums. You always need 320 ums, and going off last year, their AS result means they need 155 ums in A2 to get an A.
What your suggesting means that the person needs only 130 ums, which wouldnt give them the required ums for an A (320).
hi guys ive not revised models for addiction cant seem to get my head around them which one do you think would be more likely to come up?:frown:
Just did the 2015 research methods and got 20/35 -_- I give up with research methods
Do we have to evaluate the scientific method?
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM

I've never heard of it, what's it about? is it about the whole 'is psychology a science' debate?

Latest

Trending

Trending