The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by wenogk
I really don't get that, can you tell me what the class width is - is it 5 because its in the 5< y <10 class... Would you be kind enough to do this question plsss

Your 18.26 is the mean +1 standard deviation. You are asked to see how many plants are bigger than this. So you need to see how many plants are in the 15 to 25 interval are bigger than 18.26.
You need to know how many plants are bigger than 18.26 in this interval.
So find the fraction of the interval you have which is 3.26/10 (how far along the interval you are/ the interval size)
Multiply this fraction by 12 to see how many plants this is (3.91)
So the plants in the interval bigger than this is (12-3.91) = 8.09
Add the 4 plants in the higher interval is 12.09 (=12)
hope this helps
Original post by Glib
Any really hard papers?

Jan 2016 IAL and june 2015 .
Reply 382
Original post by Person18
As long as you didn't cross it out, you'd get the marks

so if i am unsure of a question i can potentially answer it more than once as long as i don't cross out?
Reply 383
Original post by Kadak

where can i find jan 2016 ial?
Original post by haes

I can only find it but with an unofficial mark scheme attached (on tsr). Jan 2015 IAL looks hard also(its on physicsandmathstutor).
Original post by haes

Someone posted in on the thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65730797&postcount=266
Reply 386

thank you!
Reply 387
Original post by candol
Your 18.26 is the mean +1 standard deviation. You are asked to see how many plants are bigger than this. So you need to see how many plants are in the 15 to 25 interval are bigger than 18.26.
You need to know how many plants are bigger than 18.26 in this interval.
So find the fraction of the interval you have which is 3.26/10 (how far along the interval you are/ the interval size)
Multiply this fraction by 12 to see how many plants this is (3.91)
So the plants in the interval bigger than this is (12-3.91) = 8.09
Add the 4 plants in the higher interval is 12.09 (=12)
hope this helps

Wow thank you so much!
Reply 388
Original post by 4nonymous
Here's how I did it:
1 standard deviation above the mean has a yield of 18.3 so you need to look at the group 15<y<25
So for normal interpolation you do
Lower bound + how far in group/frequency of group *class width =18.3
and so rearrange to get how far in the group=18.3 - LB /class width *frequency

So
15 + ?/12 * 10=18.3
rearrange ?=3.96
But this shows the number of plants that have a yield between 15<y<18.3
and you want above so in that group there are 12 plants so 12 - 3.96 + the extra 4 in the next group =12.04 so 12 plants.

Yay I got it, you guys rock!
When they say give an interpretation of b ,what is usually meant ?
Just found some notes I made a long time ago, and I don't recognise this equation from any past papers. Is there any chance that it could come up?

"Discrete uniform distribution: Var(X) = (n+1)(n-1)/12 = (n^2 - 1)/12."
Original post by ombtom
Just found some notes I made a long time ago, and I don't recognise this equation from any past papers. Is there any chance that it could come up?

"Discrete uniform distribution: Var(X) = (n+1)(n-1)/12 = (n^2 - 1)/12."

I have not come across it in past papers.I remember asking my teacher and she said it was unlikely.I think you just need to recognise a discrete uniform distribution and know the EX value is the middle number by symmetry.
Reply 393
Original post by Kadak
When they say give an interpretation of b ,what is usually meant ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0p0rYD36E
Original post by Kadak

do u have a link for Jan 2016 IAL? thanks
Original post by lydiaws
do u have a link for Jan 2016 IAL? thanks

Look a couple of comments above on this same page ,hoegree gave an excellent link.
Reply 396
Anyone have notes on the answering the worded questions about benifets of stat models e.t.c.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fml
Original post by hogree
Is there a particular question that you find hard? One thing to remember that PMCC never changes with coding. Dont know if this helps?

Nope. Tree Diagrams arent always independent. So flipping a coin would be an independent event, since the second flip doesn't change dependent on the first flip. But boys and girls cycling to school would be dependent as the odds for cycling would go up, say, if you were a girl in comparison to if you were a boy.

Because women can't drive???😏😏😂
Kiddddingggggg.
Anywayssss. Thanks that makes sense actually :smile:)
Yo guys, do we have to learn all the proofing for all the equations in S1, if so, anyones got all the proofs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending