The Student Room Group

Edexcel Statistics (S1): Coding?

Hi,
I've seen the term "coding" mentioned in my textbook and in some revision resources online, however I don't understand what it actually means?
Was hoping someone could shed some light on this :smile:
Hasan
basically they will code up a table of results for example

p 20 30 40 50 60
q 5 4 3 2 1

p= x*10
q= y/2

so the actual results would be

x 2 3 4 5 6
y 10 8 6 4 2

you could be asked how it affects certain calculations many of which it doesn't affect because the results have gone up proportionally. i think you can be asked to code results or uncode results and why its used(( to make larger numbers easier to work with)) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by miranda_1998
basically they will code up a table of results for example

p 20 30 40 50 60
q 5 4 3 2 1

p= x*10
q= y/2

so the actual results would be

x 2 3 4 5 6
y 10 8 6 4 2

you could be asked how it affects certain calculations many of which it doesn't affect because the results have gone up proportionally. i think you can be asked to code results or uncode results and why its used(( to make larger numbers easier to work with)) :smile:

ok thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Original post by HasanRaza1
Hi,
I've seen the term "coding" mentioned in my textbook and in some revision resources online, however I don't understand what it actually means?
Was hoping someone could shed some light on this :smile:
Hasan

There's most likely a section dedicated to it in your textbook - it's worth looking over. Miranda has explained it very well, so you just need to get some practice with it.
The key things to look at for coding (for edexcel s1 anyway) are how it affects mean, std devn, expectation, variance, pmcc, and the regression line.

Quick Reply

Latest