The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
But 0.75 includes the probability that the third person gets a merit as well, in which case you'd get 3 merit marks when the question specifically wants exactly 2 merit marks. So the probability that the third person passes but does not get a merit is 0.75 - 0.25

Can you use p(A|B) with this, given that all 3 pass?
Original post by thelegend99
Can you use p(A|B) with this, given that all 3 pass?

No. You could still have 3 passes and all three people get merits. This question has nothing to do with conditional probability.
Original post by Zacken
1) 3 sig figs. But all working previous to the final answer should be to as much accuracy as possible, only round to 3 sig figs at the end.

2) use asterisks to denote the outliers.

So when we are working out the a we use the fraction value of b not the rounded one?

And thanks
Original post by Mina_
Screenshot 2016-06-14 19.37.33.png

Can someone explain part (d)

Please can you link the jan 16 ial model answers (/answers) and questions? Thanks!
Reply 544
Original post by SweetChilliCake
Ahh so you expand the brackets first 😃. Thanks.

What paper is this from
Reply 545
hoping all the questions are good.
the questions are going to be similar to past papers and of course there is a CALCULATOR :smile:
Original post by Zacken
No. You could still have 3 passes and all three people get merits. This question has nothing to do with conditional probability.

Gotcha, thanks! I think you get asked this a lot, but would you say that ial 2016/2015 are the hardest ones?
Reply 547
solomon papers are useful
Reply 548
and obviously do more of the real-style ones
Original post by thelegend99
Gotcha, thanks! I think you get asked this a lot, but would you say that ial 2016/2015 are the hardest ones?

Not really, I sat 2016 IAL and thought it was really easy. The grade boundaries seem to disagree though?
for the jan 2016 international paper for 5c, does anyone know why the answer is negative 0.8416, rather than positive?

Does anyone have a summary of how coding affects things
How many significant figures for answers?
Original post by Mina_
What paper is this from

Solomon L
Original post by Zacken
Not really, I sat 2016 IAL and thought it was really easy. The grade boundaries seem to disagree though?

Yeah, that does seem kinda low for an A
Reply 555
Original post by popan006
for the jan 2016 international paper for 5c, does anyone know why the answer is negative 0.8416, rather than positive?

When you draw out the norm distribution graph, the 18 is on the left side, therefore it's negative
has anyone got anything with key points to remember for tomorrow
Original post by HeenaChowdry
So when we are working out the a we use the fraction value of b not the rounded one?

And thanks

Yeah
OK guys,

I've been losing marks on those type of questions that revolve around normal distribution and conditional probability. Here are 2 examples of a similar method for answering. What shall I do when answering these questions?

JUN 13 Q4c)

Spoiler

JAN 13 Q5c)

Spoiler

Hi, for last year's June 2015 paper. In the last question they've written P(X>w / X>28)
Is that "/" a divide sign or a "given that" sign?
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending