The Student Room Group

AQA English Language A A2 (ENGA3) 2015.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by may_1
okay so main advice if i can remember:

-KILL A01. if your going to revise anything in detail make it all your clause names, names of different types of words and phrases, language devices etc. know them ALL. This is by far the easiest way to pick up marks and you can pick up A LOT with it, and all your doing is labelling. Even if your just calling the word 'the' a pronoun. Key is variety here too, try to include as many different examples as you can.

I would also say seriously think outside the box and think of in depth, original ideas if you can. Luckily this is something I did really well under the exam pressure, but if your doing A2 english language your probably talented at this anyway. Allow yourself to expand on these ideas as well.

To be completely honest I can't really remember much about the lang change or variation (mostly because i left my revision until the day before as it was my last exam). I do remember a lot of it was regurgitated information but key is really weaving it in well into the text your given.

:smile:

For thinking outside the box, I'm guessing we shoud have beackground knowledge on certain happenings. what kind of websites could I read on things that for example, occured in the 19th and 20th century>? etc
Reply 221
Original post by Zay96
For thinking outside the box, I'm guessing we shoud have beackground knowledge on certain happenings. what kind of websites could I read on things that for example, occured in the 19th and 20th century>? etc

it can be helpful definitely and you will pick up marks that way but i more mean like analysing things quite deeply and thinking of your own really original ideas and analysis .
Reply 222
Any predictions of what could come up in rhe Language Discourse section????
Reply 223
Original post by may_1
it can be helpful definitely and you will pick up marks that way but i more mean like analysing things quite deeply and thinking of your own really original ideas and analysis .

Ok, thanks. Any advice for me for the last queation- the discourse one
Reply 224
Does anybody know how many UMS you need out of the full 400 for a grade B?
Reply 225
Original post by wickedisgood
Don't say that 'the' is a pronoun, it's actually a determiner/the definite article lmao. Otherwise all the rest of the advice is good.

Mate I've finished my A2's and I got full UMS and an A* in english language. I really don't care. I don't think it's that bizarre I can't remember every detail, having been in Australia working for the past 9 months, and having not done anything academic for a year. I was just trying to help a bit- I won't anymore though- sorry...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by may_1
Mate I've finished my A2's and I got full UMS and an A* in english language. I really don't care. I don't think it's that bizarre I can't remember every detail, having been in Australia working for the past 9 months, and having not done anything academic for a year. I was just trying to help a bit- I won't anymore though- sorry...

Whoa guy chill out, I said what you said was good, I was just correcting it so the asker didn't actually write that and make a mistake. We're all here to help, calm down!
Original post by Kay_96
Does anybody know how many UMS you need out of the full 400 for a grade B?

Around 280 for a grade B. :smile:
The 3 most recent posts on here are about ENGA3 revision, so I hope they help.
Does anyone have any predictions for question 3, the language discourses section?
Reply 230
Original post by merkatron
The 3 most recent posts on here are about ENGA3 revision, so I hope they help.

Thanks, that's exactly what I've been looking through today. Because he added those, do you think he's predicting that those will come up??
Global English hasn't come up for some time...

Do you have any predictions of what might come up for the discourse section?
No, it was me who posted them and they aren't predictions. Best to revise them all really as anything could come up, but a bit late for that now, obvs! Good luck tomorrow
👍
Reply 232
I know its all out of the way and over and done with but I just want to know if I did it correctly as I am a little worried.

Question 2 : to what extent are non standard varieties inferior to standard English?

I wrote about :
-attitudes towards SE (John honey)
-BBE (linked to text C - is that right? We're they speaking in BBE bc they were immigrants and i spotted some features but wasn't 100% sure)
-Viv Edwards
-Code switching
- I then concluded non standard varieties are not inferior on the condition that they can code switch, as ellaborative code is essential in formal situations.

Does this sound right? I'm worried bc i didn't right about any other dialects other than BBE and standard English. Partly bc of time and i thought it didn't link with the text. Is this right or have I done it wrong?
Original post by Jkp98
I know its all out of the way and over and done with but I just want to know if I did it correctly as I am a little worried.

Question 2 : to what extent are non standard varieties inferior to standard English?

I wrote about :
-attitudes towards SE (John honey)
-BBE (linked to text C - is that right? We're they speaking in BBE bc they were immigrants and i spotted some features but wasn't 100% sure)
-Viv Edwards
-Code switching
- I then concluded non standard varieties are not inferior on the condition that they can code switch, as ellaborative code is essential in formal situations.

Does this sound right? I'm worried bc i didn't right about any other dialects other than BBE and standard English. Partly bc of time and i thought it didn't link with the text. Is this right or have I done it wrong?

I spoke simply about Giles+ Poundsland etc basically RP being valued more by academics and scoring more for intelligence and more studies like that and then how language is affected by gender and peer influences as well (so it's not just down to one's ethnicity) then Prescriptivism/Determinism and evaluated all those ideas. Spoke about functionalist theory and identity - why people use it and then Concluded with Honey and Milroy - argument against high status of SE.
Reply 234
Original post by patricio_miguel
I spoke simply about Giles+ Poundsland etc basically RP being valued more by academics and scoring more for intelligence and more studies like that and then how language is affected by gender and peer influences as well (so it's not just down to one's ethnicity) then Prescriptivism/Determinism and evaluated all those ideas. Spoke about functionalist theory and identity - why people use it and then Concluded with Honey and Milroy - argument against high status of SE.

Damn it! You see i knew all that but didnt have time, and wasnt 100% sure if it was right. Do you think i will get marked down for not including others? Feel so upset and worried now
Original post by Jkp98
Damn it! You see i knew all that but didnt have time, and wasnt 100% sure if it was right. Do you think i will get marked down for not including others? Feel so upset and worried now

I did it wrong myself haha! My essay was fully based on Prescriptivism/Determinism! When it was asking about studies like Giles/Poundsland, Trudgill and all of that ...basically the question was "outline attitudes to accents&dialects" and there's me talking about crumbling castle 😭😭😭
+ it's only 7.5-10% of your overall grade so don't worry about it whatsoever...
Basically...I didn't know what "inferior" meant lol 😂 I assumed it was saying that non-standard "erodes" SE...when it was just asking if it's of a lower status 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Reply 238
Original post by patricio_miguel
I did it wrong myself haha! My essay was fully based on Prescriptivism/Determinism! When it was asking about studies like Giles/Poundsland, Trudgill and all of that ...basically the question was "outline attitudes to accents&dialects" and there's me talking about crumbling castle 😭😭😭

Haha oh ****! Wasnt it about ethnicty though? Supposed to link it to the texts and the text was about immigrants! Like a cross between ethnicity and accent ? (Bc standard eng) ??

We actually shouldve gone with question 1, this was a ****ing trick question😭😭😭
Original post by Jkp98
Haha oh ****! Wasnt it about ethnicty though? Supposed to link it to the texts and the text was about immigrants! Like a cross between ethnicity and accent ? (Bc standard eng) ??

We actually shouldve gone with question 1, this was a ****ing trick question😭😭😭

It had nothing to do with ethnicity haha it said "non-standard varieties"! So basically all the Labov stuff , Cheshire, and **** that I didn't ****ing put it lol wrote 12 sides of nonsense basically ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending