The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanroks1
I didn't sit F452 yesterday but it might be worth emailing OCR if you feel there were any problems. I emailed them last year about that 'FreeMeals' variable error and they responded with a pretty lengthy letter that did mention complaints are taken into account during the awarding process (ie setting grade boundaries).

whats there email?
Original post by MrSplash
whats there email?

[email protected] (from the website)
I've gotten this back from them....

Dear Mohamed

OCR AssessmentsThank you for your emails earlier today.We have a formal procedure for dealing with all such feedback. We are progressing the issues you have raised through that route and we will be in contact with you again shortly.

Yours sincerely
Customer Service Team
Original post by geekface98

Dear Mohamed

OCR AssessmentsThank you for your emails earlier today.We have a formal procedure for dealing with all such feedback. We are progressing the issues you have raised through that route and we will be in contact with you again shortly.

Yours sincerely
Customer Service Team

Keep us updated.

Dear Mohamed

Yours sincerely
Customer Service Team

That's just a BS reply. Ffs I'm actually done with these exam boards pisses me off
Has anyone seen any questions on MFQ(Multi-level feedback queues) in past papers?
Original post by Aydin7
Has anyone seen any questions on MFQ(Multi-level feedback queues) in past papers?

Wtf is that
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465998552.642579.jpg
It's one of the scheduling algorithms(3.1.2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aydin7
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465998552.642579.jpg
It's one of the scheduling algorithms(3.1.2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never heard of it either. Is it from one of them funny textbooks? Some are too detailed and go into greater detail than the specification requires.
Original post by ExamBuddy101
Never heard of it either. Is it from one of them funny textbooks? Some are too detailed and go into greater detail than the specification requires.

It's actually quite concise and uses definitions from the mark scheme. The spec doesn't outline which scheduling algorithms so I guess its just in there to be on the safe side.
I still have 5 PP to do so I wasn't sure if it came up on any of those.
Thanks for the help.
Reply 170
Original post by pragyas265
OCR grade boundaries were really low last year. You could lose approximately 40 marks and still get an A.
Btw, what did you get for the question where you had to calculate the size of the file? It was in question 1,

I wrote string with size 10 bytes, floats with size 2 bytes x5, and boolean with size 1 byte. Then added it all together, (to get 21 bytes) multiplied it by 3600x3, then multiplied it by 1.1, then divided by 1024. I think I may be missing one of the values on the table, I'm not too sure.
IMG-20160615-WA0000.jpg
**** ocr
It was 67 for an A last year... I got 66

Out of 100 right?
I have a question in relation to RISC & CISC. Here is my understanding of the terms, roughly:

RISC- Relatively small instruction set, complete given task in 1 clock cycle, each instruction performs a relatively simple operation. 1 CISC instruction = many RISC instructions

CISC - 100's variable format instructions - many include low-level operations to complete a single instruction. There are a wide variety of addressing modes which can include array processing instructions. Complex & can take dozens of clock cycles to complete. More than 1 register sets may be used.

However, there are some inconsistencies in the mark schemes which I have attached and I am a bit confused. Thoughts?

2011-06-F453: 3) b) i) State 3 features of CISC architecture & ii) Disadvantage of CISC compared to RISC, other than cost

2010-01-F453: 3) b) i) Complete the table & ii) Compare the number of machine cycles used by RISC & CISC to complete a single instruction.

F453-Jan 2010-Q3.png
Attachment not found
Original post by ExamBuddy101
I have a question in relation to RISC & CISC. Here is my understanding of the terms, roughly:

RISC- Relatively small instruction set, complete given task in 1 clock cycle, each instruction performs a relatively simple operation. 1 CISC instruction = many RISC instructions

CISC - 100's variable format instructions - many include low-level operations to complete a single instruction. There are a wide variety of addressing modes which can include array processing instructions. Complex & can take dozens of clock cycles to complete. More than 1 register sets may be used.

However, there are some inconsistencies in the mark schemes which I have attached and I am a bit confused. Thoughts?

2011-06-F453: 3) b) i) State 3 features of CISC architecture & ii) Disadvantage of CISC compared to RISC, other than cost

2010-01-F453: 3) b) i) Complete the table & ii) Compare the number of machine cycles used by RISC & CISC to complete a single instruction.

F453-Jan 2010-Q3.png
Attachment not found

Just a prime example of OCR's inadequacies. If a question comes up on it this year, I'm going to stick with the fact RISC singular instructions can be executed in a single cycle, but in order to perform tasks, may need to be joined together. However, one CISC instruction may perform a full task but can take multiple cycles to do so. I think the mark scheme messed up on that one...

To be safe, if the question did come up, it might be best we email OCR with those screenshots to confirm if either would be accepted given they clearly don't even know what's right!
Reply 175
Just a prime example of OCR's inadequacies. If a question comes up on it this year, I'm going to stick with the fact RISC singular instructions can be executed in a single cycle, but in order to perform tasks, may need to be joined together. However, one CISC instruction may perform a full task but can take multiple cycles to do so. I think the mark scheme messed up on that one...

To be safe, if the question did come up, it might be best we email OCR with those screenshots to confirm if either would be accepted given they clearly don't even know what's right!

Yeah I also get confused on those questions :s-smilie: I think each "instruction" takes a single cycle in each processor, however a "task" may be made of multiple instructions in RISC. OCR seems to use the terms interchangeably (stupid I know).

From one Ryan to another, cheers .. Yea I'll probably just do the same. They seem to do a lucky dip with the mark scheme sometimes and just pull out whatever they want to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jamuk
Yeah I also get confused on those questions :s-smilie: I think each "instruction" takes a single cycle in each processor, however a "task" may be made of multiple instructions in RISC. OCR seems to use the terms interchangeably (stupid I know).

If it comes up, just pray to every God from every religion and flip a coin. We should be fine.
How is everyone feeling about F453? It's getting close now eek
F453 June 2012 Q5(c)

Question:
https://gyazo.com/4be2438bdd00b410603bf86f88307bf9

Mark Scheme:
https://gyazo.com/35a616546b5b6120cfebcf5ef2770eab

Can somebody possibly explain this visually with a diagram? I understand how a queue data structure is used briefly and how its uses pointers but in context I'm a little confused. I got the first point but the rest confused me.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending