The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Economics F585 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fpmaniac
What am I supposed to do with the extracts?? Ive barely annotated them because we didnt have enough time to talk about the extracts and i dont really know what im supposed to do with them tbh. I know you will have to refer to them in the exam but how do i prepare for it.... what stuff do I rememmber/highlight

You don't need to remember anything from them as you'll have a clean copy in the exam.

Also, for your question on referencing, you can use the data e.g. In extract two if there was a question about usa changing their exchange rate, you could use fig 2.2 to state by how much it was devalued over the 6 years
Does this make sense? If it doesn't just let me know I'll try to explain better

For the highlighting, I highlighted aspects that I though could be defined or things I can use to reference in the exam.

You mainly need to make sure you understand all aspects of the stimulus, e.g. If it mention terms of trade, make sure you know what it is how it can be applied to the different aspects mentioned in extract 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone please answer this:

Discuss the extent to which internal constraints are more significant than external contrasts to economic development in Zambia.
Reply 482
Can we do government spending and lower corporation tax as supply side reforms? Aren't all LR fiscal policies SSPs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessparhar
What points would you make in a question like : comment on the extent to which the change in the effective exchange rate index of US dollars will have contributed to the change in the USA's current account deficit

You could talk about price competitiveness and about global demand for US exports. You could mention how the CA deficit decreased during the financial crisis because there was a fall in global incomes and so less demand for imports in the US

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 484
List of supply side policies:

Privitisation
Lower taxes
Deregulation
Increased education and training
Less bureaucracy
Spending on education and training
Reply 485
Original post by Pato1
List of supply side policies:

Privitisation
Lower taxes
Deregulation
Increased education and training
Less bureaucracy
Spending on education and training

Is government spending on infrastructure one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 487
Original post by 260498
Is government spending on infrastructure one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Reply 488
Reply 489
Analyse TWO possible reasons why changes in the effective exchange rate failed to havetheir “expected impact on the US current account deficit”

One reason for the failure of exchange rate movements to eliminate the US current account deficit isthat, despite the change in relative prices, US demand for Chinese products and Chinese demandfor US products were insufficiently price elastic for trade volumes to move significantly. (1)Currency depreciation can boost exports and indeed export revenue, but only if foreign demand iselastic. (1) Similarly, currency depreciation can cause a larger than proportional contraction of demandfor imports, but only if demand for imports is elastic. (1) According to the Marshall Lerner condition,following depreciation or devaluation, a combination of falling prices for exports and rising prices forimports will only solve the problem of deficit if trade volumes move significantly, (1) ie the sum of thetwo elasticities of demand exceed one. (1)

A second reason for a continuing significant US trade deficit may be derived from the fact that USgoods and services may be becoming relatively less competitive in quality terms, thereforerepresenting poorer value for money. (1) This would mean that, at constant prices, less would bedemanded and, therefore, any increase in demand from overseas for US products arising from thefalling prices associated with the US dollar depreciation, would be reduced by the loss of demand from this loss of competitiveness. (1) Although the overall impact of these two influences on the total value of exports would depend on the relative significance of each, and also on price elasticity of demand for exports, the total export revenue would certainly be less than it would otherwise be if US products were becoming less competitive, and so the trade deficit would be sustained. (1)
Reply 490
Original post by Pato1
Analyse TWO possible reasons why changes in the effective exchange rate failed to havetheir “expected impact on the US current account deficit”

One reason for the failure of exchange rate movements to eliminate the US current account deficit isthat, despite the change in relative prices, US demand for Chinese products and Chinese demandfor US products were insufficiently price elastic for trade volumes to move significantly. (1)Currency depreciation can boost exports and indeed export revenue, but only if foreign demand iselastic. (1) Similarly, currency depreciation can cause a larger than proportional contraction of demandfor imports, but only if demand for imports is elastic. (1) According to the Marshall Lerner condition,following depreciation or devaluation, a combination of falling prices for exports and rising prices forimports will only solve the problem of deficit if trade volumes move significantly, (1) ie the sum of thetwo elasticities of demand exceed one. (1)

A second reason for a continuing significant US trade deficit may be derived from the fact that USgoods and services may be becoming relatively less competitive in quality terms, thereforerepresenting poorer value for money. (1) This would mean that, at constant prices, less would bedemanded and, therefore, any increase in demand from overseas for US products arising from thefalling prices associated with the US dollar depreciation, would be reduced by the loss of demand from this loss of competitiveness. (1) Although the overall impact of these two influences on the total value of exports would depend on the relative significance of each, and also on price elasticity of demand for exports, the total export revenue would certainly be less than it would otherwise be if US products were becoming less competitive, and so the trade deficit would be sustained. (1)

More competitive* otherwise awesome. Good answer
Guys what are structural issues and how do they affect economic development
Reply 492
Original post by flairs
How would you write about deregulation raising long run economic growth and LRAS?

Dereg would mean less licensing needed/health and safety standards to met in order to do business. This would make Zambia attractive place for FDI... Influx of foreign investment would lead to job creation. Demand for labor increases.. Employment increases. Change in quantity of FoP (labour) leads to long run growth.

Could mention how FDI may lead to Mnc investment in capital infastructure, improving the capital stock of Zambia I.e roads

Fdi may train workers... Increase human capital, occupational mobility of labour. More resilient in the face of global shocks due to less structural problems etc
Original post by Todd199
This would be my structure. I amnot too sure how much marks this will get though, so please leave anysuggestions for improvements. This is using a mixture of Econplusdal G conomicsand the APT's resources

1 - definition of long run growth and supply sidepolicies. I would throw in FDI here too, but not necessary.
2 - explain why supply side isneeded. Do alter this to reason which are mostly mentioned in your argumentbelow. ( i am using the issue of high inflation at 6.5%, dependency on copperprimary commodity issue and "lack of infrastructure" includingroad, railways,etc.

3 - Spendingon infrastructure >> attracts new FDI and new business>>reduces there costs>>> more productive efficiency>>>LRAS shifts right. *insert diagram here* and this can also deals with theinflation problem . Also as extra talk about the poor power supply, thusinvesting in this can also increase attractiveness. (FACT, 90% of Zambia'spower supply in from hydro-electric, which is vulnerable)

4 - DEREGULATION -essentially a similar argument from above as it attracts for FDI and smalllocal businesses. (done through reduction is red tape or otherlegal stuff....) I wouldwrite here that for this to be effective, it has to be a significant amountcompared to other local developing countries.

5- Use of EconomicZone ->> can help move away from the dependency from exports of copperand imports of raw material to other industries. There are further benefitshere.. primary commodities are volatile blahblah...

6 - FUNDING ISSUE - Zambia has ineffective tax system soquestion of where the money will come from. ODA may help but Taxes may be themost likely use.

7- UNKNOWN OUTCOMES...cant predict it will happened... also issues with businesses not beingattracted by economic zone due to high corp tax after the 5 years finish.Resource nationalisation may deter FDI and small businesses.

8- INFANT INDUSTRIES - (WATCH G conomics)

JUDGEMENT
- yes it is effective inpromoting long run growth if method of taxing is made more effective.... - yes as it help move away from primary commodities dependency. however it is not enough alone, monetary policy ( Watch G conomics please) also ECONOMICS ZONES can lead to inequality between regions as it encourages firms to set up in one place. ( perhaps a solution is to create more economic zone in other regions of the country. not too sure about this point) . Sorry for the lack of detail, the page crashed and i got lazy typing it all out again. Do let me know what you please. It will be so helpful :smile:. Also if there is anything you like but may not understand because of the lack of detail, message me. G conomics link covers a lot the stuff i mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WXK_aCPgnI

Hope this might help
Reply 494
Original post by uzochi97x
Guys what are structural issues and how do they affect economic development

So I think structural issues is kinda like Zambia's inflexibility in terms of their production... Like they only produce primary sector stuff, which according to prebish singer hypothesis suggests that over time they will suffer from deteriorating terms of trade and have to export more Commodities to import the equivalent basket of imports they were previously.

Their lack of ability to import secondary sector capital goods to promote the production of manufacturing goods is obviously limited so they don't have the ability to build hospitals or schools which affects human capital and development et.c

Could think further in terms of development in terms of capability. The fact that Zambians are used to doing the same thing. They do not use credit productively in the form of savings etc. lack of educations leads to a lack of proper financial institutions which instead are provided by foreign banks who charge High rates of interest for borrowing and low for saving.

If Zambians were more educated in terms of credit and savings, perhaps they could save more money which harod domar model suggests is imperative for investment to occur. As more savings would leave banks with more investment opportunities in Zambian projects/infastructure.

Sorry I went on a bit of a tangent don't even know if all this stuff is relevant. Jus reciting some stuff I can think off the top of my ead. Hope u learned something tho

If I am wrong someone pls lemme kno so I I can edit it. Don't wanna be putting false info on ere
(edited 7 years ago)
Are the structural issues those mentioned in the case study
Like poor infrastructure , poor access to credit and excessive bureaucracy regulation and licensing requirements
Should start a whatsapp group chat ...
I agree my number is 07459131684

Message so I can add u to the group chat

Original post by Asif_m96
Should start a whatsapp group chat ...
Reply 499
could someone pls help answer:
Analyse the effect of international trade on developing countries. (6)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending