The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Here's a link to all the grade boundaries for each year. Last year it was 97 raw for a* and 86 for an a.
Was there a question about systematic addressing in the paper?
Was there a question about systematic adressing?
Original post by Hooch Is Crazy

Don't think so! :smile:
CascThanks07418
Don't think so! :smile:

I thought i skipped a page when someone asked that :h:
Reply 305
is the answer, the use of characters to represent an address of a store location?
Original post by jackkt_
is the answer, the use of characters to represent an address of a store location?

yes, e.g. ADD COUNT instead of ADD 45
Very Easy paper, pretty glad to be honest:smile:
Grade Boundaries gonna be high this year. Easy Paper. Most people were done within the first hour. But I don't know, Grade boundaries for Computing are usually low, so may just balance out.
Thank you OCR :smile:

High grade boundaries though...
Reply 310
Original post by jackkt_

It makes it much easier for programmers to understand and remember the addresses of important locations in the memory. They don't need to remember long strings of binary.
Reply 311
Original post by Sallekmo
Can someone tell me what the answer should have been for the 8 marker about CIR and the 6 marker about scope? And can someone draw the stepwise refinement thing too. Thanks

Discuss what the PC, the MDR, the MAR, the CIR do during execution. Mention how the PC works during a jump instruction I.e. increments until it reaches the value being executed. You can probably mention the flag register during decoding and even the accumulator during execution. Potentially even the general register.

The six marker just wanted you to discuss global and local variables. You could mention public or private but that's only really in OOP so it's probably not needed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rahmada
Discuss what the PC, the MDR, the MAR, the CIR do during execution. Mention how the PC works during a jump instruction I.e. increments until it reaches the value being executed. You can probably mention the flag register during decoding and even the accumulator during execution. Potentially even the general register.

The six marker just wanted you to discuss global and local variables. You could mention public or private but that's only really in OOP so it's probably not needed.

I think the 6 mark question stated something like "multiple variables called by procedures", i think they were looking for something similar to "variables are lost from memory once a procedure has finished executing therefore allowing the variable name to be reused in different procedures" (thats what i put anyway), I also talked about how local variables override global variables with the same name

I mentioned the use of global variables briefly but who knows you could be right :/
Original post by Hooch Is Crazy

Saw this on twitter, someone obviously read the question properly

They asked about "symbolic" addressing where a variable is used to represent an address in memory (for 4 marks....i think)
Original post by Sallekmo
Can someone tell me what the answer should have been for the 8 marker about CIR and the 6 marker about scope? And can someone draw the stepwise refinement thing too. Thanks

hierarchial-chart-blad.png

Exactly the same layout with one module at the top (calculating wages) and 4 sub modules underneath including the bullet points mentioned in the question, in the space below you had to describe what stepwise refinement was (modules broken down again and again into smaller modules until solvable algorithms are produced) referring to your diagram as examples plus some explanation behind it
I broke it down into Wages at top into 2 sub topics of Hours and Government. Under Government was Tax and National Insurance, under Hours was Hours worked and Hourly Rate.

Also What was the answer to why use HLL
A lot of people are saying that they think there will be high grade boundaries for this years people, but I sort of disagree. I don't think this years paper was any easier then last years and also this year had no "effortless/easy" marks, for example I've seen a question before worth 7 marks just put putting 7 ticks into a table. In my opinion the grade boundaries will be similar last years and if they are higher I doubt they would they would be more then one mark higher.
Here are last years grade boundaries:
Screenshot 2016-06-22 at 1.29.16 PM.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Value for the expo/mantissa 4b?
Original post by Piers456

First binary question (normalising 1.75)
Mantissa = 0111
Exponent = 001 (+1)

(going off the top of my head)
Original post by Piers456

I'm pretty i got 0111 001

Do you guys agree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending