The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

I thought there was a correct solution found to the 2nd rule?

Also, for SQL, I used strict inequalities and wrote WHERE Age>14 AND Age<19. Would this still suffice? I put a little note saying I'd used strict inequalities in case the examiner didn't realise, but I wasn't sure if I could use >= with SQL.
Original post by Dapperblook22
Yeah I also did ascending. I wrote down the algorithm first then completed it by explaining each line when the new pivots were chosen.

Oops, I didn't write an algorithm or an explanation, I purely just demonstrated. Would this not have been enough? I wasn't sure if they were requiring anything more given the fact there were no dotted lines.
Original post by Dapperblook22
Also which method did people use for the quick sort question? My whole class chose the pivot method, was wondering if anyone chose pointers.

I split the page into to two and on the left side I used the pointer method diagrammatically and on the right side I explained what was happening!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryanroks1
I thought there was a correct solution found to the 2nd rule?

Also, for SQL, I used strict inequalities and wrote WHERE Age>14 AND Age<19. Would this still suffice? I put a little note saying I'd used strict inequalities in case the examiner didn't realise, but I wasn't sure if I could use >= with SQL.

Yes, I done the exact same as you for this question. I think you can do <= or >= for SQL, I used it in my project but cannot fully remember. It should be fine because age is stored as an integer so if you are aged >= 15 or <= 18 that is the same as >14 or <19 agewise.
Original post by ryanroks1
Oops, I didn't write an algorithm or an explanation, I purely just demonstrated. Would this not have been enough? I wasn't sure if they were requiring anything more given the fact there were no dotted lines.

When they put an insertion sort in last year, they wanted comments such as "insert 17" etc, I assumed they wanted something similar for quick sort this year. I just did it to make sure I didn't miss anything out.
Original post by ajh2016
I split the page into to two and on the left side I used the pointer method diagrammatically and on the right side I explained what was happening!Posted from TSR Mobile

Although they hinted that they wanted a diagram as there were no dotted lines. I just wrote an explanation. In the mark schemes for similar questions they have shown a diagram and also awarded marks for an explanation. You seem to have double work but if correct you should be fine!
Was it just me, or did everyone finish in just over an hour?
Original post by Sarahhh274
Was it just me, or did everyone finish in just over an hour?

I reached end of the paper after 45 minutes, checked for 30 minutes and was ready to finish at that point :/
Other people that sat the exam were saying similar things.
Reply 348
Very nice exam, but I think the grade boundaries will be pretty similar to last year. The only question which was that challenging was the symbolic addressing one. I just mentioned how its the use of characters to represent an address and that during translation of an assembly language a symbolic address is replaced with a numeric address. I also mentioned stuff about variables are loaded into the symbol table during lex anaylsis and further detailed is added e.g scope during syntax analysis even though I'm not to sure if there's a relationship between symbolic addressing an symbol table.
Could anybody tell me if there's a relationship between a symbol table and symbolic address :P

I'll also try mark a mark scheme once econ4 and C4 is finished :smile:
I finished in about 1 hour, checked over a couple times, and the individuator let me go early

Only thin I wasn't sure about was the stepwise refinement
Reply 350
I mean I like fell asleep for 40 minutes of that exam, too easy
Looks like I'm the only one to fail this 😂
Concentrated too much on economics and c3 c4 which is all this week.. 5 exams :frown:
Original post by Piers456
Looks like I'm the only one to fail this 😂
Concentrated too much on economics and c3 c4 which is all this week.. 5 exams :frown:

I've done the opposite. I plan to learn the entirety of C4 in one day tomorrow. Not looking good :/
Original post by Sarahhh274
I've done the opposite. I plan to learn the entirety of C4 in one day tomorrow. Not looking good :/

Goodluck! :P
can please somebody tell me how you were to suppose to draw the E-R diagram. Think I might have done one of the easiest questions wrong. :frown: ??
it was the link the tables order, items and customers...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JakeForL1
can please somebody tell me how you were to suppose to draw the E-R diagram. Think I might have done one of the easiest questions wrong. :frown: ??

13494955_637606983071601_986657315113444339_n.jpg

That I think, but rotated anti-clockwise 90 degrees :smile:
Original post by JakeForL1

This is what I did but it might be wrong, I just assumed each order would have many items and multiple orders would have the same item so it would be a many to many relationship so I put in OrderItem in between to solve that, but I am not sure whether it specifically stated that was how their system worked.

It said a Customer will have many Orders and an Order will have many Items so I did, One to Many for Customer to Order then One to many from Order to Items
Original post by Cascadess
13494955_637606983071601_986657315113444339_n.jpg

That I think, but rotated anti-clockwise 90 degrees :smile:

but doesn't that mean many orders have 1 item... when the question said an order can have many items?
I might be wrong, but I wrote one customer to many orders. then one to many from orders to items.
Original post by jackpcraig
It said a Customer will have many Orders and an Order will have many Items so I did, One to Many for Customer to Order then One to many from Order to Items

I did the same

customer-----<-order-----<-item
single customer can place many orders and orders may have many items

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending