The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

How does the carrot produce CO2 at the start of the investigation? Do you discuss the Decarboxylation in the Kreb's Cycle?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1101
What was the answer to the 5 % co2 in air increasing heart rate, I wanted to write increased co2 in blood causing ventilation to increase blah blah but it said 'heart rate' increased, I just talked about lack of oxygen so heart pumps more blood to compensate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Larache
How does the carrot produce CO2 at the start of the investigation? Do you doscuss the Decarboxylation in the Kreb's Cycle?

Yup.
Original post by Larache
How does the carrot produce CO2 at the start of the investigation? Do you doscuss the Decarboxylation in the Kreb's Cycle?

yeh I just talked about respiration and how CO2 is lost during links reactions and in the krebs cycle etc
Reply 1104
Original post by GrandMasti
0.056 au min-1 for the mean rate of uptake

I got the same answer, but forgot to add min-1 in units, will I loose a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _H_V
What was the answer to the 5 % co2 in air increasing heart rate, I wanted to write increased co2 in blood causing ventilation to increase blah blah but it said 'heart rate' increased, I just talked about lack of oxygen so heart pumps more blood to compensate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talked about chemo-receptors in carotid artery detecting decrease in ph and the stages after that
Original post by _H_V

Posted from TSR Mobile

wasnt about lack of oxygen, increasing CO2 levels in the atmosphere means more CO2 inhaled and into the bloodstream, decreases ph as its more acidic. This is detected by chemoreceptors in carotid bodies etc, sends impuleses to medulla. Medulla then sends impulses to SAN more frequently etc etc
Original post by _H_V
I got the same answer, but forgot to add min-1 in units, will I loose a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt you get a mark for units
Reply 1108
Also, what was the answer to the six marker in question 7 about bacteria being able to take in co2 from engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _H_V
Also, what was the answer to the six marker in question 7 about bacteria being able to take in co2 from engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The usual probably; identify the gene for removing CO2, use a restriction (endonuclease) enzyme to cut out the gene, place into a vector (such as a plasmid) and so on?
Reply 1110
for the first multiple choice, what happens to the number of myosin heads - decrease/ increase/ stay the same??
Reply 1111
Original post by Fuego1
for the first multiple choice, what happens to the number of myosin heads - decrease/ increase/ stay the same??

i put stays the same
Original post by Fuego1

pretty certain it stays the same
Reply 1113
what did u lots put for the metabolic process about converting nitrogen into ammonia? wasn't even sure - just talked about enzymes (catalysts and lower activation e) , bacteria respiring and nitrogen being converted to nitrogen compounds in the soil by n-fixing bacteria. had no clue
Original post by WhatALad
And the question on the properties of the virus in Q7?:s-smilie:
I put
- does not cause disease/illness
- detects cancer cells

I think you're meant to put it has a protein coat contains with glycoprotein so virus can attach to the cancer cells and that it contains enzymes such as integrase which allows the DNA of the assassin cells to integrate into the cancer cells' DNA ?
Reply 1115
Am I the only one that found unit 4 somewhat easier than unit 5 lol
Reply 1116
Original post by Algeriandz
I put 3 and got told afterwards it was 1 so that's a mark lost for me
:frown:

oh no! dont worry it was only one mark

it reminded me of a past paper question where it asked for number of myofibrils, and the answer was three. so that was why i nearly put three as well.

Original post by WhatALad
And the question on the properties of the virus in Q7?:s-smilie:
I put
- does not cause disease/illness
- detects cancer cells

lol i put cell membrane and viral dna
i wrote about why it was it good for use. but then i thought features meant structure
darn

Original post by malutki27

i got 0.103
what was the correct way? i did [0.3+4+5]/90 = 0.103

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Pretty good paper much easier than that unit 4 trash.

Screwed up on Metabolic pathway and L dopa questions tho :L
Hope the mark scheme isnt too high

yes! for the metabolic pathway i wrote about nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil. but i couldnt remember the exact process. i just babbled about and wrote what i thought the definition of a metabolic pathway was
the l-dopa confused me. i put that its a precursor to dopamine. from the gut it enters the blood plasma and then the brain where it converts to dopamine. before 90min the l-dopa was entering the gut, after 90min the l-dopa was leaving the gut, entering the blood plasma.
but i feel i missed something crucial
Reply 1117
Original post by emfs
oh no! dont worry it was only one mark

it reminded me of a past paper question where it asked for number of myofibrils, and the answer was three. so that was why i nearly put three as well.

lol i put cell membrane and viral dna
i wrote about why it was it good for use. but then i thought features meant structure
darn

i got 0.103
what was the correct way? i did [0.3+4+5]/90 = 0.103

yes! for the metabolic pathway i wrote about nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil. but i couldnt remember the exact process. i just babbled about and wrote what i thought the definition of a metabolic pathway was
the l-dopa confused me. i put that its a precursor to dopamine. from the gut it enters the blood plasma and then the brain where it converts to dopamine. before 90min the l-dopa was entering the gut, after 90min the l-dopa was leaving the gut, entering the blood plasma.
but i feel i missed something crucial

I wrote too much dopamine neurotransmitters present in synapse (l-dopa converts into dopamine) not enough receptors on post synaptic membrane for all for dopamine to bind to so dopamine levels decreases as high concentration not needed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1118
Original post by Larache
The usual probably; identify the gene for removing CO2, use a restriction (endonuclease) enzyme to cut out the gene, place into a vector (such as a plasmid) and so on?

Ahh I thought the question asked how the bacteria is produced synthetically ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did people say about the 2 control variables for carrots? I put age and the source of the carrots (e.g same source for nutrients)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending