The Student Room Group

Predict your A/AS level Mathematics UMS!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.russell
I don't think it's always that low, but it definitely can be! Last years paper was quite hard, but I actually thought our paper was harder, although perhaps that's because it was an exam that I actually sat rather than doing as a past paper

I think it was harder than c4 personally as there were quite a few awkward questions. for instance the one where you had to say what the minimum value was which i know many people missed out or simply wrote down the same answer they got for part a.. also the iteration question with the change of sign was confusing as you had to equate the equations which isn't hard but people ( myself included ) would've just subbed in the values to the wrong equation as this is always the standard method... Also question 9 was quite tricky as it was using algebra and if you didn't see what T was in terms of the second and first dose then you wouldn't have been able to access the marks...
Original post by Bruhh
Umm person A wouldn't get an A* here....they'd need 95/85

oh god excuse my maths, its not like I'm off to do a maths degree either ...
Original post by fefssdf
I think it was harder than c4 personally as there were quite a few awkward questions. for instance the one where you had to say what the minimum value was which i know many people missed out or simply wrote down the same answer they got for part a.. also the iteration question with the change of sign was confusing as you had to equate the equations which isn't hard but people ( myself included ) would've just subbed in the values to the wrong equation as this is always the standard method... Also question 9 was quite tricky as it was using algebra and if you didn't see what T was in terms of the second and first dose then you wouldn't have been able to access the marks...

yeah ofc man! it was totally harder than c4 this year no question I messed up on 9c and also one of the trig questions, though hoping to lose less than 5 overall
yeah ofc man! it was totally harder than c4 this year no question I messed up on 9c and also one of the trig questions, though hoping to lose less than 5 overall

5 marks is alright - according to the model answers i've lost 20 marks... but in c4 I've lost like 5 max so idk I can't help but think c3 was harder but then again the marks I lost were through me not thinking and rushing near the end :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by fefssdf
oh god excuse my maths, its not like I'm off to do a maths degree either ...

haha, don't worry i've done much worse (in exams too) just thought i'd correct so as not to confuse
Original post by Bruhh
haha, don't worry i've done much worse (in exams too) just thought i'd correct so as not to confuse

this just reminds me of my several mistakes in c3 due to not using my brain clearly...lol
Hey if anyone here took the edexcel c4 paper, then you can take part in the poll to predict the boundary for 80ums :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4184817
Reply 47
Original post by fefssdf
To get an A*, you need 480 UMS OVERALL + you have to get 180ums in TOTAL from c3 and c4.
So for example.
Person A- 95 ums, and 85ums in c3 and c4, and 490 ums in total - they get an A*
Person B- 500 ums in total, but they get 78ums and 92ums in c3 and c4 - they get an A

hope that makes sense !

Are my grades good enough for an A* this year ??
I'm just here for reps
C1 ~ 92 ums // 100 ums
C2 ~ 96 ums // 100 ums
C3 ~ 92 ums // 93 ums
C4 ~ 96 ums // 96 ums
D1 ~ 80 ums // 100 ums

:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Exam Board: AQA

C1:77
C2:78
D1:82

C3:50-55 :frown:
C4:70
S1: 80?

I actually feel scared for maths. I was predicted an A in maths
C3-98
C4-94
M3-97
M4-100
M5-90
Fp2-100
Fp3-100
S2-100

Lets see how much these differ to the real thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Modules taken:
Actual UMS for AS
C1: 96
C2: 85
S1: 75

Predicted UMS for A2
C3: 66
C4: 85
M1: 90
Original post by Danllo
Are my grades good enough for an A* this year ??

If you meet the requirements then yes but if not then no
Reply 54
Exam Board: Edexcel

Exam: predicted/actual
C1: 100/97
C2: 96/99
C3: 96/100
C4: 98/98
M1: 70/78 (really screwed this one up)
FP1: 100/100
FP2: 98/?
FP3: 98/?
M2: 95/?
S2: 95/?
D1: 92/?
S1: 90/?

Haven't done S2 or FP3 yet so I'll update this Monday. Those marks are what I usually get on past papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Exam Board: OCR

Predicted/Actual UMS

C1: 87
C2: 93
C3: 99
D1: 88
M1: 87
S1: 89
FP1: 86

Surprisingly, C3 is my best score.
Reply 56
Original post by Guls

C1:77
C2:78
D1:82

C3:50-55 :frown:
C4:70
S1: 80?

I actually feel scared for maths. I was predicted an A in maths

How were you predicted an A if you got a B at AS. Or was that based on GCSE.
Original post by SGHD26716
How were you predicted an A if you got a B at AS. Or was that based on GCSE.

lots of schools do that
Reply 58
lol 71 was full last year, if 71 is full this year I'm gonna be bouncing off the walls cos then I should have 200/200 core ums lol
You're right about c3 being hard though, some of my friends who are really good at maths struggled with that paper a bit

Edexcel?

Also if 71 was full what would 68/9 be?
Re sat a lot of exams

Predicted

C1 - 98
C2 - 100
C3 - 94
C4 - 90
S1 - 85
S2 - 92
M1 - 62
FP1 - 82